League Express Tweeting that they have story that will rock the sport

Leeds have managed to win 7 out of 12 Grand Finals so I'd disagree, does anyone give a monkeys about winning the hub cap, I'd suggest not and the new structure to "make every minute counts" was surely an effort to counter teams coasting through the regular rounds to make sure they were in the best shape for the play-offs.

I'm not suggesting we don't have controls in place, I'm just of the opinion the cap is a complete waste of time, there seem to be many simplier and easier to police methods available to us to help control finances, then we just need other measures to ensure a spread of the talent to stop clubs hording.

Leeds have done brilliantly to win the Grand Final - but what they haven't been able to do is to dominate the table (although I do accept the shift in priorities for teams). They have only finished top of the table three times since SL started, but they are masters of the playoffs.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leeds have done brilliantly to win the Grand Final - but what they haven't been able to do is to dominate the table (although I do accept the shift in priorities for teams). They have only finished top of the table three times since SL started, but they are masters of the playoffs.

Agreed, but surely that just means they've been coached and managed players in order to peak in the play-offs and done it superbly at the expense of regular season form as all they had to do was just enough to get in the play-offs, making the league table highly misleading when it comes to measuring how competitive a season has or hasn't been.

So, to sum up this thread, we have two conclusions:

1. Koukash would say that, wouldn't he?

2. Green would say that, wouldn't he?

Repeat until the heat death of the universe.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The main offence is alleged to be the £48,000 contract for Puletua to be paid by Dr. K for doing a non job. Once again I have to note that this contract should have been tabled with the RFL when it was proposed. Green suggests it wasn't and the RFL refuse to answer that point. 

I'm sorry for having to repeat myself yet again but the alleged offence uncovered at the Tribunal can be investigated in minutes by checking Salfords salary cap returns. It's either there and RFL approved or it's not.

But let's not be driven in circles. I'm interested in your point of view as a fan of a club with Money and thank you for that. Time to scrap the cap???

Maybe the delay is that it's a tough question to scrap or not?? 

Which pretty much leaves clubs able to muck about a bit as long as they don/t push it. Would Mr. Davey like to have the financial shackles taken off do you know?

If I'm not mistaken Mr Davy has voted for the Cap , and I think he is on record as being in favour.

I have no idea how far he would be prepared to go with the club if the cap was scrapped.

I can see your thinking regards the delay. It could be ( just could be ) the RFL. is in a deep hole, and trying to build a ladder. It could also be everything is above board and the enquiry is taking as long as it takes.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

It's not enough to put your feet up at the end of your playing days. But for somebody in their 20s & early 30s it's more than enough for a comfortable lifestyle and enough to invest in other interests so they have a career after playing - there's a lot of education and support for players nowadays to make sure they are set for after the game

Yes I agree with all that

But you only have to read Ryan Bailey, Danny sculthorpe , terry Newton and others to understand that we need to really focus on our player needs

Tim smith and Kevin Locke also are examples of good players in poor cultures

But you only have to read Ryan Bailey, Danny sculthorpe , terry Newton and others to understand that we need to really focus on our player needs

thw game shouldnt beat itself up over the likes of Smith.

IIRC Dr.K saved Salford when they were facing actual closure with a chance of moving in with Swinton. Swinton had crippling debts though and have become nomadic again, and lost their Championship place. IIRC Dr. K is planning on building them the stadium they need for survival as a serious entity. 

That could be two more big names gone following London and Bradford as you say?

Easy as that??

Yep,as easy as that. No club or even group of "sick" clubs are bigger than the game. The NRL came down on expansion outfit Melbourne Storm like a ton of bricks for breaching the cap to be more competitive and Salford, if found guilty should be treated the same. If the Doc wants to spill the beans and can deliver evidence of other clubs doing it, then those clubs also need to be reprimanded in accordance with the regulations.

Furthermore, if it is proven that Salford have indeed flaunted the regulations after their owner publicly said that he would, I'd charge him with bringing the game into disrepute.

The Cap exists for a number of very good reasons, not least in offering some form of parity whilst ensuring that clubs are given certain parameters by which they should be able fiscally keep house. The same way that clubs that fail fiscally are penalised, like Bradford were, then clubs that flaunt the cap should pay the price too.

As for the reasoning behind Mr Greens involvement at this stage, I suspect that if Salford are found to have breached the cap in 2014, then Bradford would have a case for replacing Salford in SL, depending on the severity of the breach.

On the topic of Swinton (like his buying an NRL Club)...how far down the line is this rescue package? He does talk a very good game does Marwan........

You also mentioned earlier that maybe the RFL believed a successful Salford would see the crowds come back. If they believe this then I hold out little hope for our sport with Nigel et al at the helm.....Salford could win the Treble next season and they'd still be on sub 7k gates and reliant on the Docs cash.

