Football

Preston 2 Bluddy Targers 1 after Targers took the lead early doors.

Freefall is happening.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Leeds United have sacked Thomas Christiansen.

When David O'Leary took over at Leeds United in 1998, he was the 23rd and last manager the club had in the 20th century.

O'Leary left the club in 2002, so if you count him as also their first manager of the 21st century, they have just sacked their 23rd manager of the club this century - a span of just over 17 years. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Leeds United have sacked Thomas Christiansen.

When David O'Leary took over at Leeds United in 1998, he was the 23rd and last manager the club had in the 20th century.

O'Leary left the club in 2002, so if you count him as also their first manager of the 21st century, they have just sacked their 23rd manager of the club this century - a span of just over 17 years. 

Leeds will now be looking for their seventh manager since 2014.

Whether you love them, or loath them, today is 60 years since the Munich Air Disaster. Remember all of them, Players and journalists who died on that snowy night on the way back from Belgrade.

This is poignant 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42845471

Peace, my friends.

My name is David

Edited by Bleep1673

“BREAKING: 5 of 7 Premier League live domestic TV packages sold for £4.464bn (4 to Sky, 1 to BT), with two live packages still to be sold “with interest from multiple bidders”. Current deal worth £5.1bn”

So latest deal will eclipse the last one. Assuming the last packages are sold

Will be interesting to see who gets the two remaining packages. Will it be a new provider, or maybe two?

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

“BREAKING: 5 of 7 Premier League live domestic TV packages sold for £4.464bn (4 to Sky, 1 to BT), with two live packages still to be sold “with interest from multiple bidders”. Current deal worth £5.1bn”

Will be interesting to see who gets the two remaining packages. Will it be a new provider, or maybe two?

Amazon have been touted and they do seem to be building a portfolio of sports rights.

On 06/02/2018 at 5:53 PM, Bleep1673 said:

Whether you love them, or loath them, today is 60 years since the Munich Air Disaster. Remember all of them, Players and journalists who died on that snowy night on the way back from Belgrade.

This is poignant 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42845471

Peace, my friends.

My name is David

Tragic, but many questions for me don’t seem to be properly asked about the circumstances.

Why after TWO aborted take off attempts didn’t Man Utd not stay over the night in Munich?

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

The two remaining packages dont seem that good tbh. If I am understanding correctly they are just 2 rounds each, but all games can be covered - making 20 games per year in each pack. Seeing as most of the games will be played at the same time, id be stunned if the averages are the same as for the other packs.

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The two remaining packages dont seem that good tbh. If I am understanding correctly they are just 2 rounds each, but all games can be covered - making 20 games per year in each pack. Seeing as most of the games will be played at the same time, id be stunned if the averages are the same as for the other packs.

Interesting. Are they different packages to before? Have they had access to a full round but just broadcasted select games?

Not sure it’d make sense for a third company to show one round on isolation,  albeit total coverage

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Interesting. Are they different packages to before? Have they had access to a full round but just broadcasted select games?

Not sure it’d make sense for a third company to show one round on isolation,  albeit total coverage

I think these are new packages.

One has a bank holiday weekend plus a midweek round and the other is two midweek rounds.

I suspect it is to test broadcasting full rounds and monitoring impact on gates etc.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think these are new packages.

One has a bank holiday weekend plus a midweek round and the other is two midweek rounds.

I suspect it is to test broadcasting full rounds and monitoring impact on gates etc.

From my work newsletter:

Sky and BT have paid £4.6 billion for five of the seven UK rights packages available to broadcast live Premier League football, avoiding a feared loss of some of the world’s most coveted sports content to companies such as Amazon, reported Bloomberg. Sky will retain its leading position, with rights to 128 games per season for which it paid 16% less per game than in 2015. BT will hold onto 32 games and see its annual costs fall by 8%, but its price per game go up by 21%. The Financial Times said the result looks set to be a significant blow to the Premier League and it reported sources saying the two remaining packages had not sold as they failed to hit their reserve prices.”

Will the Premier League will flex on their reserve price to ensure the coverage they want?

