Leigh to ignore Salary Cap

No. it was nothing to do with P & R as such. The Swiss changed to the system we now have to up the attendances by making matches more "interesting".

The attendances did not rise, it did not work regardless of the additional "interest" which was dubious and in the end they abandoned it and.....

Attendances went up.

You cannot pay the bills with "interesting", and Solly is currently telling us how the system has been a success because "everyone" found it created greater "interest". This is highly dubious, as was KPMG's secret study and Solly's early season false declaration attendances were clearly up.

They were not......

im going to start a separate thread on the Swiss system Parky, as this is often used as evidence to bash this system, without the real facts being presented. I can only find limited info on it, so rather than derail this ill start a new one.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fans need or your club needs? If the first, equal central funding to all Championship clubs also needs to be added to that list.

I would agree with the equal funding but with a caveat that clubs must spend £1m on salary's and be FT to get the funding, I would have caveats in SL also - if you cant prove you spend the full cap then your funding drops. This equal funding must come with straight P&R though.

We must increase the FT player pool and expand via ambition - we must stop pandering after the failures. Clubs must increase cash because they have to, not sit back on the cap being funded centrally and stagnate. We need dynamic, aggressive leadership not appeasement if we are to grow our sport.

Jimmy spoke of cost cutting and although Mr.Green may have stopped short of going part time to do this he's cutting squad numbers as you state.

I'm not sure that cutting down the squad for a 30 match slog is positive news, as for more "quality" who have they signed then that is quality??

All I can see is some of the better players retiring, and professional player numbers being cut. Is that really mounting a stronger challenge for next year?

Bradford got near to Wakey this year, do we really think as things are going, that that small gap will get smaller??? Brian Smith doesn't think it.

Jimmy spoke of cost cutting immediately after losing an important match. Green told the local reporter the same night that we would be staying fulltime, but said reporter decided to go with the more sensational headline. Both green and ferres have given statements since saying we are staying fulltime.

They have also stated that we will be spending the full salary cap next year. The reduction is squad size isn't a financial one. the aim is to spend the same money on better quality players. One player (walker) has retired and he made no impact this year anyway. We brought in an ex SOO center in Nielsen albeit it too late in season to make an impact this yr. Don't see that as a downgrade, rather an upgrade.

Jimmy spoke of cost cutting immediately after losing an important match. Green told the local reporter the same night that we would be staying fulltime, but said reporter decided to go with the more sensational headline. Both green and ferres have given statements since saying we are staying fulltime. They have also stated that we will be spending the full salary cap next year. The reduction is squad size isn't a financial one. the aim is to spend the same money on better quality players. One player (walker) has retired and he made no impact this year anyway. We brought in an ex SOO center in Nielsen albeit it too late in season to make an impact this yr. Don't see that as a downgrade, rather an upgrade.

Well you make a good case for "Move along nothing to see" Matt, and if your a fan it's hard to argue with a fan's understandably optimistic view of the situation. You say "The reduction in squad size isn't a financial one. the aim is to spend the same money on better quality players". The policy of making cuts to the squad size is something that you admit yourself remains, and you will have to forgive me for taking the view, based on so many coaches stating they need a good sized squad, is that cuts are cuts.

In addition I'm looking for the arrival of these better players, and if they do come they need to be compared to the better players your target Superleague lame duck(s) are lining up to sign with what looks like the full £800K extra in their cheque book to yours, which is the whole point.

All things being "uneven" when any "star" player come up who will be effective at this "level" (That's a very bad word for the Middle eights) do they sign in at Leigh? Bradford? Wakefield? or Salford?

All four will offer them a "professional contract" but who will most likely make them a Superleague player, and who cannot offer them that??

Who can offer them any guarantee of becoming a Superleague player even if they help their clubs win all their league games 50-0, This is the point. If the system is heavily in favour of certain clubs in the middle echelons of the league, then the players and their agents will play the system. and the Superlegue clubs will be stood in front of Bradford in the queue at the agents door.

