The TV Thread

I watched last night's Sherlock, I missed the first half an hour but it's the first episode I've seen. Is it always like that?

Because - and without giving away spoilers - there was something awfully convenient about the whole thing; more so than Scooby Doo.

Halfway through a series and halfway through an episode is probably not the best way to approach any TV show in which Steven Moffat (co-creator of Sherlock and current head-honcho on Doctor Who) has had a hand. They're often confusing enough even if you've seen them from the start.

I thought the plot took a backseat to the characters in this week's Sherlock. Lots of entertaining dialogue going on, all well delivered by the cast, but I agree with you, it all seemed to tie up all too neatly and quickly at the end to be credible.

I think this show would benefit from a longer run, with more time to develop the characters and the plots as well, as too much material is being crammed into the meagre three episodes per year.

'The Taste' on Channel 4. An imported format from the USA with a judging panel of extreme Frenchman Ludo Lefebvre, Nigella 'sniff' Lawson and wiseguy Anthony Bourdain.

I reckon, for a series starter, it was okay. Unlike most other talent shows, they don't meet the competitors 'til they've tasted the food and made their final decision, so no sob stories, no 'journeys', just judgement.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Halfway through a series and halfway through an episode is probably not the best way to approach any TV show in which Steven Moffat (co-creator of Sherlock and current head-honcho on Doctor Who) has had a hand. They're often confusing enough even if you've seen them from the start.

I thought the plot took a backseat to the characters in this week's Sherlock. Lots of entertaining dialogue going on, all well delivered by the cast, but I agree with you, it all seemed to tie up all too neatly and quickly at the end to be credible.

I think this show would benefit from a longer run, with more time to develop the characters and the plots as well, as too much material is being crammed into the meagre three episodes per year.

I think we all got suckered into the plot taking a backseat idea... not the filler episode that we thought?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I think we all got suckered into the plot taking a backseat idea... not the filler episode that we thought?

Yup. Classic Moffat. Excellent final episode. There's usually a decent pay off if you stick with his stuff to the end and don't pass judgement on it halfway through. Still think 3 episodes is too short for a series though, I'd love to see what they could do with these characters over a 13 week run. I think the writers probably would too, but getting that cast together can't be easy now they're in big demand elsewhere, while Moffat and Gatiss have their commitments to Doctor Who as well. If they have to choose, unsurprisingly I'd rather they did 13 episodes of Doctor Who! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

If this thread is any guide, there's nothing on telly at the moment.

Anyone got any reviews/recommendations to liven things up?

I've heard EastEnders has perked up a bit since Danny 'farkin' Dyer turned up, and Hayley had the nation in tears in Corrie, but I don't watch either these days. I've also swerved the latest series of Celebrity Big Brother, which isn't like me, but it just seems to be on all the time now since it moved to Channel 5. As for Benefits Street, not my cup of tea at all. Shame on Channel 4, really. They got rid of Big Brother for this? Basically it's the same show, but genuinely exploitative. Revolting.

Instead I've been filling in the space on my telly screen lately with a blu ray box set of the first series of the old sci-fi show Space 1999, which came down the chimney at Christmas, and have been surprised at how good it actually is. I remember seeing a few episodes out of sequence on a late night repeat run in the 1990s, but I never saw the original early 70s Saturday teatime run as it clashed with Doctor Who in the age before video recorders were heard of. The blu ray transfer is astonishingly good, as the series was made on film, and the special effects are impressive for the time too. Some of the acting is a bit wooden, but it's a Gerry Anderson production and he was more used to working with puppets which probably explains some of the casting. The premise is a bit ridiculous, but it is entertaining once it gets going. And the spaceships are cool. :)

eagle2.jpg

If this thread is any guide, there's nothing on telly at the moment.

Anyone got any reviews/recommendations to liven things up?

Enjoyed the first couple of episodes of "Hostages" on C4. Plenty more twists and turns coming in this series.

The new version of "The Tomorrow People" (never saw the original series) is a good series if you want to rest your brain for an hour.

Oh and "Brooklyn 99" is just stupidly hilarious and had my family in stiches. :-)

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

I have the opposite problem to John, far too much I want to watch and nowhere near enough time to watch them and still do the other things in my life I want to do.

- American Horror Story s3 finishes next week so we've been saving the episodes to finish in a bang.  My wife got all girly at Stevie Nicks being in last week's episode

- I'm enjoying Almost Human, in the past I was never really a massive cop-show fan but this is just the right level of cop and sci-fi for me.

- On that note, I've about a season's worth of Continuum to catch up on with the very lovely Rachel Nichols as lead.

- We've not yet started s2 of Elementary but that's high on our list of things to watch

- We're both enjoying Grimm but again are struggling to keep up with the episodes.

