Batley preview

Keep The Faith

a batley side who granted have started well but are no world beaters.

You may be right old lad.

But I'd not change places with you on today's showing.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

You'll need it.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well without being repetitive to many other posters, fitness, slow line speed as the lads get tired from about 55mins. This is something an individual and as a collective we can change , I'd be interested to see how our players compare in fitness testing to other squads. The data must be out there as sports science and stats is all the rage these days. As an independent viewer Rowley has commented on each occasion that he thinks our fitness is lacking. We can change this and improve as a result.

I agree Gordon  looks okay , not sure Verlinden will put the effort in tho. Latu ? who knows?

But the point is unless they suddenly turn into James Pickering, these players arn't gong to be game changers,

Another half and a loose forward is what we needed. and that's where the money should have been spent

Not many Jimmie's about I guess, Gordon looks a trier but as with Perry look at the level they come from, the fact  that they maybe played junior level with whoever doesn't make them the same level.   but we seem to get carried away every time we sign an overseas low grade player!

Unfortunately didn't make today's game and to be honest didnt expect us to win but listening to Paul Rowley, comments were a bit worrying in respect of our pack running out of steam after 20 minutes as they did against Dewsbury ( his words). Certainly puts a question mark on our fitness and ability to compete at this level.

People say we have no money for players ...

How did we have money for the years with

Sione JT tane taani beattie Campbell roper kiddie Vaughan among others etc

Days when we signed Acton Walne briscoe Dowes along with the barrow contingent

People said all close season the recruitment wasn't good enough but oh no everything would be OK ...

One of the biggest problems with Town and Haven is the lack of information from the clubs.

Both sets of directors may be shareholders in their respective clubs but I very much doubt that either club would ever pay dividends out of any profits like a normal company.

So why the secrecy over the financial situation?

Supporters don't need to know the ins and outs of who gets paid what as that information should be kept between the employer and employee, but a 'general figure' could be released showing how much in total is paid out in contract money and how much is budgeted for winning pay etc.

The same could be said about the normal everyday income and expenditure at the club as well.

I'm sure there would be plenty of supporters who would have a better idea of how the club is funded and ran if they were given some information, it may even persuade some to get more involved in helping to raise funds for a particular part of the club.

We don't seem to have learnt any lessons from the past, openness is the only way to stop the speculation and rumours which come from being a Town fan.

It's all well and good having our own stadium, but what does it cost to run over a 12 month period, how much of a millstone is it?

Would it be more beneficial to pay £1000 per match and play at Borough Park?

also im pretty sure the clubs finances arent paying for sammut. Its been stated numerous times that local business men clubbed together to get him here.

Our fitness has gone backwards since chris took over. As has been said sammut bailed phil out last year, the gameplan of trudging down the middle must be down to him, and his ability to recruit is shocking.

Have to endorse this totally. Maybe Phil isn't the Messiah after all.As you say Wonky the game plans are totally predictable - the fitness levels are woefull and we seem to have squandered a lot of time and money dragging players from the other side of the world who are distinctly average or out and out pot hosses. 

I don't think phils ever been the messiah

Granted hasn't a big budget but people were forgiving last year as we were unlucky with injuries - I guess this year too but now we're back to near full strength bar Alex and walker questions are being asked

To be honest as I have said before I think we see PV through rose tinted glasses most of the time mostly based on his first seasons results. From then I think a lot of his decisions regarding signings and team selection have been questionable apart from the signing of JS which saved our skins last year. Is it his ability as a coach we should question or the inhability of the players to carry out his game plan combined with a lack of fitness that is the problem. When you listen to him in interviews he goes on about not following game plans and not making smart choices. Etc.

To be honest as I have said before I think we see PV through rose tinted glasses most of the time mostly based on his first seasons results. From then I think a lot of his decisions regarding signings and team selection have been questionable apart from the signing of JS which saved our skins last year. Is it his ability as a coach we should question or the inhability of the players to carry out his game plan combined with a lack of fitness that is the problem. When you listen to him in interviews he goes on about not following game plans and not making smart choices. Etc.

