Sign in to follow this  
Bleep1673

Football

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Be interesting to see how ‘open’ Leeds are next season in the Premier League, particularly against the top 8 or so teams.

Bielsa is a top level coach unquestionably and Leeds will deserve their promotion.  They’ll recruit as well as they jump up in class.

But as you say there’s a few worrying signs in defence which will be punished weekly in the Premier League with the superior finishing in my opinion.

Absolutely true, we need another CB and hopefully sign Ben White up on a full time basis also. Our problem is depth and real quality in certain positions so I think a Central midfielder, attacking midfielder and striker should be on the cards this summer also. People forget that other than a couple of good loan players/signings, this is essentially the same squad that finished 13th in the championship 2 years ago. Bielsa has improved these players dramatically so in terms of bang for buck Leeds don't have to go huge in the transfer market but do need to get players that work hard. Talk is Eduoard from Celtic is on the radar but its more about attitude than ability for me - see the JKA saga.

The game against Arsenal in January was interesting as it showed the defensive fragilities as well as the go out and win mentality. It'll be interesting to see whether Leeds go for the top straight away (as happened last time after promotion), as I don't see Bielsa's style working well in a park the bus relegation scrap.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think the xG (which rates expected goals based on quality of chance) can be informative when trying to assess these things.

Southampton (0.63) 1 - 0 (3.40) Manchester City

So you could say in xG terms that 3-1 City would have been the mean score based on the two teams quality of chance throughout the game.

https://understat.com/league/EPL

The beauty of looking at xG is that you can really analyse wastefulness in front of goal better than the more straightforward ‘shots on target’ stat.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/what-is-xg-football-how-statistic-calculated/h42z0iiv8mdg1ub10iisg1dju

Football, eh?

20 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I'm a Southampton fan, so obviously I was delighted with the effort they showed. It's fair to say we rode our luck mind. On another day we could easily have lost that game 4 or 5-1. But you need things to go your way if you're going to beat the big boys.

That's a gracious viewpoint.

I think the role of luck is underplayed in sport. I know it evens out over a season, but a single game often swings on a lucky break. When City beat Liverpool, the first chance felĺ to Salah and his shot bounced out off the post. If it had gone in off the post, the game would have been totally different. City may still have won, but not so easily.

Good managers can pick players and tactics that shift the odds slightly in their favour, but they can't eliminate luck altogether. I think it was Bill Shankly who said, "I'd rather have a lucky team than a good one."

In any single game, luck can play a huge part.

Sorry. Forgot to add "Well done, Saints!"

Edited by tonyXIII
  • Thanks 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Was it Palmer or Player who said “ the more I practice the luckier I get “

25 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Was it Palmer or Player who said “ the more I practice the luckier I get “

Jack Nicklaus, I believe.

It is a truism. You can't eliminate luck completely, but you can shift the odds slightly in your favour by working hard and practising.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

I thought West Ham were looking in good shape after their recent results, but if they lose tonight against Burnley that's really going to put them back in danger. The games against Watford and Villa are going to be very interesting.

At the other extreme , another truly depressing Everton  performance . They must be the only fans thankful they can’t go . Hardly in it at home to Southampton , getting the runaround , hardly stringing a pass together and trying to play on the break like they’re up against Real Madrid . Never used to play like that , however average they got stuck in and gave you a game . Very poor fare Carlo me old son . Has there ever been a team wasted as much money to go backwards

• Haha 1

Answer to the above question is yes, Tottenham. Bergwijn and Ndombele , big signings and gone backwards big time. Though the Not -So - Special- One might be culpable to a degree. 

I don’t know how much they cost but boy Everton have wasted hundreds of millions.Just a snapshot is Bolasie 25m , Davy Klaasen 24m , Tosun 27m , Walcott 20m , Siggurdson 45m , Scheiderlin ... Kean ... 20 odd mil etc . Richarlison 40 odd but at least gives some return . Now after zero progress they’re gonna need to do it again , and will take a big hit on the overvalued deadwood they need to shift . Mosh has thrown about 500 mil in already 

Edited by DavidM

Yes Everton have wasted a lot of dosh, but they ain't gone backwards,  because they were never "forward"  not since Kendall's days anyway. Sorry couldn't resist. 🤣

Edited by HawkMan

5 nil today from Leeds after a big win against Blackburn too. Could have been more.

