Football

Nothing surprises me in football  but surely Klopp must be safe,  it's a disastrous season so far, but the guy has plenty of credit built up , KLOPP IS SAFE.....isn't he?

5 hours ago, hw88 said:

Tell him to stop being a glory hunter and support Rot-Weiss Essen!😀

East German teams were forever changing their names and location. For instance the original 'big team' in Berlin was Vorwearts, but they started life in Leipzig before being moved. Then in 1971 they were moved again, this time to Frankfurt a/d Oder - presumably to clear the field for Dynamo. There were 2 teams in Leipzig - Chemie and Lokomotive. Confusingly Chemie were called Lokomotive between 1954-63 while Lokomotive were called Rotation. Then in 1963-64 Chemie reverted to their original pre-1954 name (Chemie) while Rotation became SC Leipzig before becoming Lokomotive in 1966-67!!

The record for name changes however is Magdaberg who had 5 different names between 1953 and 1991 - Krupp, Stahl, Motor Mitte, Aufbau and Magdeberg!

Very interesting, I'll definitely look into communist football more. 

I think my mate is from a small town just outside Gelschenkirchen and just lives in Essen now for work so we'll forgive him! 

He last came over here for a visit in 2017 and we did a long trip around Yorkshire. I remember when we went to Bradford to visit the film museum, we were sat outside there talking about football and he said, and I quote, "Bradford reminds me of Gelschenkirchen". No I don't really know what that means either, just take from that what you will! 😂

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

Pathetic? Too right!

A global game, millions of fans, over 150 professional leagues,pan- continental club tournaments, a 32 team  world Cup  with close matches, over 2 billion aggregated TV viewers , a top tier in this country with half a dozen clubs with above 50,00 average attendance.

Please God Rugby League never gets that pathetic!!

BTW " fairies" is deeply homophobic. Should report your post but can't be bothered to waste time on you.

Silly

I know we discussed a while back about how there was an increase in trouble at games and it was even infecting some pretty low level fixtures.

Update from my dad at a National League North (it's down south though) game where police had to be called in to separate fighting fans during and after the game.

• Sad 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I know we discussed a while back about how there was an increase in trouble at games and it was even infecting some pretty low level fixtures.

Update from my dad at a National League North (it's down south though) game where police had to be called in to separate fighting fans during and after the game.

This is just one of many reasons why football is moronic

3 minutes ago, BetweenYellowLines said:

This is just one of many reasons why football is moronic

Whatevs, mate.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Finally managed to get back to some non-league football this afternoon after a month of postponements. 

A spirited performance from the Beavers who didn't really do a lot wrong but the Zebras just had a bit too much pace and awareness up front. Bev's 6 game unbeaten run in the league unfortunately ended. 

Beverley Town 3-5 Brigg Town

Att: 265

6 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Very interesting, I'll definitely look into communist football more. 

I think my mate is from a small town just outside Gelschenkirchen and just lives in Essen now for work so we'll forgive him! 

He last came over here for a visit in 2017 and we did a long trip around Yorkshire. I remember when we went to Bradford to visit the film museum, we were sat outside there talking about football and he said, and I quote, "Bradford reminds me of Gelschenkirchen". No I don't really know what that means either, just take from that what you will! 😂

Gelsenkirchen has a large Turkish diaspora. 

Both the footballers Ozil and Gundogan were born there and played for Schalke. 

There was also a horse running at Sandown today called Schalke🙂

On 04/02/2023 at 16:56, HawkMan said:

Nothing surprises me in football  but surely Klopp must be safe,  it's a disastrous season so far, but the guy has plenty of credit built up , KLOPP IS SAFE.....isn't he?

I hope so, now he has Liverpool playing to their full potential.😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

There's been rumblings around this for some time now, to be honest I assumed it would just get kicked into the long grass as a fight the PL don't want to have. Maybe the moves towards an independent regulator have forced their hand into offering a sacrificial lamb?

In any case, I understand there is no recourse for appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, and any appeal would be through the English legal system. However we will at least know what the potential punishments are when the independent commission rules even if the appeals get tied up in years of legal wrangling. 

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 hour ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

There's been rumblings around this for some time now, to be honest I assumed it would just get kicked into the long grass as a fight the PL don't want to have. Maybe the moves towards an independent regulator have forced their hand into offering a sacrificial lamb?

In any case, I understand there is no recourse for appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, and any appeal would be through the English legal system. However we will at least know what the potential punishments are when the independent commission rules even if the appeals get tied up in years of legal wrangling. 

You are more knowledgeable than all I have read on other forums!

