DEWSBURY RAMS 19 SHEFFIELD EAGLES 10: Discussion and highlights

thehullram

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I going mad or are the rugby websites a little behind on things? On BBC, Loverugbyleague and Kingstone Rugby League websites they have Dews with 3 pts and Sheff with 1.... I thought they'd changed the points ruling for this season

Oh, and congrats BTW! Great start!

Am I going mad or are the rugby websites a little behind on things? On BBC, Loverugbyleague and Kingstone Rugby League websites they have Dews with 3 pts and Sheff with 1.... I thought they'd changed the points ruling for this season

Oh, and congrats BTW! Great start!

Yes, they are all wrong!

Fantastic performance,stuck in there when things went against us with the two eagles trys early on.Looking very promising,loving the Friday night games,anyone see that fox before kick off,good entertainment too with the brass band.

Congratulations Dewsbury, good win for you guys to kick the season off. Best team won for me so can't have too many complaints. There was a period where Mr Thomason killed us for penalties but we need to learn not to give him an excuse to do so. Your forwards got over the advantage line with ease as we tired, we couldn't muster anything really in the latter stages of the second half.

Good luck for the rest of the season, will see some of you at the Keepmoat I'm sure!

Usually in Sunderland, sometimes in Sheffield. 

Write for a few rugby league websites, mainly about the Kingstone Press Championship. 

Twitter - @DFSports97

Excellent win for The Rams. Very close game in fairness. Good crowd too ( even a fox turned up). I enjoyed tonight, even though I am not a fan of Friday night games. Well done to all who turned up, despite the weather not being too kind. Its been a very long time since we beat Sheffield. The stadium is looking good now as well. Happy times.

Congratulations Dewsbury, good win for you guys to kick the season off. Best team won for me so can't have too many complaints. There was a period where Mr Thomason killed us for penalties but we need to learn not to give him an excuse to do so. Your forwards got over the advantage line with ease as we tired, we couldn't muster anything really in the latter stages of the second half.

Good luck for the rest of the season, will see some of you at the Keepmoat I'm sure!

The reason Sheffield were penalised was due to constant off-side and laying on. Maybe they should have had some friendlies to get match fitness as they looked absolutely knackered in the last 15 mins

The reason Sheffield were penalised was due to constant off-side and laying on. Maybe they should have had some friendlies to get match fitness as they looked absolutely knackered in the last 15 mins

The pre-season no-show always causes debate. Always think it's best to have one or two but it's not me who picks the schedule. Another 'get better as we go along' season awaits I think.

Usually in Sunderland, sometimes in Sheffield. 

Write for a few rugby league websites, mainly about the Kingstone Press Championship. 

Twitter - @DFSports97

Good game, good crowd, great result. Don't think either team produced what they are capable of l, but a job well done. I'd give each player the following out of 10:-

Pryce 6 - made good yards each time, but slow to turn on their second try

Grant 7 - scored 2 tries, will be better suited to wider pitches and harder ground

Crookes 5 - only played 25 mins. Either not fit, in which case he shouldn't have started, or unlucky with an injury. Am sure he'll make the grade

Grady 7 - tackled well, him and Yere cancelled each other out fortunately

Morton 6 - bit unlucky with their first try, didn't think he touched the ball

Wildie 7 - organises well, tackles well, and I think set up 2 of our 3 tries

Thackeray 7 - fairly quiet game, but great try and unlucky not to create more

Haggerty 7 - some good go forward all game

Hemingway 7 - played 80 mins, great 40 20

Hepworth 7 - see haggerty

Hale 6 - tackled well throughout, well marshalled in the short ball off Thackeray that worked so well last year

Spicer 6 - tackled hard, good go forward, but couple of injuries

Brown 6 - again good tackling, couldn't find a way through their defence

Wood 6 - played well, no mistakes

aizue 7 - always ups our game speed when he's on

Adamson 7 - made good yards, was impressed on my first viewing of him

Farrell 7 - always seems to be able to make something happen, an off load here, a half break there. Be interesting to see how many tackles he made

Super start to the season, but last night is worth nothing if we don't back it up next week at Workington. #utr

Crookes had to go straight to hospital as his mouth was an absolute mess - a clash of heads apparently. A few of us were surprised to see a threequarter on the bench, but I'm glad he was there.

