NRL stars in ref abuse probe

A hugely depressing story from the NRL, which illustrates the amount of abuse that refs are sustaining in Australia. The last line of the piece is particularly discouraging. This story should be a reminder to players, coaches and fans that trying to intimidate or influence the ref is unacceptable. Without the refs, there is no game at all.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/andrew-fifita-tells-junior-rugby-league-referee-ill-smash-you/story-fni3fbgz-1227456988701

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

The "Family Game" needs to not just acknowledge this problem, but actually do something.

A large number of disciplinary incidents in junior games are abuse related and the fines and bans are quite tough, yet nothing changes.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Dreadful behaviour from professional players. I'm not sure what the appropriate punishment is, maybe make both Fifitas ref junior games for a year?

If a fan could be banned for 12 months for this then surely it isn't overly harsh for a pro player to get the same.

Looks like the Fifitas have been stood down by the Sharks. Cronulla could really do without more controversy. They have already been banned from involvement in the junior game. David Fifita served a one year ban in 2011 for abusing a referee in a junior game.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/cronulla-sharks/cronulla-sharks-players-andrew-and-david-fifita-to-fight-bans-over-referee-abuse-20150727-gil30e.html

Come on how could anyone be surprised by this? They play for Cronulla who seem to exist only to bring the game down, seriously have a look at the long list of shameful events that have come out of this Club over the past decade and it will make your head spin! They truly are a disgraceful bunch.

So a full grown "24" yr old man, a Policeman no doubt is "abused" by a member of the coaching staff over concerns that he wasn't paying enough attention to an injured player and stopping the game. A naughty man swore at him. The said 24 yr old then films the incident, presumably sticking a camera in Fiftas face fanning the flames rather than dealing with it. Clearly the Fiftas should have said nothing and they forgot what sort of world they live in but this sort of juvenille overly officious reaction to the situation by a "Policeman" was never appropriate. One brainfart by the Fiftas and the footage become viral, threatens incomes and careers and can get blown out of all proportion by precious types who believe every word spoken in haste and anger is to be taken literally. Who wouldn't react to that possibility. The whole things sounds like it comes under the WOW that escalated quickly category.

So a full grown "24" yr old man, a Policeman no doubt is "abused" by a member of the coaching staff over concerns that he wasn't paying enough attention to an injured player and stopping the game. A naughty man swore at him. The said 24 yr old then films the incident, presumably sticking a camera in Fiftas face fanning the flames rather than dealing with it. Clearly the Fiftas should have said nothing and they forgot what sort of world they live in but this sort of juvenille overly officious reaction to the situation by a "Policeman" was never appropriate. One brainfart by the Fiftas and the footage become viral, threatens incomes and careers and can get blown out of all proportion by precious types who believe every word spoken in haste and anger is to be taken literally. Who wouldn't react to that possibility. The whole things sounds like it comes under the WOW that escalated quickly category.

Either you're trolling or a solid-gold numpty.  Either way that post doesn't deserve any further effort or reply.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

May i suggest medical help for you problems?

The last sentence is a bit unfortunate if you read it in the wrong context

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Either you're trolling or a solid-gold numpty.  Either way that post doesn't deserve any further effort or reply.

I don't think you actually replied to anything I said but just to confirm. I have neither of the traits you identify just experienced enough to know that sticking a camera in the face of a man who could be confronted in so many other ways is not the first port of call if calming of the situation is a desirable outcome.

How is it trolling? It's a fairly eloquent comment, isn't it? Must say that when first reading this story I did come over quite "Oh no! Not again!" but CHC does make some good points.

It's undoubtedly a good thing that the Fifitas were even at this game - as highly paid sports stars they don't have to be. Furthermore, if a player was injured and 1 of them has a gripe then we need to know more about this before rushing to judgement. We can't just assume that the ref was right and them wrong to (over)react.

I do also find it odd that the ref got his camera out. Why does he even have that to hand when ref-ing a junior game? Is that necessary?

If either lad has grossly overstepped the mark then that's bad form but I think there's a lot more to this story than the current one-sided version of events and I want to hear the full story. It would be sad if the lads fell victim to the recent (and mostly commendable) zero tolerance attitude of Dave Smith and NRL just to placate a paper with a headline-grabber and a baying mob. Due process here please.