Where this is going will have a (albeit sad) fascination. We already see the comedy moment of Leigh grabbing at a bunch of Salford rejects with money they are not supposed to spend. It's a lot quieter at the Bulls, and I'm sure they are doing their sums to ensure if they blow a £Million on players to get nowhere, Mr. Green does not have to reach into his pocket which I understand is something he will not do.

The catch 22 for such as Leigh and Bradford is if they accept the monstrous handicap they are given by the middle eight qualifying competition, and again nick a win here and there against SL clubs either in the cup or in that Middle eight in 2016, then they will provide some sort of credibility to the competition and thereby justify it's existence and maintain it's longevity.

As one fan put it on here as the hooter sounded at Belle Vue and Jimmy sounded off too, "How close did we want it to be". Personally for me close enough for a rejuvinated well run Bulls to replace the lame duck who were a catastrophe right up to the Tim Smith incident.

It's all to play for again, and the clubs are all challenged to "come back stronger" next year. Brian Smith is adamant that the four SL clubs will be the ones who will do that, and I think Derek Beaumont believes that hence his belligerence over the salary cap. I think Jimmy believes that hence his tacit suggestion the club  play part time and save their money.

• 2 weeks later...

Great topic this !

As a Leigh fan, I fully empathise with DB's plight.

BUT - Disbanding the reserves is the wrong way to go. Wigan, Saints and Leeds are streets ahead for one reason, and it isn't the salary cap.

Its a fantastic youth policy !

The Middle 8's was proved to be an unfair competition. I agree with the shake up and it brought great entertainment. All 8 teams need to be treated fairly though in what they spend and who they can buy. Last year was a bit of a farce IMHO !

Great topic this !

As a Leigh fan, I fully empathise with DB's plight.

BUT - Disbanding the reserves is the wrong way to go. Wigan, Saints and Leeds are streets ahead for one reason, and it isn't the salary cap.

Its a fantastic youth policy !

The Middle 8's was proved to be an unfair competition. I agree with the shake up and it brought great entertainment. All 8 teams need to be treated fairly though in what they spend and who they can buy. Last year was a bit of a farce IMHO !

Well I didn't want to dredge this back up again but as you have.........

Ryan Brierley and Dave Hadfield commented on the outcome of the system this year and it seems to me a strong argument that having an £800,000 salary imbalance is a tad unfair.

What re-inforces the imbalance to be greater is the SL will get first pick of players and first pick of anyone floating about mid season when clubs want to bolster ranks for the play offs.

Add to that the point Brierley made which was Championship clubs were playing flat out to make the four........

Useless SL clubs could just take it easy and gear up for the eights. Wakey's Brian Smith agreed with that IIRC.

That Bradford were a few points off Wakefield is seen as justification for carrying on with the system. 

But as Hadfield said Wakefield were so useless and so far behind the rest of Superleague that the system may have excited people this time, but someone will have to go up or the excitement will Wane....No pun intended.

As for the ingoring the salary cap it seems two can play at that game as the RFL are ignoring registering Chase.

As for disbanding the reserves at Leigh I dunno about that. Were they bringing through players capable of playing Superleague?

I know Leeds, Saints and Wigan do it but they can sign the best young players, Leigh can't. If they did the lad would be snatched away - like Hardaker was from Fev....

When is Blake Solly's response to his "the system requires tweaking" statement expected, I was under the impression that it was to be in late October, or have I missed it?

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

When is Blake Solly's response to his "the system requires tweaking" statement expected, I was under the impression that it was to be in late October, or have I missed it?

It would appear that Solly, in his role as Super League General Manager is too busy sorting out rights for the England series in Australia.

Sure there may be other things for him to be working on.

It would appear that Solly, in his role as Super League General Manager is too busy sorting out rights for the England series in Australia.

Sure there may be other things for him to be working on.

Thanks for that Dave, but the England series in Australia?

