Salford Red Devils

He tried but Eamon McManus refuse to sell to him

Is this true or is it something that just plopped out of the rumour mill? The story is supposed to be that Marwan asked Nigel Wood to let him know if a club became available, and Salford imploded at the opportune moment.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saints have never really spent heavily, especially in the SL era.

They broke the transfer record when they bought Newlove but most of that money came from Wigan's purchase of Gary Connelly. When they bought the likes of Long & Sculthorpe neither were established Internationals, just young players with lots of promise who then went on to achieve great things in the game. Jamie Lyon came on a free transfer and the likes of Cunningham, Roby, Wellens & Graham were all home grown.

I've been reading your posts with interest.

Looking at the St Helens 2006 Grand Final squad - 5 homegrown players (developed by your Academy)

2007 - 5 homegrown players

2008 - 4 homegrown players

2009 - 6 homegrown players

Even in 2002 you had 7 homegrown players. 

Personally I think they are decent numbers, but lets not make out that Saints have had all their success without going out signing players.

Your re-writing of history around Paul Sculthorpe is laughable. He had already played international RL and featured in the Dream Team after playing 78 times for Wire.

Very interesting that, stable successful big club attracting kids to play the game and developing their own stars from that to attracting outside talent and not always ready made, all to an affordable budget thanks to the on field fare being attractive to people to watch who turn up and pay a fair price to do so.

For Salford the fans and players of the future are out there. Or should the good Doctor just buy Saints instead?

What would Khoukash buying Saints achieve. They are the Champions in a new stadium with adequate financial backing.

Much better to let Khoukash develop Salford into a big club for the Manchester area. The more big clubs we have, the sooner your dram will become reality.

I'm surprised Salford aren't giving the local amateur sides a bit of a hand. At the start of last season myself and some others from the amateur club im involved with, along with another Southern amateur club were invited up to watch a Salford game and discuss possible benefits of support from Salford and the Dr for amateur clubs in London and the south. It made no sense at the time, being so far apart, but i would have thought local clubs in Salford could provide a direct benefit for the Reds in the years to come.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I've been reading your posts with interest.

Looking at the St Helens 2006 Grand Final squad - 5 homegrown players (developed by your Academy)

2007 - 5 homegrown players

2008 - 4 homegrown players

2009 - 6 homegrown players

Even in 2002 you had 7 homegrown players. 

Personally I think they are decent numbers, but lets not make out that Saints have had all their success without going out signing players.

Your re-writing of history around Paul Sculthorpe is laughable. He had already played international RL and featured in the Dream Team after playing 78 times for Wire.

Starting to think Saint Toppy might be one of Parky's alter-egos. Nothing unusual in them spouting tosh about Wire, but the number of times Parky has popped up to nod in approval in this thread has been suspicious.

Toppy might like to re-write a new history of St Helens in which they signed local kids and a few unheard-ofs from local teams, but at that time they flashed their cash at a lot of promising youngsters and reaped the benefits. Nothing wrong with that, it's a perfectly normal thing to do.

As for them not spending heavily, that's even funnier. They built up crippling debts in the early 2000s and only herculean efforts from directors (and the sale of Knowsley Road) prevented them going under.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

One important factor is the ability to keep those home grown players at the club, and Salford haven't been able to do that. When a club is struggling. it's inevitable that any players that do come through in the area or through the club's academy get tempted elsewhere.

Indeed, there's a theme going around that all clubs are even if they can spend the full cap and that's certainly not the case. Stable profitable clubs with money to spare are always going to use the extra they have to improve their teams further, Wire are not averse to dishing out big transfer fees. 

But it isn't about Saints.v.Wire, it's about how Koukash can get to both their and Wigan's level.

`Viking Warrior in Salford Rant' shocker - the man is like a stuck record.

on about junior rugby not the club, i am a coach of a junior team and we have played folly lane and langworthy and both clubs are struggling to survive, all professional clubs not just salford should do more to help the junior game after all we supply the stars of tomorrow for them 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

on about junior rugby not the club, i am a coach of a junior team and we have played folly lane and langworthy and both clubs are struggling to survive, all professional clubs not just salford should do more to help the junior game after all we supply the stars of tomorrow for them 

Always very interesting to hear about the junior game and the truth seems to be even established clubs are struggling for players, didn't you comment on East's & Miners in Leigh having problems too.

It's often said it doesn't matter where players come from. When quality junior players only come from small parts of the country it does matter and matters big time.

But what exactly do you want the clubs to do, as I am often told that Senior clubs cannot "directly help" junior clubs? 

It's my impression that junior RL, the conveyor belt for players at all levels is seriously struggling and without players there

will be no pro game. SL will collapse and die as will the Championships.

The withdrawal of development officers and other forms of assistance seems to have hit hard. As with the situation when BARLA was

formed the professional game and the RFL have no handle on the problem or interest in it.

