Jarryd Hayne in the NFL (merged threads)

Pretty impressive in what he has done.

The San Francisco 49's Facebook page is getting lots of chatter about Hayne.

Ebay is full of #38 Hayne shirts.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

San Francisco done a awesome cross promotional on there fb site video with nrl. The world club challenge over there is a must

I saw that clip on their Facebook page, great for our game.

https://youtu.be/kxp2ZY9xDus

https://www.facebook.com/SANFRANCISCO49ERS?fref=ts

Jarryd Hayne has done a remarkable job to make an NFL roster in such a short space of time.

I agree that it is also wonderful publicity for the sport. Unfortunately that sport is American Football. Seems to me that it is Australia watching NFL closely rather than any US interest in Rugby League or the NRL.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Jarryd Hayne has done a remarkable job to make an NFL roster in such a short space of time.

I agree that it is also wonderful publicity for the sport. Unfortunately that sport is American Football. Seems to me that it is Australia watching NFL closely rather than any US interest in Rugby League or the NRL.

It will go a bit each way.

Any Aussies watching the NFL are only going to have limited interest only while Hayne does well.

They have had many kickers and a couple of defensive players do ok in the NFL over several years, Hayne is the big name star to break through from Rugby League.

Any increase in attention we can get in the USA market is a big deal, people looking at Hayne and his NRL clip may increase viewers and to some extent interest and participation over there.

It can only be good for our code.

I certainly won't be watching NFL, even the 49er's games. Have you seen a full game of NFL? Most boring sport I have ever watched. Even more boring than a 0-0 draw in soccer. 

It will go a bit each way.

Any Aussies watching the NFL are only going to have limited interest only while Hayne does well.

They have had many kickers and a couple of defensive players do ok in the NFL over several years, Hayne is the big name star to break through from Rugby League.

Any increase in attention we can get in the USA market is a big deal, people looking at Hayne and his NRL clip may increase viewers and to some extent interest and participation over there.

It can only be good for our code.

You may well be right and I genuinely hope you are.

All I can see is a player not playing our sport anymore with all the footage and interest in him being based on him playing a different sport.

I cannot think of an example where a sport has benefited from losing one of its superstars to a different sport but I guess this is a pretty unique example.

I am sceptical but at the same time I hope I'm wrong.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

You may well be right and I genuinely hope you are.

All I can see is a player not playing our sport anymore with all the footage and interest in him being based on him playing a different sport.

I cannot think of an example where a sport has benefited from losing one of its superstars to a different sport but I guess this is a pretty unique example.

I am sceptical but at the same time I hope I'm wrong.

He was always going to leave, apparently he has aspired to play NFL for a long time.

Nothing we can do about that.

I would rather see him do well in the NFL and perhaps raise the knowledge of our game in the USA than see Sam Burgess or SBW move to Union which is a direct competitor for our fan base and media attention.

If we could get a small part of the college athletes in the USA interested it would be a massive gain for us.

He was always going to leave, apparently he has aspired to play NFL for a long time.

I would rather see him do well in the NFL and perhaps raise the knowledge of our game in the USA than see Sam Burgess or SBW move to Union which is a direct competitor for our fan base and media attention.

If we could get a small part of the college athletes in the USA interested it would be a massive gain for us.

Agreed

I certainly won't be watching NFL, even the 49er's games. Have you seen a full game of NFL? Most boring sport I have ever watched. Even more boring than a 0-0 draw in soccer.

Thank god for highlights on YouTube as I also couldn't sit through 3-4 hours of stop start American football, it makes Union look entertaining.

This. I've been saying for years that there's definitely a potential reality TV show in which college "football" players that don't make the draft/NFL could attend NRL training camps held in the north east(New York), midwest(Chicago), East coat(L.A.) and South(Dallas) to be picked for a U.S. Tour to Australia in which they could play 4-5 games against teams from the Queensland/NSW cup and maybe a select aussie13. Players that impress could win trials for NRL teams and a potential contract. Get people like hayne and Russell Crowe involved in promotion and it could be a hit held every year.

Seems like the No.38 jersey is the top seller in the 49ers' online shop.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

more   years   ago   than   i   care   to   remember   keighley  had   two   american   football   players  trying   out   rugby   league.dont   think   they   finished   the   season,said   it   was   too   fast  and  didn't   fancy  the   tackles   without   padding.but   at   least   they  had   a   go,

Reminds me to read 'No Helmets required' again.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thank god for highlights on YouTube as I also couldn't sit through 3-4 hours of stop start American football, it makes Union look entertaining.

Union is on a par with strictly come dancing. I don't know where that puts gridiron.

Maybe you should ask Jim Rome.

I don't mind a bit of NFL actually.. Even though theres as much talk as on field action, the presentation of the game is second to none.. the major down side, as has been mentioned, is the amount of time it takes to play out a game!.. Doesn't help that nearly all games are broadcast late at night in the UK and its not one of those sports where you can record it and comfortably sit and watch it the next day..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

:blink:  :ohmy:

Stretching it a bit there aren't you?

Hope Hayne does well over there.

A success story like that would be a massive global publicity boost for our game, as long as the uninitiated are aware which rugby he comes from.

Great stuff.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I've been watching his progress fairly keenly and must admit that the phrase 'rugby league' is becoming more an more prevalent in the commentary. Great to see Hayne realising his dream via hard work and dedication. The fact that he retains a sense of humility throughout all of the hype (particularly from the Aussie media) is testimony his professionalism and attitude. I for one wish him nothing but huge success.

The problem though is if Jarryd Hayne is successful, then NFL, then club agents and player managers will start sniffing about in the NRL and perhaps also in Super League. In that case we could lose some of our greatest stars whom we cannot afford to lose for the good of rugby league.

Possibly. I can imagine a few going over for trials, maybe a couple more might even make the grade, who knows. The difference is Hayne wanted this, badly. Look at what he gave up in order to achieve his dream, he didn't jump on any bandwagon he made it happen. Let's not get too carried away yet though, he's got a long way to go.

The difference is Hayne wanted this, badly.

Exactly. For the majority who express an interest, rather than being, "I would like make a genuine attempt at playing American football", it will be, "I think it would be cool to be famous in America and wear all that snazzy-looking gear".

Archived