Windows 10

They just released a major upgrade, installed yesterday. I'm generally still underwhelmed.

It now calls itself "Cortana" (maybe it's a Bruce/Caitlin thing. Now it says, "I'm Cortana. Ask me anything."

They just released a major upgrade, installed yesterday. I'm generally still underwhelmed.

It now calls itself "Cortana" (maybe it's a Bruce/Caitlin thing. Now it says, "I'm Cortana. Ask me anything."

That's Microsoft's new "intelligent" search facility in answer to Apple's Siri. It works both internally (programs, files etc.) and externally (the Internet).

You don't have to talk to it, you can just type.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Yes I know. I've used Windows since 2.0 so it's going to take more than a shallow gimmick to persuade me to stay. We should be getting optic fibre cable in this street within 4-8 weeks. When that happens I'm going to Linux or Ubuntu and finally unpacking my new sound system and monitor.

I tried to download an Ubuntu install but, with internet running at about 0.25Mbps, downloading a 1GB package is just a delusion.

That explains why, after installing W10 on both my computers in order to have the same operating system on both, they aren't both the same. I installed it on my laptop about 10 days ago and on the desktop about 3 days ago, so I guess I have to wait for my laptop to upgrade.

Anyway, it works. It's a bit different to W7 and W8, but not that much. I won't uninstall it unless I run into problems, but I don't think I'd pay for the upgrade to W10, as it just doesn't seem that much better. (I know! Tight git!)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Unless there's something you really need W10 for, it isn't a necessity. There are a few new toys to play with, a different look, and there'll be more upgrades and additions as time goes by.

If it seems a little short on options, right-clicking the start button gives you a different menu to left-clicking, and some familiar selections from earlier versions of Windows are listed there.

When your current PC conks, you'll be getting W10 on the new one anyway.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Unless there's something you really need W10 for, it isn't a necessity. There are a few new toys to play with, a different look, and there'll be more upgrades and additions as time goes by.

If it seems a little short on options, right-clicking the start button gives you a different menu to left-clicking, and some familiar selections from earlier versions of Windows are listed there.

When your current PC conks, you'll be getting W10 on the new one anyway.

Left clicking the "start button" no longer works on my laptop. I have to right click on it, then move one up the menu, slide right and left click on "shut down" on the sub-menu. A bit of a pita, but it works.

Like I said, I wouldn't pay for the upgrade. Sooner or later, though, you will all have to upgrade, so do it while it's free. That's my kind of price!

Left clicking the "start button" no longer works on my laptop. I have to right click on it, then move one up the menu, slide right and left click on "shut down" on the sub-menu. A bit of a pita, but it works.

Like I said, I wouldn't pay for the upgrade. Sooner or later, though, you will all have to upgrade, so do it while it's free. That's my kind of price!

I had that start button problem, but only briefly. The next update saw everything working normally again.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

I've had 10 on the PC and laptop for months now with just the odd glitch here and there.

It sounds brutal but turning them off with the power button fixes the non response of the start menu (and notification "center").

However the PC crashed spectacularly over Christmas and a days work failed to fix a registry error. It then locked me out! For the first time in decades I had to take it to the local shop.

An interesting conversation followed. It took them till yesterday to fix (by reinstalling) and they still don't know what the problem is. They say that even machines they sell with pre-instalked 10 or those they have built with a clean image 1 in 15/20 come back to be fixed.

The software is still flawed. My advise is unless you really want to and have the ability to fix registry errors stay where you are.

An apparently well-known Windows 10 error/bug/fudge up occurred with my lil netbook on New Years Eve, it didn't like my camera. It may have been because it was plugged in via USB but apparently Windows 10 doesn't like cameras. Plug it in and it'll see the camera, open the files and there are no photos even when you know there are.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/windows-10-wont-let-me-import-photos-from-my/67780584-4a05-4afa-8bdc-e16d9fbc2a0a?auth=1

I upgraded the Bootcamp image on my MacBook Pro to Windows 10 last weekend.  It doesn't like the USB powered fan base unit I have for when I play games that cause the laptop to get very hot.  If I try to boot into or reboot out of Win10 with the fan plugged in it gets in a right old strop for some reason and starts thrashing the CPU and graphics card GPU meaning it sounds like a small jet about to take off.  I actually had a look into the fan USB cable and it's only the power lines that are there and active, there are no data lines that could confuse it or any other smart circuitry.  I have to hard power down the laptop to get it to stop and then I run the risk of the thing frying if I can't get it cooled quickly enough.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Well I bit the bullet and tried again.

I'm still at the stage of having to type in a question about how I get to certain files but it seems to work. Hopefully it will become second nature soon.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Well I bit the bullet and tried again.

I'm still at the stage of having to type in a question about how I get to certain files but it seems to work. Hopefully it will become second nature soon.

Yes, there's always a "where have they hidden it this time" period with a new Windows OS. One tip worth knowing is that left-click and right-click on the start button brings up two different option menus. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

One of the reasons I installed W10 on desktop (previously W8) and laptop (previously W7) was to share stuff across our LAN and use each computer to backup up the other. I had got it working before, but thought it would be better if both computers used the same OS. I tried to get homegroup up and running - no joy. Messages to say there is no homegroup on this computer. Started homegroup from scratch and then tried to access one computer from the other - no joy. Message saying I hadn't got permission to access this computer. So, I resigned myself to backing up via memory sticks.

Switched on today and started File Explorer. Guess what? Both computers now appear under Homegroup in the left panel and a quick test suggests I can access files across the LAN. Why didn't W10 tell me to restart my computer for the changes to take effect?

PS. Left-click on the start button still doesn't work. I'm getting used to the right-click version now, so they'll probably change it in the next upgrade!

Well Win 10 running on my Surface pro 4 and Lumia 950XL is just about bang on! Love it

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Archived