The TV Thread

I am mostly pro-BBC, despite them clogging the schedules with the tripe of Eastenders and a slew of creepily arch antiques experts and glorified estate agents, but The Symphony of Medinah indicates that some folk just need shooting. Right in the nuts.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've just worked my way through the Dr James Fox "Tale of three cities" - Vienna 1908, Paris 1928, and New York 1951.  

Thoroughly enjoyed the series and have learned a lot.  Would heartily recommend it for a passionate yet not up himself arty type bloke describing three ages which, though long gone, still resonate today.

Next up, the full Peaky Blinders first series.  I only managed to catch the first two last time round.  Am already smitten by the undercover barmaid.

I've just worked my way through the Dr James Fox "Tale of three cities" - Vienna 1908, Paris 1928, and New York 1951.  

Thoroughly enjoyed the series and have learned a lot.  Would heartily recommend it for a passionate yet not up himself arty type bloke describing three ages which, though long gone, still resonate today.

Next up, the full Peaky Blinders first series.  I only managed to catch the first two last time round.  Am already smitten by the undercover barmaid.

Only just spotted they were repeating 'Peaky Blinders'. Very much enjoyed it when it was first on, but am a little worried that the second series might not live up to the first.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Long Shadow that's starting on BBC2.

Fuelling my obsession with WW1. I've got high expectations.

Spoiler alert! 

We won!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Long Shadow that's starting on BBC2.

Fuelling my obsession with WW1. I've got high expectations.

really enjoyed it. I liked the different approach and the slight debunking of some entrenched ideas.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

I watched the last half hour of 'Marvellous' after the Rugby had finished. Really enjoyed it. :) 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'll add to the praise for Marvelous. Real feel good tv, one of the best things on the box all year.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Ziggy Stardust: The Farewell Concert was on earlier in the evening. Missed it because of the Rugby, so I may snag myself a copy with get_iplayer.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ziggy Stardust: The Farewell Concert was on earlier in the evening. Missed it because of the Rugby, so I may snag myself a copy with get_iplayer.

does he do laughing gnome?

surely his masterpiece

Keeping it local

Another wrinkle on the TotP2 concept - old footage, mixed with new live performances of old hits. A silver-haired Boz Scaggs doing 'Lido Shuffle' right now. Alice Cooper on soon.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

quadrophenia can you see the real me, the story of the making of the album was on on Monday. Still available on the IPlayer:http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01k83bl/quadrophenia-can-you-see-the-real-me

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

quadrophenia can you see the real me, the story of the making of the album was on on Monday. Still available on the IPlayer:http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01k83bl/quadrophenia-can-you-see-the-real-me

IMHO rock operas miss the point entirely

Keeping it local

IMHO rock operas miss the point entirely

Other than the rather pretentious phrase "rock opera" I like the idea of telling a story in song, or in this case, collection of songs. There's a strong tradition of story telling in British music dating back hundreds of years.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Other than the rather pretentious phrase "rock opera" I like the idea of telling a story in song, or in this case, collection of songs. There's a strong tradition of story telling in British music dating back hundreds of years.

a song tells a story. The whole knack of a good pop/rock/blues/soul/folk  song is that it tells a a story within a simple bullshi it free  format.

That the phrase 'rock opera' is pretentious in itself is entirely apt.

Keeping it local

I once read a quote (can't remeber who by) that  the trick of writing a great rock song is to write about a moment that only lasts as long as the track itself.

Obviously, folk music works off a different template.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police