Rain, rain and more rain

Cheers SL. Every agency is working their socks off, and the some of the best people out there (Mountain Rescue) are volunteers. Some of them won't see their beds till Sunday afternoon then they have a normal job on Monday.

Think the rain is easing a little

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tense times in Perth. In 1993 we had unprecedented floods that caused millions of pounds of damage when much of the city centre, plus nearby housing estates, was inundated when the Tay broke its banks. Flood defences costing £25 million were built to "provide protection from flood levels caused by the equivalent of a one-in-200-year flood flow in the river coinciding with a one-in-100-year high tide".

Those defences are in serious danger of being breached tonight. High tide is at 11:30pm, I believe.

Same goes for Carlisle where millions of pounds were spent on flood defences post 2005 I think it was.  They are also now under threat it seems: http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/carlisle-advanced-severe-flood-warning-for-city-1.1231353

Shocking how widespread this flood emergency has become, and how quickly things have turned disasterous.

Posted on BBC Cumbria that they opened a release gate up river to save a Dam being breached. That then sent even more water down the Derwent and Cocker causing the new flood defences to be of little effect.How true it is we will never know as this rumour went around after the 2009 floods and the enviroment agencies denied it.

Any how my home town is once again under water despite 4.4 million pound being spend to protect it.

Seems Gods country is taking a battering and so sad to see watching the news here in the Netherlands  :(  :(  :(  :(

Carlise been warned to expect their flood defence to be severly tested around mid day tomorrow.

article_img.jpg

Just to give an indication, the River Derwent is about a foot higher than when it tragically brought down Northside Bridge in Workington in 2009. We've had 6 weeks worth of rain in 24 hours and we've still got high tide to come.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Saw reports that they expect the rivers to peak tomorrow, so its going to get worse.

Add in landslides and the wind bringing down trees and you have an awful mess.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I'm in Kendal near the river, luckily at a relatively high elevation, and it is frightening how much flooding there is. Lots of roads are covered in torrents of water and it's still spreading further out. Have never seen anything like this before. It's still raining and things can only get a lot worse with all the run off from the fells. Going to be a hairy few days.

Press seem to be focused entirely on Carlisle - possibly because it's reasonably well-known - but the police statements seem to show widespread flooding and problems all over the northwest and into southern Scotland.

The only actual fatality so far comes from London where a 90 year old man was blown into the side of a bus and died.

It's incredibly windy out and about here this morning - not as bad as whatever the last one was called but still strong.  I don't recall this many damaging storms in such rapid fire but over the past few years at this time of year it seems to be becoming more common.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Press seem to be focused entirely on Carlisle - possibly because it's reasonably well-known - but the police statements seem to show widespread flooding and problems all over the northwest and into southern Scotland.

The only actual fatality so far comes from London where a 90 year old man was blown into the side of a bus and died.

It's incredibly windy out and about here this morning - not as bad as whatever the last one was called but still strong.  I don't recall this many damaging storms in such rapid fire but over the past few years at this time of year it seems to be becoming more common.

Reports of a man falling into the swollen river in I think it is Kendal (but it may be Keswick - all the rivers in Cumbria are swollen just at the mo).  I've just seen a picture on Twitter of a road in the Lakes totally impassible because half of it isn't there anymore. 

The focus is on Carlisle at present simply because it was the last place on the Eden to flood so the waters there were due to reach maximum at about midday today.  Part of the city centre area flooded overnight.

The BBC in particular seem determined to 'prove' the flood defences built following 2009 were not good enough yet all of them held.  It's just some were overtopped.  And according to the Mayor of Keswick in an interview on TV this morning, where they weren't overtopped they were undermined by water finding its way into the protected houses by other means - in one instance by streaming through fireplaces! 

However, some not only held but also served their purpose (scroll down to tweet 'Thank goodness for flood barriers': http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-35015243

As was also pointed out, without the flood defences there would have been even more water pouring into people's houses.

Meanwhile there appears to be an awful lot of water still around and more rain on the way in the week ahead.  Such a tragedy.

The Kent had receded a fair bit this morning thankfully so my mum was lucky enough to avoid getting the house flooded, just!

Nice to hear that, chuffer.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Archived