Leigh to ignore Salary Cap

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mrs Chase is on induction training

Is that also called taking a driving test

Seriously DB does seem to have gone very very quiet on this one which is completely against his previous behaviour

Any serious rumours doing the rounds in Leigh

Is that also called taking a driving test

Seriously DB does seem to have gone very very quiet on this one which is completely against his previous behaviour

Any serious rumours doing the rounds in Leigh

Reported in the League Express this week that they were having trouble fitting him under the cap and there had been interest from some Super League clubs. DB quoted that he was perhaps a little optimistic that Chase would drop a division but was still hopeful.  

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Reported in the League Express this week that they were having trouble fitting him under the cap and there had been interest from some Super League clubs. DB quoted that he was perhaps a little optimistic that Chase would drop a division but was still hopeful.  

Thanks for that AA

1. Com'on Sweaty give us an update, and tell us what the legal's said to Derek?

2. Isn't one of Mr. Beaumont's objections (only to further his argument, I suggest) that it is some kind of restraint on a player(s) involved earning potential that his also being put under scrutiny?  Again if the advise he is no doubt paying for, suggests that earning potential is a factor in his favour and it may infringe some or other employment law (pure guess work on my part), the RFL would have to counteract that if he chose to take it to a court of law.

1. Don't hold your breath Gary, you can see he's gone....

2. Don't hold your breath that Beaumont has the ability to smash through the salary cap. He can go round Europe spending tens of thousands on fancy lawyers, but eventually he has to put up or shut up. He has to challenge the RFL through a court and he may end up losing and facing the RFL's costs. The lawyers will find him an argument, they won't find him a winning one otherwise it'd have been made years ago.

I interpret the whole thing not as a serious effort to break the cap, but as high profile an objection as he can make to push the RFL into "tweaking" the cap so the championship clubs can compete for a Superleague place.

The RFL have already destroyed Bradford Bulls, I'd guess they don't want to destroy Wakefield Trinity as well. So whilst Leigh can't even fully scrape the bottom of Salford's barrel, Brian Smith is building up Wakefields squad for a much better tilt next year. 

Thanks for that AA

1. Don't hold your breath Gary, you can see he's gone....

2. Don't hold your breath that Beaumont has the ability to smash through the salary cap. He can go round Europe spending tens of thousands on fancy lawyers, but eventually he has to put up or shut up. He has to challenge the RFL through a court and he may end up losing and facing the RFL's costs. The lawyers will find him an argument, they won't find him a winning one otherwise it'd have been made years ago.

I interpret the whole thing not as a serious effort to break the cap, but as high profile an objection as he can make to push the RFL into "tweaking" the cap so the championship clubs can compete for a Superleague place.

The RFL have already destroyed Bradford Bulls, I'd guess they don't want to destroy Wakefield Trinity as well. So whilst Leigh can't even fully scrape the bottom of Salford's barrel, Brian Smith is building up Wakefields squad for a much better tilt next year. 

Hi Parky

1. Friendly £10 wager to Danny Jones fund says he will play for Leigh in 2016

2. DB has a shock and awe approach to business/life, obstacles are a challenge he relishes and will tackle any he see's as wrong imo. Anybody can see that the variance in cap for the same comp is wrong and relies entirely on implosion from a SL club that Wakey just managed to avoid, or horrendous injuries that last years silly rules on deadline would lessen.

I enjoyed the 8's and felt we were very close despite the injuries that shackled us, next year we will be a better side and know what needs to be done - with more to spend we will be more so.

2. DB has a shock and awe approach to business/life, obstacles are a challenge he relishes and will tackle any he see's as wrong imo. Anybody can see that the variance in cap for the same comp is wrong.

Does he agree that the difference in central funding at Championship level is also wrong? Is he/Leigh campaigning to have that changed as well?

Does he agree that the difference in central funding at Championship level is also wrong? Is he/Leigh campaigning to have that changed as well?

Cant answer for Derek on that, do you agree with Leeds getting more cash in the till than Cas? Yet Cas can spend as much on players as Leeds? Surely Leeds should give some of its income to Cas etc to even things up.

I think I have answered previously that imo the purpose of a sliding funding is to build a greater pool of FT clubs ready to step up via play offs. Change the rules to straight p&r with caveats of min player spend and FT clubs, and I agree with a level funding similar to SL structure. You shouldnt be giving PT clubs with no ambition to go FT or spend £1m on players equal funding from a smallish pot

Cant answer for Derek on that, do you agree with Leeds getting more cash in the till than Cas? Yet Cas can spend as much on players as Leeds? Surely Leeds should give some of its income to Cas etc to even things up.