Money and culture are two different things. Just throwing more money at players doesn't solve the underlying problems

As for the reasoning behind Mr Greens involvement at this stage, I suspect that if Salford are found to have breached the cap in 2014, then Bradford would have a case for replacing Salford in SL, depending on the severity of the breach.

Despite the best efforts of their friends at the RFL Bradford Bulls were declared bankrupt in 2014 so perhaps it would be the best placed Championship club who would have a case for replacing Salford,if,of course,they broke the salary cap and are relegated .  

Are you thinking of a 2014 club or one now after the kangaroo court has finished it's deliberations on this forum and elsewhere?

As you are a fan of the club owner,how about reinstating London to Super League? That'll please Leigh Centurions,and there has never been any doubt about their (Leigh) compliance with the salary cap for the past 3 years,has there?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Agreed, but surely that just means they've been coached and managed players in order to peak in the play-offs and done it superbly at the expense of regular season form as all they had to do was just enough to get in the play-offs, making the league table highly misleading when it comes to measuring how competitive a season has or hasn't been.

Well whilst I agree the shield is not a highest priority nor is it accorded appropriate value never-the-less Leeds seemed to be awfully pleased at winning it. The celebrations suggested they where very respectful of its value and achievement in winning it.

Maybe a huge payment in winning the shield to the club, even better if most of which is shared in bonus to players outside of salary cap may help give it added respect.   

Yep,as easy as that. No club or even group of "sick" clubs are bigger than the game. The NRL came down on expansion outfit Melbourne Storm like a ton of bricks for breaching the cap to be more competitive and Salford, if found guilty should be treated the same.

If the Doc wants to spill the beans and can deliver evidence of other clubs doing it, then those clubs also need to be reprimanded in accordance with the regulations.

Furthermore, if it is proven that Salford have indeed flaunted the regulations after their owner publicly said that he would, I'd charge him with bringing the game into disrepute.

Dave T may "like this post" and agree, but first things first. The penalty is points deduction so your both way out suggesting the club will be relegated. If anything they will simply finish bottom.

They may be "hammered" by a whole 20 point deduction.If it had been last year they would have finished bottom with -3 so no real penalty and the play offs would have given them chance to stay in SL.

Just read the rules. Isn't it totally ironic you make up penalties that don't exist, and others agree, yet I get charged with "making it up"

You and Dave may like the illogical idea the "Doc" will attend any RFL tribunal at their order. It's further totally illogical that the Doc can be made to "spill the beans" or "cry like a baby" or "grass his mates up".

Read what has been said, look at the facts, apply logic Gentlemen. Dr. Koukash is a strong minded multi-millionnaire, who is belligerent, litigant and doesn't bow to the RFL or their rules. That's the track record but you have him shrinking in the RFL dock taking his punishment and pleading mitigation to save himself. Maybe he will cry?

Maybe he will openly hammer them for being insular, parochial, self serving and the reason RL does not go anywhere. But I'm probably "making that up"

Have you read his statements where Koukash is clear he's not happy because he cannot compete financially, have you read where when the RFL say you can't spend another £400K a year he openly tells both them and the sporting world stuff them I will spend what I want??

Have you read where for the period of his difficult tenure where his efforts have seen him take Salford from bottom place to next to bottom place in three years (WOW!! what an achievement) he has often been asked whether he will stay. It's quite clear most commentators can easily see him walking away.....

Yet you see him in the dock "singing like a canary".

Bradford have no case whatsoever to replace Salford because of any breach. Making it up again? I thought it was me who does this??

The only way a replacement would happen is if Salford went bust and folded. The most logical replacement would be Leigh as they were top and have the better finances through Beaumont. Read the facts on this.

Read the facts - Koukash is running a big debt at Salford of £7Million?. He walks and there is no Salford. This will go on BBC TV sports headlines just round the corner. Wood and his mates will have national news microphones under their noses being asked about Superleague falling apart yet again.

You two may want to think it's "as easy as that", but I suggest with respect you both have a good think and look at the actual situation. The RFL fail to investigate (see Green's second formal letter to the RFL please don't post me post his lawyer) Koukash sits back comfortably because what's 20 points........

And he can walk anyway laughing that small men at the RFL could not beat him.

Superleague has lost city club London, City club Bradford, nearly lost City club Wakefield, and if they lose City club Salford what does that make Superleague??

A competition between small northern towns? How will we get any Sponsors or media coverage then??? A topic we debated long and hard only a week or so back.

ANYWAY that's how it is and I aren't going round in circles with you or Dave, with the thread ending being locked. So I welcome other posters having a turn on their views....... 

Stop trolling.