What punishments do you think are likely? I have read all sorts from relegation to removal of premier league trophies.

Surprisingly, they only won 3 in the period upto 2018 I think? Man utd finished second twice and Liverpool once.

Presumably anything from 2019 is safe? (That phrase reminds me of Bullseye and Jim Bowen lol)

Edited by Niels
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Niels said:

You are more knowledgeable than all I have read on other forums!

What punishments do you think are likely? I have read all sorts from relegation to removal of premier league trophies.

Surprisingly, they only won 3 in the period upto 2018 I think? Man utd finished second twice and Liverpool once.

Presumably anything from 2019 is safe?

I can assure you, I'm not! I've just been reading some of the more respectable journos on twitter who have been covering this for a while. 

I'm not sure in terms of punishment, it's very open ended by the looks of things, those things you mention are possible also fines. There's a bit of speculation regarding the financial impact on clubs throughout the league being recompensed (i.e. teams who didn't qualify for Europe in years City did), I don't think anyone really knows right now.

2019 is the point at which the investigation opened and they stopped co-operating with the Premier League. So not as such no it's more than they haven't been charged for those years due to absence of evidence, although they have been charged for obstructing the investigation for those years. It might be the independent commission see that act as an admission of guilt in line with the preceding years and act accordingly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

7 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I can assure you, I'm not! I've just been reading some of the more respectable journos on twitter who have been covering this for a while. 

I'm not sure in terms of punishment, it's very open ended by the looks of things, those things you mention are possible also fines. There's a bit of speculation regarding the financial impact on clubs throughout the league being recompensed (i.e. teams who didn't qualify for Europe in years City did), I don't think anyone really knows right now.

2019 is the point at which the investigation opened and they stopped co-operating with the Premier League. So not as such no it's more than they haven't been charged for those years due to absence of evidence, although they have been charged for obstructing the investigation for those years. It might be the independent commission see that act as an admission of guilt in line with the preceding years and act accordingly. 

It made me smile when I read that one of the punishments could be replaying games!

That could be a minefield. Maybe they may have to play the Aguero QPR game, but with everyone 11 years older!

Or the Aston Villa match last year, but with Steven Gerrard back as their manager!

Obviously, if the investigation proves that City are guilty, they'll have to suffer the consequences and serves them right.

However, so far, they have been charged with alleged financial breaches, not "convicted" as it were.  

If this were a criminal charge, then obviously, they would be innocent until proved guilty.

That rule clearly does not apply here, which is why, presumably, they are being treated by some as guilty until proven innocent. 

• Like 1

So Marsch sacked by Leeds, why oh why do clubs give a manager a transfer window,  sign his players then get rid of him. If the hierarchy thought him expendable then get rid of him before the window and give the new man a chance.

I've no real interest in who gets job, but I'd like to see Rafa Benitez back in the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

So Marsch sacked by Leeds, why oh why do clubs give a manager a transfer window,  sign his players then get rid of him. If the hierarchy thought him expendable then get rid of him before the window and give the new man a chance.

I've no real interest in who gets job, but I'd like to see Rafa Benitez back in the game.

He was probably doomed when the Leeds fans started referring to him as Yank Lampard.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Obviously, if the investigation proves that City are guilty, they'll have to suffer the consequences and serves them right.

However, so far, they have been charged with alleged financial breaches, not "convicted" as it were.  

If this were a criminal charge, then obviously, they would be innocent until proved guilty.

That rule clearly does not apply here, which is why, presumably, they are being treated by some as guilty until proven innocent. 

I hope they do fight it and win. 

I feel very uncomfortable about any possible repurcussions. I don't like punishments that hurt or affect fans. 

I since read that any punishment cannot be imposed retrospectively. So would only be applicable from the season of the verdict. 

4 hours ago, Niels said:

I don't like punishments that hurt or affect fans. 

Yes. That's why clubs break the rules in the belief that sentiment will get them off.

6 hours ago, Niels said:

I don't like punishments that hurt or affect fans. 

70% of those fans are glory hunters who  never watched the team when it was in the Second Division. Average attendance 28,261.

That's what Sheffield United get now and 10,000 less than Sunderland get.

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

22 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

70% of those fans are glory hunters who  never watched the team when it was in the Second Division. Average attendance 28,261.

That's what Sheffield United get now and 10,000 less than Sunderland get.

Thinking out of the box here but apply that to our sport. If say London were to do a better job, win more games, get back to where they were in the nation's consciousness, pull in the Aussie -pats etc, would the increase in crowds be down to glory hunters?

• Like 1