Richie Mathers banned

Richie Mathers banned for 6 months for breaking betting rules.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

It's on another forum "elsewhere" as only a rumour so, before any official confirmation appears anywhere, it might be best to tread very carefully.

:kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

It's on another forum "elsewhere" as only a rumour so, before any official confirmation appears anywhere, it might be best to tread very carefully.

League Weekly have just tweeted about it. Will be an interesting read this morning

LONDON BRONCOS CLUB STATEMENT

London Broncos player Richard Mathers has been suspended from all Rugby League activity for six months after being found guilty of breaching the sport’s rules relating to betting.
An independent tribunal found Mathers guilty of providing inside information on his club’s playing strengths and pre-match preparations, and of encouraging other people to bet on the outcome of a match using the social media messaging application, WhatsApp.
Mathers was deemed to be in breach of three RFL Operational Rules as follows:
3.1.3.1 Using in relation to betting, or providing to any other person for use in relation to Betting, any information relating to any match, competition or event(s) that the person has in his possession by virtue of his position within the sport and that is not in the public domain or readily accessible by the public without unreasonable restriction, save in the proper performance of that Person’s duties including but not limited to providing information to the RFL Compliance Manager;
3.1.3.3 Soliciting, inducing, enticing, persuading, encouraging or facilitating any person to breach any of the foregoing provisions of this clause 3.1.3;
3.3 Each person shall be held directly and personally responsible for any acts or omissions of the type described in clauses 3.1 and 3.2, above, committed by his coach, trainer, manager, agent, family member or other affiliate or associate of his, provided that the person had knowledge of, or assisted, encouraged, aided, abetted, or was otherwise complicit in, such acts or omissions. In that event, the person shall be treated as having committed such acts or omissions himself and shall be liable accordingly under this Betting Code.
The offences all relate to the fixture against Leigh Centurions played on March 20, 2015.
In handing down its decision, the tribunal took into account Mathers’ positive good character, the fact that he did not place any bets himself or profit from his position, and the impact the offence has had on his career.
The suspension runs from July 28, 2015 until January 28, 2016.

This just about tops all the other bad press that has finally come out over the previous 7 days or so.

The timing couldn't be worse;I don't think.

Trouble/Chanting from supporters - player banned for doping - referee arrested for assault on child.

This sport doesn't need enemies as the individuals involved cause enough trouble themselves.

I can't understand the timing/release of these stories.Can anyone shed any light on possible reasons for delays after findings by anti-doping/RFL Tribunals? If there has been a delay for appeal why is it now that Ritchie Mathers is seeking legal advice and his ban started last month?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

I feel sorry for the Broncos I really do.  As if they needed this on top of everything else. 

I think some folk are going a tad overboard with this one. He's served this ban recovering from injury, so hasn't actually missed any rugby.

The 220 fans London have left won't stop going because of this.

The only damage this has done (if the appeal fails) is tarnish Mathers' good character a little bit.

I think some folk are going a tad overboard with this one. He's served this ban recovering from injury, so hasn't actually missed any rugby.

So you know for certain that he was out for the season with his injury?  That wasn't what I heard earlier in the season.  And he will be still banned for most of the off season. 

I think that given London's struggles in recent times, including this season, the last thing they needed was one of the relatively few experienced players in their squad unable to be involved in pre-season training.

Of one thing you can be absolutely certain. No matter how low you think the Broncos can sink with a spanking by Hunslet in front of 250 lost souls. The club and its players can always find new subterranian depths to plumb.

And I wondered why the erudite Mr Mathers has not penned an article in a certain RL periodical since May 2015. Perhaps he will return in January 2016 as "Tipster Rich" ?

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Of one thing you can be absolutely certain. No matter how low you think the Broncos can sink with a spanking by Hunslet in front of 250 lost souls. The club and its players can always find new subterranian depths to plumb.

And I wondered why the erudite Mr Mathers has not penned an article in a certain RL periodical since May 2015. Perhaps he will return in January 2016 as "Tipster Rich" ?

Well there we have it. 250 in attendance and a loss at home to Hunslet. How on earth have the powers that be managed to turn London into this.

Utterly depressing. We really can't see what's important for our sport can we!

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

Archived