Cancelation of sky

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well all the while they have Super League i will stick with them, and i know a few others who think the same.

I think the majority of RL fans with Sky subscriptions will carry on. But anyone switching to Premier Sport might want to mention to the Sky operative why they are doing so. Customer feedback, you know.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11,000,000 or so UK Sky Subscribers...if we all cancelled they wouldn't bat an eye-lid and if we did, it would probably result in them eventually dropping the sport and RL returning to the semi-pro days.........brilliant idea!

It's not about trying to get chippy with Sky because of their rather tired and stale RL coverage. It's about the overall cost increases brought about in order to, in great part, finance the Sky bids for Premier League football as well as the fact that the overall package does not give value for money and that there are better, more affordable alternatives out there.

Please try and give the facts and figures a rest, stop over analysing and accept that we are not all made of money or have an axe to grind : )

It's not about trying to get chippy with Sky because of their rather tired and stale RL coverage. It's about the overall cost increases brought about in order to, in great part, finance the Sky bids for Premier League football as well as the fact that the overall package does not give value for money and that there are better, more affordable alternatives out there.

Please try and give the facts and figures a rest, stop over analysing and accept that we are not all made of money or have an axe to grind : )

The 11,000,000 was in there to offer some sense of perspective. I am aware that not every one can easily afford sky, but to claim an handful of departing subscribers should mention ###### coverage of RL as a reason shows little grasp of reality in terms of how commercial entities work.

Sky have 40% of UK households......web generally get 1% of their subscribers watching RL and therefore we should be grateful of the amount they pay us. Asnhas been said before, no other TV companies seem in the slightest bit interested.

The traditional TV subscription is slowly dieing out. People want a lot more flexibility with the way they watch and pay for TV content, hence why we've seen the rise of such things as Now Tv, Netflix, love film etc..

The reason SKY launched Now TV was for this very reason.

In 10 years time the current generation of of 10-15 year olds wont be watching TV the same way us 30/40 somethings do now. Times are changing.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

The coverage was once excellent and great value for what was charged, it smacks in the face of total arrogance when they (Sky) devalue the product from what we were used to getting i.e. NRL, State of Origin, Test Series, World Cup, Aus v NZ International's, Championship Matches, Varsity Matches and they expect that we pay more for the privilege.

As someone suggested make it a stand alone sport payment, if you use it pay for it but at a reasonable cost.

I don't watch football, not at all interested in Formula One, I find Rugby Union abhorrent, in fact Sky Sports stayed in the Off Position till RL was on, which was once upon a time quite often, or Test Cricket involving England was aired.

Can't for the life of me can I bring myself to finance Sky to pay for other sports that I have no interest in.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Have never taken out a Sky subscription as the only thing of interest for us was the RL.  Just never made sense financially.

I do use their Now TV when their is a game of RL I want to watch.  Often they discount it to £6.99 for 24 hours or £10 for the weekend.     

Rather than spend the money on Sky subscription I attend additional games and still save monies (I don't include my season ticket in the sum as I would have a season ticket  regardless of whether I spend on Sky Now TV or even if I had a subscription).

At the end of the day the sky subscription costs includes the massive fee's paid to football. Hence, costs for subscription are way higher than if they didn't pay such high amounts for football. I just don't like subsidizing others preference, especially as I never watch football on telly.

The 11,000,000 was in there to offer some sense of perspective. I am aware that not every one can easily afford sky, but to claim an handful of departing subscribers should mention ###### coverage of RL as a reason shows little grasp of reality in terms of how commercial entities work.

Sky have 40% of UK households......web generally get 1% of their subscribers watching RL and therefore we should be grateful of the amount they pay us. Asnhas been said before, no other TV companies seem in the slightest bit interested.

Barnaby, I never made any claims regarding poor RL coverage being a reason for canceling the Sky subscription, in fact quite the opposite if you care to read my post again. The decision was purely financial, made in the knowledge that better deals are out there for the package that I'm after.

You can't resist quoting those numbers and percentages can you bud ; ) but they are pretty irrelevant in relationship to the reasons people on the forum have simply chosen to box a little more clever with their hard earned.

Barnaby, I never made any claims regarding poor RL coverage being a reason for canceling the Sky subscription, in fact quite the opposite if you care to read my post again. The decision was purely financial, made in the knowledge that better deals are out there for the package that I'm after.

You can't resist quoting those numbers and percentages can you bud ; ) but they are pretty irrelevant in relationship to the reasons people on the forum have simply chosen to box a little more clever with their hard earned.

No. What this thread is about is yet another moan about how us poor RL fans are hard done by. English RL has 2 broadcasters and has club games shown on FTA, yet some fans aren't happy unless they are dissing the providers of most of the sports income. Boxing clever is fine, but if watching the NRL on community TV and ignoring the domestic game unless you can get it on the cheap is your master plan, don't act stunned whennit all ends in tears for us as a sport. Without sky we'd end up on the scrap heap....