If that were to happen surely it would/could be no sooner than the autumn of 2018, considering that we are 3 months away from the next season's kick off should that not be a priority to issue his statement, or is it the closer we get to kick off the least time allowed for any contentions.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

If that were to happen surely it would/could be no sooner than the autumn of 2018, considering that we are 3 months away from the next season's kick off should that not be a priority to issue his statement, or is it the closer we get to kick off the least time allowed for any contentions.

sorry, clumsy wordibg, sorting out tv rights for Australia with fox for the england series.

Australian TV rights for the England/NZ series happening now (http://www.nrl.com/inside-the-mad-scramble-to-get-test-on-tv/tabid/10874/newsid/90754/default.aspx)

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Its all done Dereks left a £2m cash bond and we have a £1.8m cap

Now, now Sweaty stop stirring the brown smelly stuff again.

Seriously it has gone very quiet on this subject, the OP started this thread about Mr. Beaumont's intention to break the cap and it progressed to Mr. B. seeking legal advice and Mr. Solly responding with........ well er not very much, is there any update from either party?

So... just let leigh muller the cap, then check their books at the end of the season. Oops, massive SC infraction, no promotion for you!

Maybe, and that could well be along the lines Mr. B. has been advised could happen, but if he has been advised in his favour that it is worth pursuing, could it be that he has communicated this to the RFL and they themselves are now seeking legal interpretation, hence the silence?

Maybe, and that could well be along the lines Mr. B. has been advised could happen, but if he has been advised in his favour that it is worth pursuing, could it be that he has communicated this to the RFL and they themselves are now seeking legal interpretation, hence the silence?

I don't understand this

I don't understand this

Sorry Zorquif,

Mr. Beaumont appointed a Legal Counsel to see if the RFL could legally stop him spending a sum of money further than Championship clubs are allowed to spend on the salary cap, his argument being that when the SL and Championship clubs come together in the Middle Eight's there is an imbalance in favour of the SL clubs.

I was speculating that if he has been advised that he has a case and informed the RFL of this, are they also seeking Legal advice, hence no statements being issued by Mr. Solly.   

Now, now Sweaty stop stirring the brown smelly stuff again.

Seriously it has gone very quiet on this subject, the OP started this thread about Mr. Beaumont's intention to break the cap and it progressed to Mr. B. seeking legal advice and Mr. Solly responding with........ well er not very much, is there any update from either party?

Rangi Chase's registration has not been accepted at the RFL which was the last news I heard.

If the other transfer dealings of players in and out has kept Leigh under the cap or equal to it then that's probably that.

Not sure Solly and the RFL have to do anything beyond not accepting registrations if they total over the cap.

Anyway Craiq knows Derek well perhaps he can find out what Leigh's next move is?

Not sure Solly and the RFL have to do anything beyond not accepting registrations if they total over the cap.

Anyway Craiq knows Derek well perhaps he can find out what Leigh's next move is?

Isn't one of Mr. Beaumont's objections (only to further his argument, I suggest) that it is some kind of restraint on a player(s) involved earning potential that his also being put under scrutiny?  

Again if the advise he is no doubt paying for, suggests that earning potential is a factor in his favour and it may infringe some or other employment law (pure guess work on my part), the RFL would have to counteract that if he chose to take it to a court of law.

Com'on Sweaty give us an update, and tell us what the legal's said to Derek?

Isn't one of Mr. Beaumont's objections (only to further his argument, I suggest) that it is some kind of restraint on a player(s) involved earning potential that his also being put under scrutiny?  

Again if the advise he is no doubt paying for, suggests that earning potential is a factor in his favour and it may infringe some or other employment law (pure guess work on my part), the RFL would have to counteract that if he chose to take it to a court of law.

Com'on Sweaty give us an update, and tell us what the legal's said to Derek?

My sauce says after evaluating costs a party of rather dodgy Sicilians have arrived in the UK

My sauce says after evaluating costs a party of rather dodgy Siclians have arrived in the UK

With Rangi's registration allegedly in limbo how are you getting around without your chauffeur aka Mrs Chase?

Seriously what the RFL could do is refuse to register players which means that DB can still pay them under their contracts but not be able to play them?

Archived