The Tory Leadership Contest

Conservative Party leader preference (Con members):

T. May: 29%

B. Johnson: 28%

A. Leadsom: 13%

L. Fox: 13%

S. Crabb: 9%

(via ConHome)

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Conservative Party leader preference (Con members):

T. May: 29%

B. Johnson: 28%

A. Leadsom: 13%

L. Fox: 13%

S. Crabb: 9%

(via ConHome)

Leadsom was on Radio 4 today calling people unpatriotic for reporting things that have actually happened. And, naturally, shouting down anyone who dared say otherwise, while complaining that she was not permitted to speak.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Leadsom was on Radio 4 today calling people unpatriotic for reporting things that have actually happened. And, naturally, shouting down anyone who dared say otherwise, while complaining that she was not permitted to speak.

Surprised she isn't favourite.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Some random thoughts.

Is this a good time for May? If she has to invoke Article 50 and lead the country through the brexit she didn't really want, what happens to her if (when!) it all goes belly-up further down the line? It's a career-killer.

Why does BoJo seem a bit half-hearted about this? (Perhaps it's too early?) Does he know what is in store for the next Tory leader and is deliberately coasting along rather than being all gung-ho for it?

Is Stephen Crabbe (spelling?) being set up as the fall guy? Does he realise? Does he care?

Perhaps this is the time for the serious long-term players to play pass the parcel and wait till the next leadership contest?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Some random thoughts.

Is this a good time for May? If she has to invoke Article 50 and lead the country through the brexit she didn't really want, what happens to her if (when!) it all goes belly-up further down the line? It's a career-killer.

Why does BoJo seem a bit half-hearted about this? (Perhaps it's too early?) Does he know what is in store for the next Tory leader and is deliberately coasting along rather than being all gung-ho for it?

Is Stephen Crabbe (spelling?) being set up as the fall guy? Does he realise? Does he care?

Perhaps this is the time for the serious long-term players to play pass the parcel and wait till the next leadership contest?

That is also a risk, if enough of the public who voted Leave get angry when it turns out that they aren't getting what they thought they would (or were promised that they would). Or if even part of what Remain said would happen does, and they find themselves significantly worse off.

Then there's the newly-encouraged racist element of society who will be dismayed that all people with brown skin and/or foreign accents haven't been deported, who will lurch off to UKIP/BNP/a new pro-hate organisation.

Today's Conservative architects of Brexit might quickly become unelectable yesterday's men (for a second time in the case of IDS).

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Some random thoughts.

Didn't she want Brexit?  I'm not so sure.  When people first started declaring for each side, there was disappointment expressed by the Leave campaign when she opted to go with remain so there had been an expectation she may join.  She has also made a couple of comments that suggests she's a closet leaver but she also stayed out of the battle and so could take both sides with her.  She's been working in the Home Office and knee capping the coppers. Given we've hardly heard a whimper from them the whole time she has been in charge I'd say she must have some ability with and reward from doing a tough job.  (Although she hasn't done as good a job it seems with the Border Agency).  I thought she was excellent around Hillsborough, which is pretty much as difficult as you can get.  All these could have been career killers for her I'd say.  I bet she'd likely relish the challenge of taking Project Brexit forward.

But maybe I'm just really, really hoping Boris doesn't get the job!

He's adjusting his character and plot line to suit.  He's already managed to either deliberately or carelessly misquote Germany's business group by repeating something they didn't actually say.  I'm dreading the party faithful thinking he's up to the job.  He really, really isn't.

I reckon he just wants to show the world he exists.  He hasn't a cat in hell's chance of making the cut.  He's only just been promoted.

Nah.  This is too good an opportunity to pass up.  If whoever is chosen makes a good job of this period then they will be a potential vote winner.  It's a risk but one worth taking if things go well.

Didn't she want Brexit?  I'm not so sure.  When people first started declaring for each side, there was disappointment expressed by the Leave campaign when she opted to go with remain so there had been an expectation she may join.  She has also made a couple of comments that suggests she's a closet leaver but she also stayed out of the battle and so could take both sides with her.  She's been working in the Home Office and knee capping the coppers. Given we've hardly heard a whimper from them the whole time she has been in charge I'd say she must have some ability with and reward from doing a tough job.  (Although she hasn't done as good a job it seems with the Border Agency).  I thought she was excellent around Hillsborough, which is pretty much as difficult as you can get.  All these could have been career killers for her I'd say.  I bet she'd likely relish the challenge of taking Project Brexit forward.

