Brexit & Super League Europe feat.Catalans (Merged threads)

Just on a point of geographical and political information, Tonka, we are still in Europe and will continue to be.  It is a man-made institution, the European Union, that the nation has opted to leave.  So, European Super league will be fine.

The overseas players issue will no doubt depend on emerging employment and immigration law, but from a sporting perspective, I suspect that little will change.  What the future holds for Catalans' and Toulouse's use of British nationals remains to be seen.  I suspect not much change initially, after which, who knows?  That will depend on French and EU decisions, no doubt.

On a completely non-political note, I have enjoyed seeing how some young English lads seem to have blossomed in the south of France - for Les Dracs, Whitehead and, this season, Broughton and Myler obviously spring to mind.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better visit soon, before Mme. Le Pen does the same to France...

I suppose one possible effect on RL is that we potentially are no longer bound by the Bosman ruling (so transfer fees could make a comeback) and the Kolpak ruling.

Transfer fees never went away. Only transfer fees on out of contract players and I can't see that coming back.

I asked the mods to get this political c rap off the RL forum last page. I repeat my request.

I did, I deleted everything that was not directly related to rugby.  I'll do it again.  It is about rugby though so it'd be a bit rough to move it given the other stuff we've had on this forum.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I did, I deleted everything that was not directly related to rugby.  I'll do it again.  It is about rugby though so it'd be a bit rough to move it given the other stuff we've had on this forum.

Fair do's Craig. Not having a go at you for your thankless work, but folk can't help themselves......

I have to ask did you mean we have to post about rugby or can it be about Rugby League? ;)

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

if stringent restrictions come in, speedway could be interesting next year, we

have about 30 clubs and only about 20 riders of a decent standard born in the UK

I'm sure that any sport that has a high number of imports will be affected.

The plus side is British talent will be given a chance.

I think soccer is going to take a massive hit from the semi professional clubs to the premier league.

We'll have to become the British and European Super League?

And will it affect the quota of overseas players, or will we just not include players that yesterday would have been fellow Europeans?

Why? Britain is still in Europe it's not relocated to Asia!!

Britain has chosen to withdraw from the European Union of nations..

That's all....

Britain is still in Europe and can therefore still be a European league!!

I can see a short term player drain to the NRL, but only the decent players; the ordinary ones will continue to dominate SL.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

A quick check on the spread of the voting suggests RL fans were very much Brexit supporters in the main. Looking at other threads this probably isn't so surprising given many on here bring very nationalistic, not wanting anyone born outside of England playing for the country, for instance, and others wanting us to look after our heartlands first and foremost.

Being in the construction industry and working all over the world I really hope my colleagues and I are wrong and we don't end up in a recession as a result of the vote for many obvious reasons. Specifically for RL though, it is often our fan bases that are hit first and hardest in recessionary times, so there is likely to be a lot less money around in the game domestically, irrespective of how it affects us internationally, such as the NRL being even more dominant.

For me yesterday was a very sad day, but at least we've had some cracking games to lighten my mood.

With the vote to leave the EU I'm sure new laws will come in to make it harder for the Aussie or Kiwi people with the Irish Grannie to get a job here.

At least British Rugby League will benefit with British talent given a chance.

British talent already has a chance.  Get along to your local club train hard and try your best, if you are good enough you'll get in the team.  It's a simple as that, of course, if you aren't good enough you can just blame other people and of course it's always been easy to blame people from overseas.

If you want a clue as to why British talent doesn't always make it look at the school kids on their way to school in the morning with middle age spread, carrying a litre bottle of coke and eating a packet of crisps.  Or how about the strapping 15 year old whose mum parks on the yellow lines right outside school so their darling doesn't have to walk too far.

Never mind, let's just blame the person from OZ or NZ coming to this country to work for a living, play the sport that they love and meeting up with family members.

A quick check on the spread of the voting suggests RL fans were very much Brexit supporters in the main. Looking at other threads this probably isn't so surprising given many on here bring very nationalistic, not wanting anyone born outside of England playing for the country, for instance, and others wanting us to look after our heartlands first and foremost.