72% possession as well 500+ passes vs 150. Total domination.

Swansea on Sunday then Barnsley next Thursday followed by Charlton. Hopefully it will be wrapped up by then but Brentford in 3rd are playing very well.

14 hours ago, DavidM said:

I don’t know how much they cost but boy Everton have wasted hundreds of millions.Just a snapshot is Bolasie 25m , Davy Klaasen 24m , Tosun 27m , Walcott 20m , Siggurdson 45m , Scheiderlin ... Kean ... 20 odd mil etc . Richarlison 40 odd but at least gives some return . Now after zero progress they’re gonna need to do it again , and will take a big hit on the overvalued deadwood they need to shift . Mosh has thrown about 500 mil in already 

Hopefully with an excellent coach in Ancellotti he can make the team more than the sum of its parts.

Champions League draw for those who missed it:

Real Madrid/Man City vs Lyon/Juventus

RB Leipzig vs Atletico Madrid

Napoli/Barcelona vs Chelsea/Bayern Munich

Atalanta vs PSG

Semi finals:

Qtr Final 1 vs Qtr Final 3

Qtr Final 2 vs Qtr Final 4

Although I’ve said that PSG will be the happiest with the draw, they’ll also be the most ring rusty (Ligue 1 was stopped months ago) and this format of one legged matches means you could get a few upsets compared to two legged ties.  

• Like 1

Europa League  Quarter-finals, 10-11 August 

1. Wolfsburg/Shakhtar Donetsk vEintracht Frankfurt/Basel

2. LASK/Manchester United v Istanbul Basaksehir/Copenhagen

3. Inter Milan/Getafe v Rangers/Bayer Leverkusen

4. Olympiakos/Wolves v Sevilla/Roma

Semi-finals, 16-17 August

Winner of quarter-final 4 v winner of quarter-final 2

Winner of quarter-final 3 v winner of quarter-final 1

Final, 21 August

Edited by HawkMan

Man C v PSG final in a battle of the massive spenders and underachievers 

I think it’ll be an Atletico Madrid vs Bayern Munich final.

City have had a tough draw really with potential for back to back games versus Real Madrid, Juventus and Bayern/Barcelona en route to the final.

If I had to pick out a dark horse it would be the Atalanta who have been in fine form since the restart and will fancy themselves in a one off game on a neutral ground.

On paper PSG have the quality, but it is a long layoff for them.

23 hours ago, DavidM said:

This is a club that didn't go after Sean Dyche when they last had a chance. Yeah but he can only coach a certain way.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

On 09/07/2020 at 20:50, DavidM said:

I think you can only judge a manager after he has been given a chance to bring in his own players.  

Seems to me that Ancelotti’s name carries a certain cache that previous managers haven’t, meaning Everton might be able to attract some proven quality at its peak, rather than gamble on players from teams around them being able to step up to another level.

There’s obviously a decent youth system at Everton that needs blending with proven quality and experience.

• Like 1

On 11/07/2020 at 10:39, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think you can only judge a manager after he has been given a chance to bring in his own players.  

Seems to me that Ancelotti’s name carries a certain cache that previous managers haven’t, meaning Everton might be able to attract some proven quality at its peak, rather than gamble on players from teams around them being able to step up to another level.

There’s obviously a decent youth system at Everton that needs blending with proven quality and experience.

I take this all back haha, watching Everton against Wolves they have been a shambles particularly the keeper.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I take this all back haha, watching Everton against Wolves they have been a shambles particularly the keeper.

You’re being kind 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’ve said before I’ve never been sold on Pickford . To many mistakes , to many brain explosions , to often makes the easy look difficult .