But maybe I'm just really, really hoping Boris doesn't get the job!

He's adjusting his character and plot line to suit.  He's already managed to either deliberately or carelessly misquote Germany's business group by repeating something they didn't actually say.  I'm dreading the party faithful thinking he's up to the job.  He really, really isn't.

I reckon he just wants to show the world he exists.  He hasn't a cat in hell's chance of making the cut.  He's only just been promoted.

Nah.  This is too good an opportunity to pass up.  If whoever is chosen makes a good job of this period then they will be a potential vote winner.  It's a risk but one worth taking if things go well.

How come you can so clearly see through the Boris Bull now but had such a problem two weeks ago?

Same Boris, same .

If not Boris, then what about someone personable, someone who has won the hearts and minds of the nation, someone who populates the wet dreams of the Tory faithful, a liar in the true tradition of the Tory Brexiters...

You can come out from under the stairs now, Gove...that nasty Mr Cameron had gone!

May is probably the most sensible choice out of that list.

She's held senior government positions so has a pretty good idea of how the cabinet operates and their relationship with the Civil Service, which is going to be absolutely vital in drawing up our EU agreements.

While she eventually declared for Remain she's on the whole been fairly Euro-sceptic over the years so is most likely to have some appeal to both sides of the party with a better chance of uniting them.

She's largely kept out of the mud slinging during the referendum so doesn't appear to have seriously peed off anyone, both within the Tory party and the opposition so I think most people could find a way of working with her over the next few years while we agree our new deal with the EU.

There are still question marks over her 'leadership' abilities but none of the other appear to offer anything better.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Uniting the Labour/Conservative topics in a way, the last thing needed is party unity and party uniters. There is no better time than the present and no better opportunity than the current chaos.

I'd like to see a right wing split with the odious Tories taking their rightful place in UKIP. And a left wing split with the Labour entryists and Momentumers buggering off..and taking Corbyn with him.

Never mind getting our country back. Lets get our parties back.

If not Boris, then what about someone personable, someone who has won the hearts and minds of the nation, someone who populates the wet dreams of the Tory faithful, a liar in the true tradition of the Tory Brexiters...

You can come out from under the stairs now, Gove...that nasty Mr Cameron had gone!

The Gover wants to be Boris' number 2.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Where is Spitting Image when you really need it?

We are so far beyond satire now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Where is Spitting Image when you really need it?

Spitting Image is completely redundant ATM, these things surpass anything they could ever come up with.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Spitting Image is completely redundant ATM, these things surpass anything they could ever come up with.

Yes the Day Today is now seen as a fact based prediction of the future.

Even the guy recognised as the most left wing economist in the world,Thomas Piketty,has now resigned from Labour,saying they are 'very weak'.

Ahem, there is already a thread discussing the turmoil in the Labour Party.

This is a thread to discuss the turmoil in the Tory party. ;)

Let's not mix the two, or there may be an explosion. 

Ta.

Ahem, there is already a thread discussing the turmoil in the Labour Party.

This is a thread to discuss the turmoil in the Tory party. ;)

Let's not mix the two, or there may be an explosion. 

Ta.

image.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sounds like the Fox is being kept out of the coup.  Might be a smaller field than initially expected?

Sounds like the Fox is being kept out of the coup.  Might be a smaller field than initially expected?

And then Fox says he will announce tomorrow.  I give up.

Sarah Vine sends Goves tactics to the wrong person...

http://news.sky.com/story/1719331/goves-wife-raises-johnson-leadership-concerns

"One simple message: You MUST have SPECIFIC assurances from Boris OTHERWISE you cannot guarantee your support. The details can be worked out later on, but without that you have no leverage.

"Crucially, the membership will not have the necessary reassurance to back Boris, neither will (Daily Mail editor Paul) Dacre/(Rupert) Murdoch, who instinctively dislike Boris but trust your ability enough to support a Boris Gove ticket.

Archived