I think I have answered previously that imo the purpose of a sliding funding is to build a greater pool of FT clubs ready to step up via play offs. Change the rules to straight p&r with caveats of min player spend and FT clubs, and I agree with a level funding similar to SL structure. You shouldnt be giving PT clubs with no ambition to go FT or spend £1m on players equal funding from a smallish pot

All those caveats look like criteria for gaining a licence. Surely if you want straight P&R it's just done on the field?

All those caveats look like criteria for gaining a licence. Surely if you want straight P&R it's just done on the field?

How do you know what I want? I actually want 2 x FT 10 with £1m funding for SL2 and P&R between them, and I actually believe thats the road we are on

Hi Parky

Anybody can see that the variance in cap for the same comp is wrong and relies entirely on implosion from a SL club that Wakey just managed to avoid, or horrendous injuries that last years silly rules on deadline would lessen.

I enjoyed the 8's and felt we were very close despite the injuries that shackled us, next year we will be a better side and know what needs to be done - with more to spend we will be more so.

Sorry Craiq in one paragraph you concede the comp is skewed in favour of SL then you tell me you'll be a better side with more to spend.

Does this mean that your saying leigh will be able to break the cap?

Sorry Craiq in one paragraph you concede the comp is skewed in favour of SL then you tell me you'll be a better side with more to spend.

Does this mean that your saying leigh will be able to break the cap?

I firmly believe there was one team that showed it could beat SL clubs in the 8's, and lets face it we should have beat two. Of course its skewed but thats for us to deal with, whether with an expanded cap or not. The culture at Leigh is to learn and grow, the lads left will be better in their 2nd year of being FT and the lads coming in add real quality where it matters

I think the debate about how to break the cap via loopholes has been covered already, and hope the rfl see sense. Someone mentioned Salfords turnover being £2.2m incl funding, I understand we are significantly over that with a fraction of the funding or fixtures

I firmly believe there was one team that showed it could beat SL clubs in the 8's, and lets face it we should have beat two. Of course its skewed but thats for us to deal with, whether with an expanded cap or not. The culture at Leigh is to learn and grow, the lads left will be better in their 2nd year of being FT and the lads coming in add real quality where it matters

I think the debate about how to break the cap via loopholes has been covered already, and hope the rfl see sense. Someone mentioned Salfords turnover being £2.2m incl funding, I understand we are significantly over that with a fraction of the funding or fixtures

Nice optimistic post Craiq, however the record is you were blown away by the other clubs in the eight and your boss is prevented from signing new players, whilst Wakefield Trinity's world class coach is building a side with new players your coach would very much like to have.

The idea Rowley can make his lads better players as time goes on and that you can get the players you need in via "loopholes", is pushing it a bit.

I have come round to the idea that if a Championship side as the resources it should be able to spend the same as Super League clubs. This is the only way a championship side has any hope of reaching Super League. It is all loaded heavily towards SL clubs, who have massive amounts of money to spend on players, and I go no further than Wakefield who already are throwing money about, but I do note they don't seem to be paying out on ground facilities.

If Leigh have money to spend then good luck to them. and I hope they can clear the massive barrier that the RFL have created, which means we are now back to Championship sides waiting for a SL side to go bankrupt to get promoted. They have now achieved in one master stroke enough money to be paid to SL clubs, and that not only allows them to continually strengthen their sides but, there is enough money so they don't have to bankrupt bankrupt themselves.

Nice optimistic post Craiq, however the record is you were blown away by the other clubs in the eight and your boss is prevented from signing new players, whilst Wakefield Trinity's world class coach is building a side with new players your coach would very much like to have.

The idea Rowley can make his lads better players as time goes on and that you can get the players you need in via "loopholes", is pushing it a bit.

Opinions and bum holes Parly you know the rest

We have hugely strengthened that is a fact

I have come round to the idea that if a Championship side as the resources it should be able to spend the same as Super League clubs. This is the only way a championship side has any hope of reaching Super League. It is all loaded heavily towards SL clubs, who have massive amounts of money to spend on players, and I go no further than Wakefield who already are throwing money about, but I do note they don't seem to be paying out on ground facilities.