Resources need to be redirected to the junior game and if this means the pro game has to do with a bit less then so be it. A tree

is only as strong as it's roots.

Always very interesting to hear about the junior game and the truth seems to be even established clubs are struggling for players, didn't you comment on East's & Miners in Leigh having problems too.

It's often said it doesn't matter where players come from. When quality junior players only come from small parts of the country it does matter and matters big time.

But what exactly do you want the clubs to do, as I am often told that Senior clubs cannot "directly help" junior clubs? 

leigh east under 13s have been relegated from the premiership to the 3rd division, miners have stabilised at our level but have had problems in the older age groups, even blackbrook who have produced many of the saints stars have folded the blues team in the 13s keeping just the royals and losing players to other local clubs as well. like i stated before it's not just a salford problem it is a national problem, when you get a town like st helens having only 4 clubs with under 13s teams then you know the junior game is in trouble. 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

spot on keighley, without junior rugby teams we would have no sam tompkins, james roby ot ryan hall by need help and quickly 

leigh east under 13s have been relegated from the premiership to the 3rd division, miners have stabilised at our level but have had problems in the older age groups, even blackbrook who have produced many of the saints stars have folded the blues team in the 13s keeping just the royals and losing players to other local clubs as well. like i stated before it's not just a salford problem it is a national problem, when you get a town like st helens having only 4 clubs with under 13s teams then you know the junior game is in trouble. 

Thank you for this information, Read RL & LE this morning talking about a "Galaxy of bright young stars forcing their way into the (Hull) team". Just gives the impression all is well with junior development and it's not............

On the NWC website Leigh East don't even list any clubs at U13, U14 or U15.

Do we have a town like Leigh with only one club producing for their academy if they open one?

Sorry for the thread drift just asking mighty warrior this one last question.

Thank you for this information, Read RL & LE this morning talking about a "Galaxy of bright young stars forcing their way into the (Hull) team". Just gives the impression all is well with junior development and it's not............

Do we have a town like Leigh with only one club producing for their academy if they open one?

You are just using this to jump on Leigh as being unfit for SL, your usual pro SL anti championship waffle.

Leeds and Wigan and maybe Saints, Wakefield MBC and Hull are the acknowledged power centres of the junior game. Is this decline

starting to adversely affect junior teams there ? If it is then the problem really will be seen to be serious.

I think another poster mentioned Blackbrook reducing the number of junior teams and London is declining as well. The RFL need to

address this as best they can asap before a terminal decline in juniors seriously affects the pros and the national team as a

result.

You are just using this to jump on Leigh as being unfit for SL, your usual pro SL anti championship waffle.

This is the first time I've come across these kind of labels for people in the disunity our sport seems to adore! When did we stop thinking of those outside our game as the real villains ( not because they're an axis of evil - though in some cases this could be an apt description - but because they're competitors) and begin to think of other leaguies as the problem? Anger turning in on itself is never a good look!

Also no mention of  SRD which is the whole point to this thread! So top, middle or bottom for the Devils? What do you reckon keighley? 

Oxford 100% League 0% KfC       I believe in absolute freedom of expression. Everyone has a right to offend and be offended. Taslima Nasrin

"When people say call me John .......  "  the Beiderbeck Affair   "There's a huge cloud of shame around ------ and ----------- being seen as bedfellows, as well as something rather unseemly and off putting .Amanda Palmer (Misquoted deliberately)

"And the pig got up and slowly walked away"   popular poem and song

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

This is the first time I've come across these kind of labels for people in the disunity our sport seems to adore! When did we stop thinking of those outside our game as the real villains ( not because they're an axis of evil - though in some cases this could be an apt description - but because they're competitors) and begin to think of other leaguies as the problem? Anger turning in on itself is never a good look!

Also no mention of  SRD which is the whole point to this thread! So top, middle or bottom for the Devils? What do you reckon keighley? 

Oxford 100% League 0% KfC       I believe in absolute freedom of expression. Everyone has a right to offend and be offended. Taslima Nasrin

"When people say call me John .......  "  the Beiderbeck Affair   "There's a huge cloud of shame around ------ and ----------- being seen as bedfellows, as well as something rather unseemly and off putting .Amanda Palmer (Misquoted deliberately)

The thread is about SRD and it went into the area of SRD producing their own juniors which is important if they want to progress

and this led to points about the decline of the junior game throughout RL but Parksider managed to steer it towards a Leigh

specific criticism of the Leigh amateur clubs as this is a championship club area,which is his modus operandi. I don't personally

know him but his constant moving of any subject towards a primacy for SL over everyone else becomes tiresome and a lot of it is

waffle. That's quite a mild term for you to get upset about.

