Football

55 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Except apparently it was. The FA putting out a thing saying it met all the requirements for a red card but *waves hand vaguely* ...

I don't understand how they're getting this so badly wrong.

Because they are idiots.

58 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Except apparently it was. The FA putting out a thing saying it met all the requirements for a red card but *waves hand vaguely* ...

I don't understand how they're getting this so badly wrong.

It’s simple 

In the VAR room at Stockley Park they have a few cans during a game & don’t watch the full match eg popping to the toilet every 10 mins etc.

When the call comes through for a the decision, as it was late in the game, then they either just went heads or tails or the most drunk person in the room pressed the wrong button “for a laugh”.

I can’t think of any other reason 

On 23/02/2020 at 08:52, LeeF said:

It’s simple 

In the VAR room at Stockley Park they have a few cans during a game & don’t watch the full match eg popping to the toilet every 10 mins etc.

When the call comes through for a the decision, as it was late in the game, then they either just went heads or tails or the most drunk person in the room pressed the wrong button “for a laugh”.

I can’t think of any other reason 

I don’t know either , but the primary focus seems to be ‘ we back our mate ‘ rather than getting it right 

33 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I don’t know either , but the primary focus seems to be ‘ we back our mate ‘ rather than getting it right 

But they aren’t backing their mate. 
All refs miss the odd incident as they have one view from one angle and there can be players etc in the way. By making the “correct” decision they are helping not undermining

3 minutes ago, LeeF said:

But they aren’t backing their mate. 
All refs miss the odd incident as they have one view from one angle and there can be players etc in the way. By making the “correct” decision they are helping not undermining

Yes that’s the irony . They’d help them by correcting them . But backing the on field official when they’re wrong does no one any favours 

Biggest mystery to me at the week end was when iheanacho and the Man City goalie  both went for the ball inside the area . Goalie went for it with 2 fists to punch it , missed ,  laid the Leicester lad out who got carried off ..... no pen . no red card .

On 25/02/2020 at 17:29, ivans82 said:

Biggest mystery to me at the week end was when iheanacho and the Man City goalie  both went for the ball inside the area . Goalie went for it with 2 fists to punch it , missed ,  laid the Leicester lad out who got carried off ..... no pen . no red card .

Goalies always seem to get away with fouls due to their "protected" status

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

On 24/02/2020 at 08:26, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Still, currently, enjoying this season ?

C'MON TOWN!!! 

_20200224_072745.JPG

You are still behind Oxford.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

3 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Admins, the swear filter has stopped working. ?

True.

I will help them out; s****** Town ?

• Haha 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, Niels said:

It was a great win for Kobenhaven last night. Fair chance of progress with the draw maybe?

It was great having the Celtic fans over also. Lovely atmostphere in town.

• Like 1

Just now, Bob8 said:

Yes, there was a good following from Copenhagen last night too. They played well as Celtic look very slick whenever I see them on tv  against other Scottish teams. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I spent a great time a few years ago watching some Celtic fans who were too drunk to notice me, or indeed, much else. They were attempting, and failing because of the drunkenness, to climb the lions on Trafalgar Square. Tourists were taking photos.

This was two hours before kick off.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

19 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I spent a great time a few years ago watching some Celtic fans who were too drunk to notice me, or indeed, much else. They were attempting, and failing because of the drunkenness, to climb the lions on Trafalgar Square. Tourists were taking photos.

This was two hours before kick off.

They will probably bring a fair number to Perth tomorrow. In January they were given 3 sides of the ground as an experiment and filled them. 

Some home fans didn't agree but St Johnstone need the money to build the team so it is necessary. 

I don't know if you follow the Scottish football but the game is on Premier sports I think. 

5 hours ago, Niels said:

They will probably bring a fair number to Perth tomorrow. In January they were given 3 sides of the ground as an experiment and filled them. 

Some home fans didn't agree but St Johnstone need the money to build the team so it is necessary. 

I don't know if you follow the Scottish football but the game is on Premier sports I think. 

Any Scottish football that doesn't involve the gruesome twosome I tend to be interested in. Been to Queen of the South a fair few times.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Biggest news of the day is that the runaway leaders were pegged back in surprising circumstances.

As @Wiltshire Rhinoknows, I'm talking about Swindon's match being postponed so they couldn't add to their lead atop League Two.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Biggest news of the day is that the runaway leaders were pegged back in surprising circumstances.

As @Wiltshire Rhinoknows, I'm talking about Swindon's match being postponed so they couldn't add to their lead atop League Two.

We've gone from teams like Bradford, Exeter and Plymouth telling us we won't be top when they've won their games in hand to still bring top, now with a game in hand. Most of our promotion rivals still have to play each other (we only have to play Cheltenham) so points will dropped. I'm not saying we'll win this league (I think we will) but I'll be really shocked if we aren't one of the teams who win automatic promotion. 

However, the best thing about this season is the club's re-engagement with the fans. Yes, winning helps, but the interaction between the club and us fans has improved so much. It's enjoyable again. ?

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Another VAR farce at the weekend with Evertons disallowed winner , De Gea was going the wrong way anyway when the shot was taken , and because of the deflection would never have stopped it regardless . Common sense has to enter into this process sometime in the future surely .

On 03/03/2020 at 09:22, ivans82 said:

Another VAR farce at the weekend with Evertons disallowed winner , De Gea was going the wrong way anyway when the shot was taken , and because of the deflection would never have stopped it regardless . Common sense has to enter into this process sometime in the future surely .

I don't understand this attitude to VAR. For years managers, players, pundits and fans have been criticising refs for wrong decisions and demanding the use of technology to improve the accuracy of decisions.

Now they have what they wanted and it's still not right.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

I don't understand this attitude to VAR. For years managers, players, pundits and fans have been criticising refs for wrong decisions and demanding the use of technology to improve the accuracy of decisions.

Now they have what they wanted and it's still not right.

Some people like moaning and negativity.

it's a good job it's not like that in rugby.?

• Haha 3