Time to move the Grand Final (Merged Threads)

We seem to do this question several times a season. For the prosecution:

• It's falling to bits
  • The pitch is too short and the in-goals are dangerous as a result

For the defence:

• No-one can come up with a venue of similar size in the North

Now what?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

There are no alternatives that don't see the RFL taking a financial hit on a lower crowd.

Unless they really can move to a smaller stadium and raise prices.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

There are no alternatives that don't see the RFL taking a financial hit on a lower crowd.

Unless they really can move to a smaller stadium and raise prices.

But they’re going to have no choice but to move the final at some point 

It's a decision that needs to be thought through and stuck with. Not many stadiums give the aura and history as Old Trafford. In a way we are lucky to play there. Always there for me. 

Out of interest and with real seriousness what other Stadiums would be an alternative.

• Like 3

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

It's a decision that needs to be thought through and stuck with. Not many stadiums give the aura and history as Old Trafford. In a way we are lucky to play there. Always there for me. 

Out of interest and with real seriousness what other Stadiums would be an alternative.

Wembley, London Stadium, Spurs, Anfield, Emirates to name a few 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Wembley, London Stadium, Spurs, Anfield, Emirates to name a few 

I don’t think anything outside the north would work for the GF due to the short time scale of when you find out the finalists. The only way round this would be if it could be sold to more neutrals like the CC final but I’m guessing that’s a long term fix. So that pretty much leaves us with Anfield 61k+ or Etihad 53k+ I wouldn’t have an issue with either after seeing the state old Trafford is in at last years GF. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Anfield.....rather have it at Odsal, what's new Everton capacity?

52k+ that’s 25/26 season I think one good thing with that the way it’s going we may be able to buy it. 

• Like 1

As a neutral most years. No way I’d bother again it’s an uncomfortable dump, a right s/hole. Not sure I’d bother if my team ever made it again. Awful experience last time in expensive seats. 

• Like 3

Etihad is going up to 62000 in around 2026, but that's still below most of the attendances the Grand Final gets.

I would keep it at Old Trafford for now. Man Utd fans put up with it for 19 plus matches a year, so I think RL fans can manage for just one match, especially when there is no serious local alternative.

Man Utd will probably sort out a new stadium/refurbishment in the next few years anyway.

• Like 2

This game is the Everest of Rugby League, with the Challenge Cup Final as the K2. Keep these games at OT and Wembley - they complement each other.

Moving Magic Weekend from  Newcastle is bad enough. (Leeds ffs.... ) Moving the GF at present is change for change sake ..unless the Cup goes to Las Vegas.😱

You'd've thought they'd've coped better with rain in Manchester. Or, indeed, anywhere in Lancashire.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

GF cant be moved anywhere else until OT is shut down for it's rebuilt/refit whatever they do in the end.

You can't move the GF out of the North, and no other stadiums in the North have the capacity that is needed.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Click said:

GF cant be moved anywhere else until OT is shut down for it's rebuilt/refit whatever they do in the end.

You can't move the GF out of the North, and no other stadiums in the North have the capacity that is needed.

Unless something drastic happens and Man U end up playing at the Etihad because Old Trafford becomes dangerous I don’t think it will be shut down. I think the idea is to build the new stadium on the land where Old Trafford is but not in the same footprint. So the ground should stay open until the new one is ready. 

4 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

You can count me out if they ever move it to a RU stadium.

I really enjoyed the challenge cup being on tour whilst Wembley was being rebuilt. Apart from the year it went to Twickenham very depressing soulless place. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, wilsontown said:

We seem to do this question several times a season. For the prosecution:

• It's falling to bits
  • The pitch is too short and the in-goals are dangerous as a result

For the defence:

• No-one can come up with a venue of similar size in the North

Now what?

You've missed a bit 

'Similar size' is up for debate 

Etihad is not as big but a much much better experience 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I really enjoyed the challenge cup being on tour whilst Wembley was being rebuilt. Apart from the year it went to Twickenham very depressing soulless place. 

Twickenham is by some margin my least favourite big stadium in the UK and I've been there loads

Difficult to get to, awful views from majority of seats, looks Soviet, ludicrously expensive drinks 

Yesterday I checked out tickets for the Gallagher Prem final they have there. Normal class 1 tickets are £95.....for club union....that is not hospitality 

• Like 2