I previously had Sky when the Bulls were in Super League, and the last 2 years of that, they only appeared 5 times per season. I then dropped it altogether, was going to put it back on for League play offs, but by then had lost the zing to watch. I'd rather put my money into watching live Bulls matches, which amounts to a 400 mile round trip. Better atmosphere, and I don't have to listen to those terrible commentaries.

To watch everything I'd want to watch I'd have to have Sky, BT, Netflix and Amazon with a good bit of Freeview thrown in costing me a small fortune. Most of its cost is made up of Sky though by quite a long way. I seriously grudge how much it costs me and the persistently excessive football contract rises. I also seriously grudge how Sky pretend that that's not why their costs go up after every football contract rise.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Even the non-sport basic subscription was rocketing up year after year

I also have a real issue in seeing how much the football contract was increasing and then the Sky subs went up by a heck of a lot more than inflation. I'd have a different point of view if the football was on its own separate channels and subs and the rest on a general sports sub. £80 per month for football and £20 for the general sport would be right ;)

Then as a few have pointed out the range of RL coverage has decreased and it also needs a freshen up. Surely its not beyond them to have a RL magazine prog for an hour that is more than just repeating the highlights/tries. Maybe the RFL wanted less coverage in return for more money? Spend less on general RL progs or wider coverage and more in the Sky contract pot to be shared out?

I rang up to cancel the basic subscription as I'm due to move house shortly and they offered me a 12 month contract at £6 per month for basically a few channels less - those in the 500 range. So I'm happy with that until I move.

No. What this thread is about is yet another moan about how us poor RL fans are hard done by. English RL has 2 broadcasters and has club games shown on FTA, yet some fans aren't happy unless they are dissing the providers of most of the sports income. Boxing clever is fine, but if watching the NRL on community TV and ignoring the domestic game unless you can get it on the cheap is your master plan, don't act stunned whennit all ends in tears for us as a sport. Without sky we'd end up on the scrap heap....

lol. Mobdro. It's the future

Watching it on the cheap? I just stated that I was willing to make the 500 mile round trip to watch my team play live more often. Haha, I am stunned, but for differing reasons than you like to assume.

No. What this thread is about is yet another moan about how us poor RL fans are hard done by. English RL has 2 broadcasters and has club games shown on FTA, yet some fans aren't happy unless they are dissing the providers of most of the sports income. Boxing clever is fine, but if watching the NRL on community TV and ignoring the domestic game unless you can get it on the cheap is your master plan, don't act stunned whennit all ends in tears for us as a sport. Without sky we'd end up on the scrap heap...

Err no it isnt. The thread isnt a moan just a statement. I like the sky coverage and I agree with your point about sky support RL. But its the only sport I watch on Sky its not worth the money.

Oh and I started the thread.

This week on virgin I've watched two football matches boxing and cricket.

The season is nearly upon us and I can't wait

I hate Stevo but sky sports is great value....if you like sports. It's not called sky rugby league.

If this post isn't about moaning and its about the state of people's finances then it's well disguised.

I always cancel sky sports at the end of the SL season and let them know that I am only into watching rugby.

I used to watch a lot of football too, but since my team are likely to be relegated from the Football Championship this year, they won't be featured anymore. 

I used to watch boxing but any decent fights now are on Boxnation or PPV

I am seriously tempted to not get Sky Sports this year but suspect I will as I do enjoy my Super League. I do hate subsiding the football.

I wouldn't dream of cancelling SKY TV overall as compared to Virgin it is much better and has more channels. Freeview etc just doesn't do it for me and the cost of the package isn't too bad. It's just sports that has gone up a lot with a reduction in quality.

I'm mixed on this one - whilst it is a lot of money, you pretty much get Sky Movies for next to nothing if you have the sport - so that makes it worth while in itself.

There's also two other things worth considering.

At the end of last season's Boots N' All they had a history reel of Eddie & Stevo's time together on the show.

Now that came across as meaning one of the following:

Eddie and Stevo will no longer be involved this season, or

Boots N' All has been axed, or

Eddie and Stevo will take a 'commentary only' type role due to the strain of getting from the box to the studio.

The other thing worth noting is during the play-offs Sky had many extra games on Sky Extra on the website, and I'm hoping they continue this throughout the whole of this season, with Super League and Championship games.

This would be a major boost.

So let's wait 3 weeks and see before making any decisions - seems like the worst time to decide right now, unless its purely for financial reasons.

Stevo has said for a while once his current contract expires he's retiring, which i think might be at the end of this season. I wouldn't be surprised if Eddie sticks around, but at the same time i wouldn't be surprised if he's shifted when Stevo goes. We can only hope anyway.

I think if your paying for a subscription you should expect a certain level of output for what your paying for. I don't think we get that any more with RL on SKY. Actual games aside, theres very little to get excited about.

Personally i cancelled my SKY subscription due to needing to save money, and i couldn't justify paying what i was for the amount of time i spent watching. Not when i can get a similar amount of content for a lot less elsewhere.

The RL content is a very easy fix if SKY were willing or aware that it needs fixing. Get rid of Eddie and Stevo and get a group of people involved in the production that have a bit of imagination and a desire to make good sports programme's.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Archived