Jarryd Hayne in the NFL (merged threads)

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's taken a huge, and very brave, gamble going over there in the first instance and I'm hoping he gets to nail down a regular spot this comoing season. The danger is that if a late-comer to NFL from Rugby League can achieve success the NFL scouts just may consider casting their nets a little further. Time will tell.

In terms of being a reservist, he has become quite well known in the area.  However, he is not famous yet.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Really hope he makes it in the NFL as the exposure good be good for RL in the USA, Just a bit annoying that the American commentators keep referring to him as an Australian "rugby" player. Hopefully jarryd will put them right if he makes it to the big time and tell them he played rugby league and not "rugby."

Hayne is playing well again. Currently trending on Twitter in San Francisco, Dallas and New York. If the comments coming through are anything to go by, it looks like he will make the 49ers final squad as a kick/punt returner and number 3 running back. 

Edit - now trending across the USA as a whole

I'd say he's pretty much nailed on for a roster place now.

Runners in NFL are obsessed with protecting the ball so tend to hold on with both hands and curl up when the contact comes........I'm sure he'll make mistakes but his natural instincts are doing really well over there so far.

With his relative success at one of the biggest NFL clubs Rugby league in both hemispheres should be busting their ass to promote our great game over there. League is easily the closest fit to American football........ and those guys are starved of any type of egg chasing from february to august with the NFL season being so short.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

In my opinion he was the best player in the NRL for several years before he made the move to the NFL.

Players like Thurston are fantastic play makers but Hayne was a beautifully balanced runner with great acceleration and top speed which is rare in a bulked up Rugby League player.

He can kick long and short, take shots for goal, tackle as good as a backrower.

Has played every spot in the backline except for scrum half at top level.

The complete player that could turn a game as he did often by his own brilliance and win a match single handed.

His versatility and use in so many spots by the Australian Test teams did not help his cause.

He set the last World Cup on fire when he was moved to Centre to cover for injuries.

Note some coarse language in the soundtrack below.

Sad to see his rare talent leave our game but he may shine the light on our code to millions of Americans.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

He is getting more attention now.  

The pre-season games include trialists, some of the players on that pitch will never play football again.  It will get tougher for him, but he has caused a stir.  That said, even enthusiasts are expecting him to become the third string running back.

But, he does have people talking.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Will he play in the first team in the NFL?

If so will he play in an important position?

Sorry to ask basic questions and if I should simply do more research please ignore this.

Also what does it mean to trend in an area? Does that mean 20 techie nerds "like" someone or something else?

Will he play in the first team in the NFL?

If so will he play in an important position?

Sorry to ask basic questions and if I should simply do more research please ignore this.

Also what does it mean to trend in an area? Does that mean 20 techie nerds "like" someone or something else?

If he makes the cut I would imagine he will start out on Special teams as the kick returner. In a sport which has offence, defence and special teams I suppose that would qualify as first grade.

As a running back he is similar type to Mark Ingram at New Orleans and Doug Martin at Tampa Bay. Frank Gore the 49ers lead running back for many years has gone so there is opportunity at the club but a lot hinges on how good an offensive line the 49ers have to create the space after the snap for the back to make "the run to daylight"

UPDATE

Looks like he's making the 49ers roster

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/jim_tomsula_jarryd_hayne_making_a_great_case_for_himself_for_49ers_final_roster/s1_12680_19405927

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Read a few reviews and they were raving about his carrys from punts, apparently they are more difficult to make yards than from kick offs.

Returning Punts are much much harder than returning kick offs, less space and time and very little planned plays. He looks devastating on these clips, if the 49's don't retain him, another team may take a punt on him.

But we have to also realise he's playing against a few rookies as well, so may find it harder in regular season.

Chuffed for the bloke.

I was one who doubted he'd make it over there, but he is a special athlete and he's obviously picked up everything he's been taught pretty quickly......I'd now be surprised if the 49'ers don't pick him. 

Even if he starts of in special teams he'll earn a lot more than he ever could playing League and he's worth every penny IMHO! 

Thank You for Listening

Derek

Archived