How is it trolling? It's a fairly eloquent comment, isn't it? Must say that when first reading this story I did come over quite "Oh no! Not again!" but CHC does make some good points.

It's undoubtedly a good thing that the Fifitas were even at this game - as highly paid sports stars they don't have to be. Furthermore, if a player was injured and 1 of them has a gripe then we need to know more about this before rushing to judgement. We can't just assume that the ref was right and them wrong to (over)react.

I do also find it odd that the ref got his camera out. Why does he even have that to hand when ref-ing a junior game? Is that necessary?

If either lad has grossly overstepped the mark then that's bad form but I think there's a lot more to this story than the current one-sided version of events and I want to hear the full story. It would be sad if the lads fell victim to the recent (and mostly commendable) zero tolerance attitude of Dave Smith and NRL just to placate a paper with a headline-grabber and a baying mob. Due process here please.

Trolling can be eloquent!

It isn't good if they are going to set a bad example to the up and coming players. And one of them was playing! I am guessing, but must that not have been on the instruction of his club?

No one has assumed that the ref was correct in his judgement of the situation. Merely that Fifita was incorrect in his handling of the situation.

Maybe the ref had got wind of the FIfitas attending before kick off, and given the track record thought that having his phone handy might turn out to be useful. Although I think it is more odd that the footage has gone AWOL. 

Even with due process, I think that the injured lad would have to have been very seriously injured to warrant threatening either the ref or his property.

If Murdoch tabloids have taught us anything at all, aside from the fact that many women have large breasts, it's that, in cases like this, the facts don't matter. What does matter is rushing to judgement, no matter how ill-informed, and forming rigid opinions on the matter then spreading them far and wide on any available social media.

We can't be waiting around for what may be 24 hours, or maybe 48 hours in extreme cases, to have all the facts collected by the relevant authorities. It would irresponsible of us to allow relevant processes to run their course and have any appropriate penalties determined by the authorised people.

Another lesson we have learnt from the Dark Lord of Global Media is that any issue which can reflect poorly on the NRL management - the post-News Ltd NRL, I mean - should be presented in such a way as to make the NRL clearly responsible for that issue. Not only did the NRL cause it but their incompetence has seen them go nearly 3 days without jumping to any half-formed policy positions, rapidly followed by mindless knee-jerk reactions.

Having considered none of the first-hand evidence and having no direct personal knowledge of the incident I can reach one conclusion only. The NRL was so much better when it was run directly from the Fuhrerbunker at News Ltd HQ. I'm sure every fan out there who loves their RL will reach the same conclusion.

Even with due process, I think that the injured lad would have to have been very seriously injured to warrant threatening either the ref or his property.

Really? We all lose our rag a bit at times. It totally depends on how the ref handled it. As a pro who has seen a lot of stuff, D Fifita might be more inclined to be protective of his lads or feel that he can bring expertise to the table or something than a normal junior coach.

I do like Farmduck's idea, btw. If the Fifita lads hold their hands up and admit that even some of their behaviour was out of order then how about having them ref a bunch of games to show them how hard it is, give a bit back etc.? The kids would absolutely lap that up I'm sure. Let's turn this into a positive for the sport. Unless their behaviour has been unbelievably obnoxious and indefensible, the sport could easily turn this into a good news story.

If they did say the stuff and unless the lad was clearly seriously injured then I'd be on the side of serious punishment. They are senior pros who should know better. If a ref didn't stop a Leigh game when one of the Leigh players was hurt and gaz hock threatened to put his car windows in after the game, what would you say then?

I know we can all lose our rag, but if you do you have to live with the consequences

Andrew Fifita is hoping "positive statements" from enemy quarters will help his cause as the NRL continues its investigation into claims the Test star abused and threatened rugby league officials.

But the NSW State of Origin enforcer disputes the allegation and says having the chance to air his side of the story to the NRL integrity unit on Thursday is a weight off his shoulders.

"I've given them my statement and when it comes out, it will be a big relief," Fifita told the Nine Network.

http://www.nrl.com/fifita-tells-his-side-of-story-to-the-nrl/tabid/10874/newsid/88515/default.aspx

Archived