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Tragic, but many questions for me don’t seem to be properly asked about the circumstances.

Why after TWO aborted take off attempts didn’t Man Utd not stay over the night in Munich?

Because they had a Saturday match, upcoming & they needed to be back in England, then traveling was scary. They had two take offs aborted, then the pilot was told they needed to be back in Manchester that night. That's what blew it. They needed to be back because they knew that if they had stayed in Munich, it would have cost them a fortune, if they could find rooms, and the Football League would still have wanted them to play on Saturday afternoon, like every other club was supposed to do, there was no Sunday, or Monday games in 1958, devised for TV. They had to be back on Wednesday night. Saturday games, 3pm kick off, European games were a holiday, they weren't essential to UK Football at that time. 

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Because they had a Saturday match, upcoming & they needed to be back in England, then traveling was scary. They had two take offs aborted, then the pilot was told they needed to be back in Manchester that night. That's what blew it. They needed to be back because they knew that if they had stayed in Munich, it would have cost them a fortune, if they could find rooms, and the Football League would still have wanted them to play on Saturday afternoon, like every other club was supposed to do, there was no Sunday, or Monday games in 1958, devised for TV. They had to be back on Wednesday night. Saturday games, 3pm kick off, European games were a holiday, they weren't essential to UK Football at that time. 

Thanks and it kind of confirms everything I’ve always thought about Munich, in that it could of been avoided with anything like a modicum of thought about putting player safety over ‘points’.

It does seem to me that there’s circumstances surrounding the decision making on the night by United’s top brass (and maybe the Football League) that is never really questioned.

Find those fans with no connection to those who died, who make what they describe as a ‘pilgrimage’ to the site of the crash each year, ghoulish in the extreme too.

4 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

BT Sport just broadcast this for an offside decision using the new VAR technology. I still can't believe what I've just seen. We like a moan in RL circles, but this is an absolute shambles for soccer.

DWQdQCeW0AAlyeH.jpg

Juan Mata was clearly offside.

4 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

BT Sport just broadcast this for an offside decision using the new VAR technology. I still can't believe what I've just seen. We like a moan in RL circles, but this is an absolute shambles for soccer.

DWQdQCeW0AAlyeH.jpg

VAR - Brought to you by Etch-a-Sketch

• Like 1
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

14 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

DWQdQCeW0AAlyeH.jpg

I don't really follow football, what are they trying to prove here, was he actually given offside or not?

Going by the line across the pitch that indicates the edge of the penalty area then he's onside. Going by the lines some toddler has drawn across the screen :blink: suggests an element of doubt. 

And they're hardly going to get any help from the linesman as it appears to be my old friend Tony Martin.

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

I don't really follow football, what are they trying to prove here, was he actually given offside or not?

Going by the line across the pitch that indicates the edge of the penalty area then he's onside. Going by the lines some toddler has drawn across the screen :blink: suggests an element of doubt. 

And they're hardly going to get any help from the linesman as it appears to be my old friend Tony Martin.

In the end, the goal was disallowed for offside. Apparently, those lines which were shown to the public weren't the ones used by the officials who eventually made the call. Nobody is sure where they came from and why the director allowed them to be shown, but it did untold damage to the VAR system which is struggling to get the public approval.

1 hour ago, Northern Eel said:

In the end, the goal was disallowed for offside. Apparently, those lines which were shown to the public weren't the ones used by the officials who eventually made the call. Nobody is sure where they came from and why the director allowed them to be shown, but it did untold damage to the VAR system which is struggling to get the public approval.

Thanks.

Looks like they've shot themselves in the foot to me.

Oh, and he was onside I reckon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

I don't know about untold damage, 'tis hardly a big deal.

I am not at all biased but it looked offside to me at the time.:scout:

Clear as day:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43100886

3 minutes ago, longboard said:

I don't know about untold damage, 'tis hardly a big deal.

I am not at all biased but it looked offside to me at the time.:scout:

Clear as day:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43100886

In a game where the fans come second every single time, it's no biggy for most fans; you're right. It was more the damage it does to the reputation of the FAs newest trial fad. I can't see it lasting too long at all.