- We have about 10 episodes outstanding of both The Neighbors and Modern Family, both excellent comedies

- The Walking Dead is one of the favourites and we just manage to keep up with that one

Then there's a whole pile of other programmes we'd love to watch but haven't bothered as we know we just don't have the time, maybe when we retire!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I don't have any must-see telly at the moment. I mainly watch sport, films and documentaries. I always watch things like Midsomer Murders and University Challenge, but it doesn't bother me if I miss one.

I'm waiting in anticipation for the next series of Game of Thrones and The Deadliest Catch. What I'd really like to see is a follow-on series from Band of Brothers and The Pacific.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I've also swerved the latest series of Celebrity Big Brother, which isn't like me, but it just seems to be on all the time now since it moved to Channel 5.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but if it is (for a saddo like me), I'd say this is without a doubt one of the best series they have ever done - including the Channel 4 days. Some of the tasks have been great. The only Big Brother series to ever be extended due to popularity - or is it to keep Jim Davidson away from the public for a little longer...?!

Another "love it or hate it" reccomendation at the moment is House of Fools - the new sitcom from Vic & Bob. Again if you liked Shooting Stars, give this a go. If you can't stand them, well it really is more of the same. I loved it though

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

The BBC's lavish 'Musketeers' thing is worth a try, as the first episode was really just a scene-setter, so the story can get going from now on. Good cast, I reckon, especially Capaldi. 

My dad has got me into 'Big Bang Theory', which is very smartly written and fun.

Oh, and Charlie Brooker's 'Weekly Wipe' for a good dose of bile. How can anyone getting his hoggins off of Konnie Huq be so sour?

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The BBC's lavish 'Musketeers' thing is worth a try, as the first episode was really just a scene-setter, so the story can get going from now on. Good cast, I reckon, especially Capaldi.

My dad has got me into 'Big Bang Theory', which is very smartly written and fun.

Hugo Speer who plays Treville in Musketeers is an old friend of mine.

I love TBBT too - a US comedy full of irony and sarcasm, shock horror!

I'm drawn to the Sara Martins show on Tuesday night (I believe they use some other, entirely superfluous, title).

• 2 weeks later...

Just rattled through a boxset of The Thick of It, the sweary political comedy starring Peter Capaldi. First time I've seen it. Not sure how it passed me by before, but well worth the wait. Very, very funny.

I watched the film version 'In The Loop' shortly afterwards and that didn't grab me as much. Probably something to do with many of the same actors from the TV show playing similar roles but different characters. Maybe if you watch it when the TV show isn't quite so fresh in the memory it works better.

Big Bang is a show I can watch over and over again, my fav episode is a Christmas one with a napkin!

The producers have been clever in introducing new characters at the right time. The writing is brilliant and Jim Parson is a great comedic actor, hard to believe he is 40 years old.

The producers have been clever in introducing new characters at the right time. The writing is brilliant and Jim Parson is a great comedic actor, hard to believe he is 40 years old.

It has been very well judged. It started out as a predominantly male show, but the two main female characters they have added in Bernadette and Amy have really contributed to the storylines and personalities of the existing cast.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Another "love it or hate it" reccomendation at the moment is House of Fools - the new sitcom from Vic & Bob. Again if you liked Shooting Stars, give this a go. If you can't stand them, well it really is more of the same. I loved it though

Really enjoyed last night's show. Best in the series so far for me.

Looking forward to Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton's new series 'Inside No. 9' on BBC2 at 10 tonight.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Looking forward to Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton's new series 'Inside No. 9' on BBC2 at 10 tonight.

Any good?  I'm going to iPlayer it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Any good?  I'm going to iPlayer it.

I wouldn't class it as 'must see TV' but I still enjoyed it. If you're a fan of their other stuff you probably will too. I'll be watching again next week.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I wouldn't class it as 'must see TV' but I still enjoyed it. If you're a fan of their other stuff you probably will too. I'll be watching again next week.

I missed the beginning, but what I did see was good enough to make me want to watch next week's episode. It has been described (fairly accurately) as a bit like 'Tales of the Unexpected'. Good cast, too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Walking Dead is back on FOX this Monday 9pm.

Woo!

Oh nice! I've watched the entire series in about 3 months. Really enjoying it - I think it has a similar vibe to Lost but without all the mystery rubbish. The last episode before the mid-season break was pretty relentless. My favourite drama at the moment.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Oh nice! I've watched the entire series in about 3 months. Really enjoying it - I think it has a similar vibe to Lost but without all the mystery rubbish. The last episode before the mid-season break was pretty relentless. My favourite drama at the moment.

I've a feeling Judith, the baby, will be ok.

I missed the beginning, but what I did see was good enough to make me want to watch next week's episode. It has been described (fairly accurately) as a bit like 'Tales of the Unexpected'. Good cast, too.

Reece Shearsmith was on local TV the other night explaining that he and Steve Pemberton had had lots of requests from actors wanting to be in their next series if they were doing one.

To his surprise, most of them said yes when they were taken up on it.

Watched it last night and thought it was excellent. Will definitely be watching again next week. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."