The Tory Leadership Contest

Michael Fabricant has said he's transferring his vote to Gove because of Gove's "socially liberal outlook".  Erm... have I missed something?  It seems I've missed a lot in the last few weeks...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michael Fabricant has said he's transferring his vote to Gove because of Gove's "socially liberal outlook". Erm... have I missed something? It seems I've missed a lot in the last few weeks...

He's been quite good in that area with prison reforms. He's pretty much reversed all of Grayling's stupidity.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Boris might not get in the final 2 at this rate.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Boris might not get in the final 2 at this rate.

I suspect he might not want to at the moment, despite his persona he is a very shrewd operator when it comes to knowing what's best for brand Boris, and taking over this mess might not be the wisest long-term career move.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

I suspect he might not want to at the moment, despite his persona he is a very shrewd operator when it comes to knowing what's best for brand Boris, and taking over this mess might not be the wisest long-term career move.

His long term career now looks like being a very successful media trumpet TBH.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Oh Boris...

We must have:

- Free market!

- Free trade!

- Free from EU laws!

- Control of immigration on our terms!

But Boris won't do it.  He's dropped out.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Oh FFS... that means most likely Gove as PM.  Another reason to dislike Boris.

Oh Boris...

We must have:

- Free market!

- Free trade!

- Free from EU laws!

- Control on immigration on our terms!

But Boris won't do it.  He's dropped out.

He's retiring to his Telegraph column.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

He's retiring to his Telegraph column.

He's probably hoping for a cushy Ministerial role to set himself up for PM for after 2020.  Please don't let it be Health...

He's probably hoping for a cushy Ministerial role to set himself up for PM for after 2020.  Please don't let it be Health...

Tenner says he doesn't even stand in 2020.

(Or that sodding Scotty fiver of yours.)

He's probably hoping for a cushy Ministerial role to set himself up for PM for after 2020. Please don't let it be Health...

Like him or not you have to admire his chutzpah

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Tenner says he doesn't even stand in 2020.

(Or that sodding Scotty fiver of yours.)

It's a £1 note :P

I wouldn't bet against him standing down but I think (on the balance of probabilities) that he'll hang around sniffing for the next PM to be an utter disaster over the EU issue then step in as the great blonde hope.

I wonder if he's finally learning what it's like to be genuinely disliked.

I don't know where to put this either: sterling rising sharply on BoJo's withdrawal.

WTF IS GOING ON?

I think Boris has also learned how sharp the Tory knives can be and how they're far better devious politicians than he could ever hope to be.

It's a £1 note :P

So it is.

Drop me a PM should you be in London any time soon.  'Bout time I discussed this Lib Dem thing with you face to face.

Oh FFS... that means most likely Gove as PM.  Another reason to dislike Boris.

And he's ruined the poll on this thread as well. Maybe he looked at it, saw he only had 2 votes and that's why he won't stand. The power of TRL!!

We may soon have a PM who doesn't believe in experts, and who believes so much in British democracy that he dragged us out of Europe for it, but will only have been elected PM by a small group of people who are members of the Conservative Party.

British politics, eh. Doesn't it make yer proud.

He's been quite good in that area with prison reforms. He's pretty much reversed all of Grayling's stupidity.

A positive article on Gove from the Independent.

I'm now genuinely convinced I'm living in the last seasons of a dystopian Truman Show where ratings are down so they're throwing in a few shocks to get media attention.

May no longer advocates withdrawing from the ECHR.  That will upset some.  Bye bye the British Bill of rights.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Was the Vine email a mistake.....

Joins Leave campaign to boost his leadership chances.

Wins a referendum he wanted to lose.

Divides the country.

Sets in motion the end of the United Kingdom.

Then says nah mate, I'm getting out of here.

Bravo Boris, bravo.

Joins Leave campaign to boost his leadership chances.

Wins a referendum he wanted to lose.

Divides the country.

Sets in motion the end of the United Kingdom.

Then says nah mate, I'm getting out of here.

Bravo Boris, bravo.

I cannot put into words that will adequately describe my contempt for that man within the rules of this forum.....

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

I get the impression Boris knows he has messed up big time. I don't think he understands the problems, nor how to fix them, and he doesn't want the responsibility for doing so.

I note he is nowhere to be seen in today's Commons proceedings.

Turned out I was more right than I thought.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Contenders to be our next PM:

Stephen Crabb

Dr Liam Fox

Michael Gove

Andrea Leadsom

Theresa May

May and Gove are the favourites. I wouldn't be surprised if Leadsom did well?

Contenders to be our next PM:

Stephen Crabb

Dr Liam Fox

Michael Gove

Andrea Leadsom

Theresa May

May and Gove are the favourites. I wouldn't be surprised if Leadsom did well?

Man from the Kent group of local Tory associations on the radio just now saying (in his way) that he was gutted the members wouldn't get to vote Boris and was hoping they would now get the chance to vote Fox.

Archived