The Tory Leadership Contest

How come you can so clearly see through the Boris Bull ###### now but had such a problem two weeks ago?

Same Boris, same ######.

I've seen throught Boris Bull for ages.  That doesn't mean I opt not to join in with a campaign I believe in.  I wasn't voting for a person; I was voting for a cause.  Quite a few people didn't get that.

Once Cameron returned from the EU with zilch, I was a leave supporter.  You could have had the animal content of Chester Zoo campaigning for leave after that for me because I knew what my vote was going to be.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen throught Boris Bull for ages.  That doesn't mean I opt not to join in with a campaign I believe in.  I wasn't voting for a person; I was voting for a cause.  Quite a few people didn't get that.

Once Cameron returned from the EU with zilch, I was a leave supporter.  You could have had the animal content of Chester Zoo campaigning for leave after that for me because I knew what my vote was going to be.

The animal content of Chester Zoo seemed to have voted for leave though they may not have campaigned.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Ah yes.  The charm of the remainers to the fore again.

Saying all Leave voters are rude and wrong is stupid.

Saying all Remain voters are rude and wrong is stupid.

Most racists voted for Leave.  That does not make all people who voted Leave racist.  Putting all Leave voters into one box would be wrong and stupid.  Uunderstood?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Saying all Leave voters are rude and wrong is stupid.

Saying all Remain voters are rude and wrong is stupid.

Most racists voted for Leave.  That does not make all people who voted Leave racist.  Putting all Leave voters into one box would be wrong and stupid.  Uunderstood?

My reply was a response to an open goal, it was so hard to resist.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Sounds like the Fox is being kept out of the coup. 

B'dum tish!

As posted previously, that's "disgraced former defence secretary Liam Fox". Surely no chance of him winning?

My reply was a response to an open goal, it was so hard to resist.

It was not particularly aimed at you.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

The fact that Fox even thinks he can run for PM says it all.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Not sure what to make of this. I don't think there's anything particularly surprising or newsworthy in there - I think this is how it is for all senior politicians on all sides. I dislike the implication (although it's obviously true) that Murdoch & Dacre have a big hand in selecting our prime minister. Just find it a bit hard to believe that this was accidentally sent to someone and it ended up with a newspaper - almost feels like a deliberate leak to give the impresssion "look, Johnson isn't here because Murdoch & Dacre put him up."

Gove goes alone -

Gove: "I have come, reluctantly, to the conclusion that Boris cannot provide the leadership or build the team for the task ahead"

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Gove gets backing of Dacre and Murdoch.... Gove wants to be out of the free/common market....

Gove gets backing of Dacre and Murdoch.... Gove wants to be out of the free/common market....

I think it's actually a more terrifying thought having Gove as PM than Boris because Gove actually believes the tripe he spouts.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

The god-botherers leadership election. I'm sorry to say.

Becoming to resemble the Republican Party in that respect.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Leadsom will enter (apparently) as Boris delayed giving her any deal on his ticket.

(Sky)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It's going to be a very crowded market.

The fact that Gove and possibly Leadsom have thrown their hat in the ring suggests that Boris isn't capable of getting people behind him.

He is by no means certain to be one of the two going forward to the membership.

I think it's actually a more terrifying thought having Gove as PM than Boris because Gove actually believes the tripe he spouts.

the most divisive politician since thatch?

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Listening to May's leadership speech today is about the most electable pro-Tory leadership plan, unfortunately it is a real step to the right from Cameron.

- She will invoke Article 50 but not before the end of this year

- Definitely no election before 2020

- Although balancing the budget is now off the table, if there's more money needed then it'll come from more cuts and tax rises are definitely out.

- She'd create a brand new government department to sort out the disentanglement and negotiations but it'll definitely be a Brexit Tory MP

So, if May gets in then she'll move us to the right a good bit but we'll not get a chance to vote for that as an electorate, despite the Tories railing at Brown years ago doing the same thing (but to the left).

p.s. did you know that the tartan suit that May was wearing is officially The Government Tartan.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

It's going to be a very crowded market.

The fact that Gove and possibly Leadsom have thrown their hat in the ring suggests that Boris isn't capable of getting people behind him.

He is by no means certain to be one of the two going forward to the membership.

And Boris will probably be going "ah well, at least one of my plans is working..."  I genuinely can't see him wanting the role now but he doesn't have the personal strength of character to come out and say that.

Listening to May's leadership speech today is about the most electable pro-Tory leadership plan, unfortunately it is a real step to the right from Cameron.

- She will invoke Article 50 but not before the end of this year

- Definitely no election before 2020

- Although balancing the budget is now off the table, if there's more money needed then it'll come from more cuts and tax rises are definitely out.

- She'd create a brand new government department to sort out the disentanglement and negotiations but it'll definitely be a Brexit Tory MP

So, if May gets in then she'll move us to the right a good bit but we'll not get a chance to vote for that as an electorate, despite the Tories railing at Brown years ago doing the same thing (but to the left).

p.s. did you know that the tartan suit that May was wearing is officially The Government Tartan.

If you read Theresa May's Facebook posting about why she's standing, it strikes me that she could almost have written it if she'd been standing for the leadership of the Labour Party.

There's actually very little on Brexit and more on general issues connected with social justice.

Becoming to resemble the Republican Party in that respect.

It is striking how many of the candidates (4 of 6 assuming Leadsom joins in) have talked about God in the context of their politics and how they've voted or made policy.

Can't imagine the Stephen Crabb US-style evangelical faction of the party has much time for Johnson (or indeed Liam Fox). Theresa May is vicar's daughter, convent school, rather different style.

All that was missing from May's speech was Thatchers voice.

She's clearly had the coaching and it's getting there.  Maybe if she smoked 40 a day then it'd put a bit more bass in her voice.

She doesn't have the Thatcher-esque swivel-eyed persistent threat of imminent violence coming from her though that's needed to keep the Tory MPs in line.  No Tory leader since Thatcher has had that and all it's done is encourage them to think they're free to be dissenters en masse.

Archived