Batley preview

Keep The Faith

A succession of overseas forwards who have done little to improve our squad has sucked up our cash.

Disasterous recruitment in the last two years IMO. We needed game changers not plodders.

Totally agree with the last bit . Gordon has done ok but nothing different from any other prop . It's the key scoring & creating positions we needed changing . Every eye is on Sammut and the poor bloke can't be a one man band , especially with every team knowing he's the only avenue to cut off

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A succession of overseas forwards who have done little to improve our squad has sucked up our cash.

Disasterous recruitment in the last two years IMO. We needed game changers not plodders.

Have to agree, I wonder how they played today ? The Latu situation has been a financial disaster but who wanted him Horton and the others ? was it all down to PV ?

If we are being honest I doubt even the most optimistic Town fan would have expected to win any of the first 5 games so let's not get too pessimistic, the only cause for concern is our second half performances in the 2 away games. We were unlucky to be without some of out better players in the first 2 home games and we should have beaten London who are going very well.

We were always going to be in a relegation dogfight, we just have to win our games against the others who are down there, If we still haven't got any points after Good Friday, then we would have every reason to be worried.

Keep the faith

UP THE TOWN

thank god for you marra, excellent post, I'm not panicking yet not a chance, the season as just started and think we'll kick start our season next week!

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

Have to agree, I wonder how they played today ? The Latu situation has been a financial disaster but who wanted him Horton and the others ? was it all down to PV ?

Whoever it was has a lot to answer for. They won't have been cheap so it'll have stopped us bringing in quality.

But Phil said the first 3 games were winnable .....

After this time in the championship we should be established not hanging in relying on other teams being worse than us to make our season interesting !

And we thought the haven lot were deluded ! But I suppose he has to show some confidence in the team, is there any fans out there who thought that ? I thought the Broncos game was winnable, but that was based on their team last year, they are much improved.

I dont understand how latu can be brought into this. Its the lads on the field that need to take the blame. The lad is fighting to get himself on the field for us.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

No .. It was after the games billy .. He had no need to say that he had earmarked the first 3 as winnable !

What's he actually bringing to this club at the moment ? It seems he massively struggles to recruit anyone in this country, and can we trust his eye for a player in the history of Horton / latu/ Gordon / verlinden ?

Sammut got him out the ###### last year, be an interesting couple of weeks ahead boys

For me it's not the defeats that are disappointing it's the manner of them. At both Dewsbury and Batley we were in it at half time only to totally capitulate in the second half. Same in the home game against Halifax. None of these are full time teams yet their fitness seems much superior to ours. The fatigue is causing players to drop off tackles and we are conceding tries that are worrying. It'd be bad enough if teams were ripping us open with fast open play but we are conceding lots of tries from simple barge overs and dummy half scoots. Going to be a long hard season on the evidence so far. I keep hearing PV saying we are working on things but can anyone say they're seeing an improvement week on week ?

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

I picked up a great comment from big Chris hill when interviewed after the wolves came back to win in the last minute. He said the team made a conscious decision to become a team that could fight back when well behind on the scoreboard , we have a team of losers when we go more than 1 score behind we quit. The players need to look at the individual and collective effort as its happened too often. Very disappointed. 

Are we u fit or just simply not good enough?

Penalties killing us again!!

Town Til I Die! Win,lose or draw!

Tired players concede more penalties, not getting up off the tackle quick enough or getting back in defence.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Fair question . Every interview Phil wanted more. I think he knew what was what and where we needed strengthening . But it didn't transpire . Maybe Sammut sucked all the juice out of our finances .Don't know.

i don't think JS signing has sucked all the juice out of the finances. Also We are lucky to have him and he could be the key to finishing top of this mini league of 4. There's along way to go yet and last season was poor at the start but picked up.

So year on year our aim is going to be to survive the bottom 2 ? Really ? While the gap to the top gets greater and greater

They should promote the top 3 /4 to super league .. That would mean 4/5 could fight off relegation to the championship - promote the top 4 from champ 1 and make a much more competitive league - with the way the challenge cup results went the rest in champ 1 want shut down anyways

i don't think JS signing has sucked all the juice out of the finances. Also We are lucky to have him and he could be the key to finishing top of this mini league of 4. There's along way to go yet and last season was poor at the start but picked up.

also im pretty sure the clubs finances arent paying for sammut. Its been stated numerous times that local business men clubbed together to get him here.

Our fitness has gone backwards since chris took over. As has been said sammut bailed phil out last year, the gameplan of trudging down the middle must be down to him, and his ability to recruit is shocking.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

So year on year our aim is going to be to survive the bottom 2 ? Really ? While the gap to the top gets greater and greater

They should promote the top 3 /4 to super league .. That would mean 4/5 could fight off relegation to the championship - promote the top 4 from champ 1 and make a much more competitive league - with the way the challenge cup results went the rest in champ 1 want shut down anyways

agreed the leagues need restructured. Cumbrian clubs need help with travelling costs to attract players from out of the county. There can't be a league like this with such vast differences in budgets as it's not good for the game and is just demoralising.

You can talk about all the excuses under the sun but that 17 who played today are much better than losing 44 -12 to a batley side who granted have started well but are no world beaters. 

Winners don't look much past themselves when it doesn't work out and ask themselves could I have done more?

For me it's not the defeats that are disappointing it's the manner of them. At both Dewsbury and Batley we were in it at half time only to totally capitulate in the second half. Same in the home game against Halifax. None of these are full time teams yet their fitness seems much superior to ours. The fatigue is causing players to drop off tackles and we are conceding tries that are worrying. It'd be bad enough if teams were ripping us open with fast open play but we are conceding lots of tries from simple barge overs and dummy half scoots. Going to be a long hard season on the evidence so far. I keep hearing PV saying we are working on things but can anyone say they're seeing an improvement week on week ?

When PV first came we played some great open rugby, which added to a strong defence , made us highly competative -hence at least we got bonus points.

What happened ??

agree about the overseas although a bit early to judge this seasons recruits , saying that the local prop that has been consistent since day one wasnt in the squad today .

I agree Gordon  looks okay , not sure Verlinden will put the effort in tho. Latu ? who knows?

But the point is unless they suddenly turn into James Pickering, these players arn't gong to be game changers,

Another half and a loose forward is what we needed. and that's where the money should have been spent

You can talk about all the excuses under the sun but that 17 who played today are much better than losing 44 -12 to a batley side who granted have started well but are no world beaters. 

Winners don't look much past themselves when it doesn't work out and ask themselves could I have done more?

. Ye, so what do ye reckon went wrong today then Ginock

they should bring it back to how it was 2 seasons ago 14 in super league and 14 in ours went well like that for a few years cutting back in numbers was supposed to make super league teams stronger the aussie teams proved the other week the gaps probably bigger than ever

Archived