Being in the construction industry and working all over the world I really hope my colleagues and I are wrong and we don't end up in a recession as a result of the vote for many obvious reasons. Specifically for RL though, it is often our fan bases that are hit first and hardest in recessionary times, so there is likely to be a lot less money around in the game domestically, irrespective of how it affects us internationally, such as the NRL being even more dominant.

For me yesterday was a very sad day, but at least we've had some cracking games to lighten my mood.

I know that saying you always knew this would happen is easy in hindsight but the consequences for all sorts of important issues for mine including RL were always huge. Already things promised are disappearing as well. When I used the term fascism above I never meant that anyone who voted out was a fascist that could probably be said of both sides but the arguments used to persuade people certainly were and they were why out won. :(

For RL I worry that certain benefits will disappear and some newly formed initiatives in Europe will go to the wall. I hope I'm wrong but I see real setbacks in the development of our sport that will make Olympic recognition even harder to achieve. But this is just one concern of many that I feel we're now presented with and I'm not sure that the RFL are either geared up or have the ability to face the challenges. :help:

But you're right Mushy they were great matches! :biggrin:

Also will mean an end to my Dragons + booze cruise annual event, and that should never have been interfered with by someone called Farage. ;)

Also will mean an end to my Dragons + booze cruise annual event, and that should never have been interfered with by someone called Farage. ;)

It won't affect you going to the Catalan games, but the booze cruise could be a different story.

The 2 things that will affect Rugby League in this country will be we will lose any funding we get from the EU and all the overseas players in the UK will need work permits, but don't think this is going to happen overnight though.We are probably looking at 2 years before were out of the EU fully.

It won't affect you going to the Catalan games, but the booze cruise could be a different story.

The 2 things that will affect Rugby League in this country will be we will lose any funding we get from the EU and all the overseas players in the UK will need work permits, but don't think this is going to happen overnight though.We are probably looking at 2 years before were out of the EU fully.

And when I mentioned how bad this was :angry: .................. having two years to sort things out is nothing.

Yes that'll be fun going back to those days of you're only allowed five thimbles per person, really looking forward to that. The wife, who doesn't drink said "Well, that settles it Oxo we won't come back!"       :buba::O

A. 2 years is not a lot of time

B. Your decision infuriated every other EU member. You're getting out quickly.

A. 2 years is not a lot of time

B. Your decision infuriated every other EU member. You're getting out quickly.

A. 2 years is to long for me.

B. The UK's decision infuriated the EU members political class and the establishment(good) not the people common man/woman.

A. 2 years is to long for me.

B. The UK's decision infuriated the EU members political class and the establishment(good) not the people common man/woman.

2 years is not that much. Really. It will go by fast. 

As for the "common" man/woman, it does not matter. They're not who are going to dictate how quick you're getting out. 

But make no mistake, the decision infuriated a lot of "common men". It was a close call in the UK while the rest of Europe is looking at you like you killed Bambi.

The education I received was a British education, in which British ideas, British culture, British institutions, were automatically assumed to be superior. Nelson Mandela

In the last 15 or 20 years, I've watched the British press simply go to hell. There seems to be no limit, no depths to which the tabloids won't sink. I don't know who these people are but they're little pigs. John le Carre

And RL gets lost behind it all!

The education I received was a British education, in which British ideas, British culture, British institutions, were automatically assumed to be superior. Nelson Mandela

In the last 15 or 20 years, I've watched the British press simply go to hell. There seems to be no limit, no depths to which the tabloids won't sink. I don't know who these people are but they're little pigs. John le Carre

And RL gets lost behind it all!

Well, the education I received as a French citizen going to a French public school was... we're sick on monday, working for the workers union on tuesday, no class wednesday, late thursday and on strike friday. 

Well, the education I received as a French citizen going to a French public school was... we're sick on monday, working for the workers union on tuesday, no class wednesday, late thursday and on strike friday. 

Lucky barsteward, at least you have some rights left and some lefties left but then again your RL needs a bit of work so nothing perfect even in paradise.

Archived