If you want my opinion of SRD chances this next season then they should be on the cusp of the top eight. For future success they

will have to start developing their own players and help in rejuvenating the Salford/Manchester amateur game.

The thread is about SRD and it went into the area of SRD producing their own juniors which is important if they want to progress

and this led to points about the decline of the junior game throughout RL but Parksider managed to steer it towards a Leigh

specific criticism of the Leigh amateur clubs as this is a championship club area,which is his modus operandi. I don't personally

know him but his constant moving of any subject towards a primacy for SL over everyone else becomes tiresome and a lot of it is

waffle. That's quite a mild term for you to get upset about.

If you want my opinion of SRD chances this next season then they should be on the cusp of the top eight. For future success they

will have to start developing their own players and help in rejuvenating the Salford/Manchester amateur game.

Keefs, I want everyone's opinion even the trolls ( though I got into hot water over that one) but there is a level of having a go at each other and negativity that are not helpful or productive. The enemy will always be our competitors not fellow leaguies. Mild or otherwise TGG is the only way!

Oxford 100% League 0% KfC    

Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war minus the shooting.  George Orwell

I believe in absolute freedom of expression. Everyone has a right to offend and be offended. Taslima Nasrin

Also no mention of  SRD which is the whole point to this thread! 

Indeed, the junior issue is however important. The RFL were not pleased about Widnes academy not making great strides over local kids and Salford will suffer there as will Leigh more so.

In the race to sign imports whether from home or abroad Salford seem to be doing OK with big names joining which says it all. They aren't joining Widnes so it is Widnes beware, and i can see these two swapping places

Last year Salford won eight of the last 12 games, narrowly losing to Leeds and lost in the dying seconds at Cas in a game I attended. Nothing will stay the same and that form allied to more improvements in personnel may see Salford also pip Cas in their encounters and in league position this year, could easily be in "seventh" heaven. 

Really like the look of Salford "on paper".  Mean looking forward pack, outstanding full back, Halves of dobson and chase could be a real danger to any opposition. And good luck if Johnson and B j Bishop find a gap out wide. It's a quality side with Hock and Locke the key men for mine.

I hope the people of Salford get behind this side in 2015

Really like the look of Salford "on paper".  Mean looking forward pack, outstanding full back, Halves of dobson and chase could be a real danger to any opposition. And good luck if Johnson and B j Bishop find a gap out wide. It's a quality side with Hock and Locke the key men for mine.

Now that's what the thread is about and you're right they do have a good look about them. And that wing duo on the edge of some truly great ballplayers, shakers and movers! I've no idea how well they'll go I just hope they do so. 

Oxford 100% League 0% KfC       

Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war minus the shooting.  George Orwell

I believe in absolute freedom of expression. Everyone has a right to offend and be offended. Taslima Nasrin

This is it though, Salford look great on paper but can they gel as a team? and is Harris a top class coach? It's all shaping up to be an intriguing season ahead and I for one can't wait!! IMHO I can't see Salford dislodging either Wigan, saints, Warrington or Leeds to finish in the top 4 but I can certainly see them beating a few of these sides this season especially at home and come the playoffs who knows what could happen in knockout rugby league. Rugby league in England needs a strong Salford/Manchester presence both at the top level and grassroots level, it's a potentially huge untapped audience and gold mine for players.

easts have been elected to the third tier of the nwc under 13's league 

Indeed, the junior issue is however important. The RFL were not pleased about Widnes academy not making great strides over local kids and Salford will suffer there as will Leigh more so.

In the race to sign imports whether from home or abroad Salford seem to be doing OK with big names joining which says it all. They aren't joining Widnes so it is Widnes beware, and i can see these two swapping places

Last year Salford won eight of the last 12 games, narrowly losing to Leeds and lost in the dying seconds at Cas in a game I attended. Nothing will stay the same and that form allied to more improvements in personnel may see Salford also pip Cas in their encounters and in league position this year, could easily be in "seventh" heaven. 

widnes academy got a b rating parky, salford got an e rating 

widnes academy got a b rating parky, salford got an e rating 

Your better when you discuss the actual junior game, not when you are in Public Relations mode for Widnes.

There was IIRC a concern about the quality/playing numbers in Widnes. To what degree and why I'm not sure, but gaining and keeping SL status must help to improve things.

Maybe it's because of the general malaise that less kids are playing in most places, so a comparison with the golden days of Widnes junior development may be unfair, but I don't hold out much hope of a candid answer whilst you have that massive Widnes PR hat over your eyes and ears!!

What annoys me is that it's not that difficult, Salford just don't seem to know how to engage with their local community. Here in Altrincham SRD could have a cracking supporters base - there is much RL interest - despite RLs inability to promote itself

Here you go, another new initiative by the club....

http://www.thereddevils.net/news/red-devils-launch-school-engagement-programme/

Archived