If Leigh have money to spend then good luck to them. and I hope they can clear the massive barrier that the RFL have created, which means we are now back to Championship sides waiting for a SL side to go bankrupt to get promoted. They have now achieved in one master stroke enough money to be paid to SL clubs, and that not only allows them to continually strengthen their sides but, there is enough money so they don't have to bankrupt bankrupt themselves.

Because Wakefield do not own the ground so why spend money on it that should be the owners, they are still waiting to move forward with the new ground but we all aware of that saga.

Because Wakefield do not own the ground so why spend money on it 

Why indeed. Licensing is dead and Super league clubs do not have any pressure on them to spend on off field matters any more.

They can spend all their money on making sure they have a powerful playing squad of professionals backed up by reserves/academy/DR.

Then they can blow Leigh, Bradford and Sheffield out of the water every year 

I have come round to the idea that if a Championship side as the resources it should be able to spend the same as Super League clubs. This is the only way a championship side has any hope of reaching Super League. It is all loaded heavily towards SL clubs, who have massive amounts of money to spend on players, and I go no further than Wakefield who already are throwing money about.....

Nicely put. Under the old one up and one down system £500,000 was enough to build a team to get promotion, and the new system gives the top championship clubs that prize money. However it blocks auto P & R. 

As we stand we see top coaches being brought in at Salford and Wakefield to concentrate on spending all the money they can to blow away Championship clubs if it has to come to that again next year.

This year Leigh, London and Bradford chose to be professional from the off, and Sheffield and Halifax made decisions on this mid season, amid people claiming the new system was doing a brilliant job in creating up to a record 17 professional clubs - 18 if Featherstone decided to give it a go.

But if you look at this "growth" beyond the headlines you see Fev and Halifax deciding not to join the party, London struggling despite professionalism, Leigh's Beaumont on a major dispute with the RFL on the limitations he's under, and Bradford fans predicting abandoning professionalism after next season. Pretty much leaves only Sheffield showing any real enthusiasm.

Will the end of this system be brought about by clubs abandoning professionalism and pocketing the prize money until they force a re-think from the RFL.

The system (Playing Format) in terms of what it is designed to achieve is not the issue in my view, but the allocation of finances across the sport definately is.

The playing format would provide some seriously interesting viewing if all clubs could be given equal resources, therefore 2 Divisions of 10 (SL1 & SL2) that contained 20 full time clubs on equal money would be the pipedream!!!

Realistically, if the RFL/SL could twist the arm of the sponsors just that bit more and certain "bigger clubs" could see the "bigger picture" then we may well have a much better long term solution that is in interests of the sport, its growth and marketability.

SL1

Castleford

Catalans

Huddersfield Giants

Hull FC

Hull KR

Leeds Rhinos

St Helens

Warrington Wolves

Wigan Warriors

Widnes Vikings

SL2

Bradford Bulls

Dewsbury Rams

Featherstone

Halifax

Leigh Centurions

Salford Red Devils

Sheffield Eagles

London Broncos

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats

Workington

JMO 

The system (Playing Format) in terms of what it is designed to achieve is not the issue in my view, but the allocation of finances across the sport definately is.

The playing format would provide some seriously interesting viewing if all clubs could be given equal resources, therefore 2 Divisions of 10 (SL1 & SL2) that contained 20 full time clubs on equal money would be the pipedream!!!

Realistically, if the RFL/SL could twist the arm of the sponsors just that bit more and certain "bigger clubs" could see the "bigger picture" then we may well have a much better long term solution that is in interests of the sport, its growth and marketability.

SL1

Castleford

Catalans

Huddersfield Giants

Hull FC

Hull KR

Leeds Rhinos

St Helens

Warrington Wolves

Wigan Warriors

Widnes Vikings

SL2

Bradford Bulls

Dewsbury Rams

Featherstone

Halifax

Leigh Centurions

Salford Red Devils

Sheffield Eagles

London Broncos

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats

Workington

JMO 

I'll say it before anyone else does,i'd have Toulouse in there

Yes it is a nice dream but it drags the standard down in the top division which in turn attracts the SKY money that is everything.

The top division was cut by two clubs to ensure enough money was available to support Superleague fulfilling the SKY contract.

SKY needed a shedload of persuading to allow money to go to clubs below Superleague, and I suspect at the end of the current contract, that may be pulled if all the championship prize money is wasted in the championship.

SKY pay for one quality professional league to televise, we have to live with that.

Archived