You post stuff to provoke a reaction, calling me out in reply to posts i havent written, but then finish with an innocent looking line about not wantng to repeat things.

You've done it throughout this thread, making your point and then saying agree to disagree, simply to quash debate.

Still repeating the making thins up bs too.

Fine, you win, crack on with the thread to yourself.

2 - That point has become a red herring because I challenged Gary O on making statements as fact, he claimed he hadn't just made stuff up. Parky then repeated over and over again about making stuff up. But to clarify again - people can make up whatever they want - if they pass it off as facts, then they should expect challenge. It is dead simple to write IMHO at the end of the sentence for example. There is also the fact that this board is about presenting contrasting views - yet some people don;'t like that

David, If have never once offered anything as a fact, I have offered my thoughts and deliberations as to what may or could occur, either my writing skills are simply not good enough to portray that, or you have some trigger between your earholes that puts you on the defensive immediately and you percieve what you think you've read.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Despite the best efforts of their friends at the RFL Bradford Bulls were declared bankrupt in 2014 so perhaps it would be the best placed Championship club who would have a case for replacing Salford,if,of course,they broke the salary cap and are relegated .  

Are you thinking of a 2014 club or one now after the kangaroo court has finished it's deliberations on this forum and elsewhere?

As you are a fan of the club owner,how about reinstating London to Super League? That'll please Leigh Centurions,and there has never been any doubt about their (Leigh) compliance with the salary cap for the past 3 years,has there?

No! Is the answer to Leigh breaking the SC. If you know different please emphasise.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

David, If have never once offered anything as a fact, I have offered my thoughts and deliberations as to what may or could occur, either my writing skills are simply not good enough to portray that, or you have some trigger between your earholes that puts you on the defensive immediately and you percieve what you think you've read.

apologies Gary the conversation we refer to was almost a week ago, but you are right you passed it off as a theory which i still challenged as made up.

This was a small point in this thread which we discussed and moved on from, but surprise surprise it has become a bigger point as some people want to bring it up as a distraction.

So what is the story that will 'rock the sport'?

Now tennis. That has a story that might rock the sport.

The chairman of a club has suggested that the investigation into a potential salary cap breach by another club in a different competition - one of countless such investigations conducted by the RFL - might be taking longer than he thinks it should. If you are experiencing any rocking, it's likely to be a result of the 18 pages of mental masturbation this news has caused.

Still, it's the close season, so we have to expect this sort of thing. Think of it as a kind of preseason friendly where the members of MarwanWatch get a chance to polish up their familiar moves: claiming he said and did things he didn't really so or say; suggesting that he'll "walk away" (because, obviously, that's what he does), etc. - and even practice some exciting new moves, like referring to him as "the good doctor" rather than by some infantile variation on his name, or - perish the thought! - by his given name. Using his real name is a bit risky in case, like Beetlejuice, he suddenly appears next to us, generally being evil in our immediate vicinity.

Marwan Marwan Marwan

_68231516_169513551.jpg

Oh 'eck. He is like Beetlejuice.

So, in summary, nothing concrete has happened. Rest assured though, that if something concrete does happen, you'll hear about it on here. At excrutiating length. Unless it's something positive about him, of course. MarwanWatch has a special "Secret Squirrel" protocol it adopts in that unlikely eventuality.

Anyhoo, this thread's all gone a bit handbags, so I'm sure it will soon be mercifully put out of its misery.

The chairman of a club has suggested that the investigation into a potential salary cap breach by another club in a different competition - one of countless such investigations conducted by the RFL - might be taking longer than he thinks it should. If you are experiencing any rocking, it's likely to be a result of the 18 pages of mental masturbation this news has caused.

Still, it's the close season, so we have to expect this sort of thing. Think of it as a kind of preseason friendly where the members of MarwanWatch get a chance to polish up their familiar moves: claiming he said and did things he didn't really so or say; suggesting that he'll "walk away" (because, obviously, that's what he does), etc. - and even practice some exciting new moves, like referring to him as "the good doctor" rather than by some infantile variation on his name, or - perish the thought! - by his given name. Using his real name is a bit risky in case, like Beetlejuice, he suddenly appears next to us, generally being evil in our immediate vicinity.

Marwan Marwan Marwan

_68231516_169513551.jpg

Oh 'eck. He is like Beetlejuice.

So, in summary, nothing concrete has happened. Rest assured though, that if something concrete does happen, you'll hear about it on here. At excrutiating length. Unless it's something positive about him, of course. MarwanWatch has a special "Secret Squirrel" protocol it adopts in that unlikely eventuality.

Anyhoo, this thread's all gone a bit handbags, so I'm sure it will soon be mercifully put out of its misery.

Indeed

It was a dramatic tweet

To sell newspapers

Which I buy anyway

Archived