Sheffield are a very strong team who will get better as the season progresses. They started so well and it looked like they were going to blow us off the park. Steve Thorpe looks a great acquisition, Duane Straugheir and Eddie Battye seem to get better every year and they really punished us when we were slow at marker.

A couple of our forwards who made good yards going forward were very slow at the play the ball and were punished for it.

I think Sheffield tired after a really high-intensity start, but I also think our subs changed the game - in particular Adamson and Farrell. I think their late footwork ahead of the collision helped put us on the front foot and Aizue always gives everybody a lift when he comes on.

I was a little disappointed by the way that Thomason policed the ruck and I thought in particular that the decision to give a knock on against Pryce during the middle of the first half after about six seconds of interference was a poor one.

In the end it did prove to be Sheffield's downfall.

Michael Knowles continues to really annoy me. He's a great player but he is probably the biggest niggler in the Championship.

I don't think our distribution from dummy half was as good as it could have been, but well done to Hemingway for playing the full 80. I wonder if we'll see two hookers in the squad for the next match?

Well done to the Sheffield fans who made plenty of noise and a great contribution to the overall atmosphere.

And well done to Red and Gold Army for your magnanimity in defeat. Until the try in the last minute the game could have gone either way. We've really enjoyed your contributions to this forum over the last few weeks and hope you'll stick around!

With Stringer and Langley back in the squad moving forward you will be very to beat this season.

Tom

NickD, on 02 Feb 2015 - 9:57 PM, said:

You could play your second team and win..we just can't beat you lot and nothing suggests to me that will change this time. Hope I'm wrong of course and I can't make it because of half tern holiday so you never know. Would be just my luck to miss it shoud the miracle occur!

Typical NickD - they knew we couldn't go and won just to spite us. :rtfm: Good result though. :D

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Oh and Karl will undoubtedly continue to attract criticism from those who don't watch him play every week. I thought he was pretty solid last night. He maybe could have done better to clear Briggs' excellent kick for their second try, but he made very good yards every time he got the ball.

Tom

An excellent result and a real team effort won the day. No-one was outstanding in my opinion but no-one had a poor game either. It is really important this season to get off to a good start for all clubs, 23 games isn't that many in which to try to find form, and this should have lifted the squad and the coaching staff. Let's hope we kick next week.

On a mildly critical note I think we still continue to shift the ball to the right far too much - Dalton grant must have thought he'd turned out for a RU team he saw so little ball - and passing from dummy half was a bit inconsistent. I'm sure these will improve however as the players get more used to each other.

The rest of this weekend's games will be interesting now.

"Hey Ma, look at me! I'm on top of the league." (One for the old folk)

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Oh and Karl will undoubtedly continue to attract criticism from those who don't watch him play every week. I thought he was pretty solid last night. He maybe could have done better to clear Briggs' excellent kick for their second try, but he made very good yards every time he got the ball.

If he scored four tries and stopped five there would be some who would still criticise him. I'm just pleased that we managed to sign him for another season.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

If he scored four tries and stopped five there would be some who would still criticise him. I'm just pleased that we managed to sign him for another season.

I'll hold my hand up I was critical of him in his first season the thing is the supporters don't see the good things he does only the odd mistake just look last night he was drawing 2or 3 tacklers in every time & how many times did he run up to take the 20m 're-start,I'm glad he's playing for us & not against us!!

Young farrell was the best forrad on the pitch. Never stopped looking for work. Like lightening out of the line in defence and created havoc all night.

He'd and absolute blinder.

You just edged it in the halves and dews kicking game was better than briggsy's.

Didn't realise you'd signed 'peter fox'! Nice to see him introduced to the crowd before the game

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Archived