When Phil first took the job on he inherrited a group of players who he hadn't recruited. This time round the personell are down to him and it clearly isn't working out. He's also not slow to criticise the players in post match interviews which is never a good way to go. 

Without going overboard on this end of the world stuff, the worrying thing for me is when a bloke who's opinion demands respect in Paul Rowley says we are not fit enough. That simply shouldn't be true and if it is somebody needs to sort it pronto.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Without going overboard on this end of the world stuff, the worrying thing for me is when a bloke who's opinion demands respect in Paul Rowley says we are not fit enough. That simply shouldn't be true and if it is somebody needs to sort it pronto.

I agree,but sorting the fitness can't be done "pronto". It should have been sorted pre- season and judging by the way we cave in after 50 minutes it hasn't been. By the way is Rowley looking for employment ?.

I agree,but sorting the fitness can't be done "pronto". It should have been sorted pre- season and judging by the way we cave in after 50 minutes it hasn't been. By the way is Rowley looking for employment ?.

Are you implying he's creating an issue or asking whether he actually wants to get back into coaching, if so he has Workington connections and his Leigh teams certainly never got bullied so would you take him ? Or the other side of the coin is even with all that support and money he still couldn't get Leigh up so is any good ? 

Lets not panic to much folks, we have only got the likes of Stacky, Jarrod and Shacks back from injury all three will need more than a couple of game to get truly into the swing of things, Olly has got better in every game I have seen him play, it is gonna take Ryan a few games to adjust to our game and he is still recovering from being ill, Alex, Tom and Callum still to return and of course Latu , lets see how things pan out when everyone is back fully fit, I never expected any return from any of the matches we have played so far although London were there for the taking if we had been a bit more smarter, Oldham is a massive one, sorry bottom 6 is our league forget about the rest that's the very best we can hope for, lets be patient and back the players and the coach I am sure they are as -issed off as what we are.

Are you implying he's creating an issue or asking whether he actually wants to get back into coaching, if so he has Workington connections and his Leigh teams certainly never got bullied so would you take him ? Or the other side of the coin is even with all that support and money he still couldn't get Leigh up so is any good ? 

Allowing for all the politics and other imponderables  I'd grab Rowley with both hands. His analysis of the game today revealed the quality of his coaching credentials. I don't think for a moment it will happen but it's nice to dream. Would be good to have a Rowley back at Town -his old man was a legend. 

Allowing for all the politics and other imponderables  I'd grab Rowley with both hands. His analysis of the game today revealed the quality of his coaching credentials. I don't think for a moment it will happen but it's nice to dream. Would be good to have a Rowley back at Town -his old man was a legend. 

Wouldn't go that far, He was a decent player but no legend in my view anyway, (think we have had far superior props than Alan over the years)

Fully agree re Paul though, he made a few telling comments  today (as in fact he did when commenting on Dewsbury game), He seemed to sum up our game plan within 5  minutes, (as it would appear do most other coaches) especially worrying was the comment he made about Jarrod Sammutt, Think he said something along the lines that he felt sorry for Sammutt as he was trying things and working very hard but it seemed the rest of the team were not playing to same script!!

Is it worth giving Sammut a more hands on role as assistant coach to give the side some much needed direction on the field and utilise the experience he has acquired over the year to best effect.

Our lack of tries to date this season highlights the fact our game plan isn't strong enough to break the opposition's defensive line, so needs to change as the opposition coaches will study DVD's of all our games prior to playing us.

Presently the side are playing to PV game plan, which going by results so far this season (average score of 32-11 against) isn't working.

Defence wins games and at times the defence against London and Sheffield was all out to sea.

I'm not for one minute saying Vevers is a bad coach, but sometimes coaches need a little help as well.

We have an ex-Super League and NRL player and should be looking for his input to revive our season before its too late.

We have been notoriously slow starters for the last few seasons, giving teams above us a head start every year, so why have lessons not been learnt?

Can anyone remember how Ray Ashton ran the show in his first two seasons at the club before he went off the rails a little!

Archived