Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Scubby

So I phoned the RFL ticket office (ref: Olympic Stadium). Brace yourselves

If people want to go to watch the game, they'll buy tickets. I doubt "not being able to sit in the top tier" will be a show stopper...thus people will just buy tickets at the last minute and eventually they'll open the top tier if/when necessary

The exact tactic people are complaining about!

rldfsignature.jpg

If people want to go to watch the game, they'll buy tickets. I doubt "not being able to sit in the top tier" will be a show stopper...thus people will just buy tickets at the last minute and eventually they'll open the top tier if/when necessary

It may give people (particularly casual sports fans) the impression that this is a 'small time' sporting occasion and that you will be rattling around like Billy no mates in a cavernous stadium. You might then decide to spend your money on a higher profile gig like a Saracens Wembley fixture or an NFL match. At least the authorities there think they can sell more than one tier FFS.

It is small-mindedness to the max. The bottom tier could have been sold out by Easter with the bl****dy fixtures out at the end of the Kiwis series and a proper pre-sale/early strategy.

Edited by Scubby

I doubt anyone would think that , oh there is only the bottom tier open this isn't the sport for I'm off to watch nfl. Total nonsense.

There will be a cost to open the top stand they haven't sold enough tickets to justify it. Once you get past the outrage there is usually a reason for everything.

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

I doubt anyone would think that , oh there is only the bottom tier open this isn't the sport for I'm off to watch nfl. Total nonsense.

There will be a cost to open the top stand they haven't sold enough tickets to justify it. Once you get past the outrage there is usually a reason for everything.

thw reason being they have woefully undersold this event so far.

We have exceeded 40k pretty much every time we have played the Aussies in London - that means we will half fill the top tier - open it up.

I want to sit in the same £50 upper level tickets as last year I would have bought them the day after the last game but am now getting annoyed so may well get cheaper tickets on the next discount code.

Why is the Australia game on a Sunday? I couldn't believe that. I was just about to book assuming it was the usual Saturday London game and it's now thrown all my plans out the window

That weekend there are football, rugby union and rugby league internationals all on in London as well. 

Friday Night, England play Scotland in the FIFA World Cup Qualifier; Saturday, England play South Africa in an Autumn International and on Sunday, England play Australia in the 4 Nations. All big games and they all have to be spread out for maximum attention in a cramped calendar.

Edited by Snooping Unionite

Wow. Another example of the incompetence and lack of ambition of the RFL. I had a look at the LinkedIn profile, looks like he's never had a proper job outside sport and has had lots of inflated titles for jobs that don't warrant it.

I'm sure RFL actually stands for Right F**kin Losers.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

What I've done before is bought tickets, and then when another area has opened up, called them back and had my seats moved. It was pretty simple

But you shouldn't have to. If you start to make it a hassle people won't bother. The fact we are not using the select a seat facility for stadiums that have this in place i.e Olympic, John Smith, Anfield, is another example of making it less than a comfortable experience

That weekend there are football, rugby union and rugby league internationals all on in London as well. 

Friday Night, England play Scotland in the FIFA World Cup Qualifier; Saturday, England play South Africa in an Autumn International and on Sunday, England play Australia in the 4 Nations. All big games and they all have to be spread out for maximum attention in a cramped calendar.

For one, the Four Nations should have been organised well before the world cup qualifying fixtures were announced. Not sure why it's always RL is the one that has to be moved and inconvenienced. True, it's probably for TV reasons, and I'm not usually one for complaining for the sake of it, but I do think the idea to play this on a Sunday is a particularly poor one that hasn't helped ticket sales.

Last year me and my family made a proper weekend of it as we live in different areas of the country, all met up at the stadium on the Saturday then went out after. My Dad was excited about it being at the Olympic Stadium again but as soon as he heard it was on a Sunday, especially at the original late kick off, he wouldn't entertain the idea at all and that was that. They have recognised this mess up slightly by altering the kick off time but I think the damage has been done.

Edited by Amber Avenger

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

The fact its being played on a Sunday im sure will have a factor. Though i've noticed at the last few Wembley finals plenty of people travelling down from the north of England do travel back on the same evening.. so a few hours after the game ends people could be back home in Leeds, Wigan, Hull etc.. (kings Cross is only 7 mins from stratford on the fast train from Stratford International).

Last time round against the Kiwi's the RFL's reason for not spending any money on promotion of the game at Stratford was because it was deemed a risk, and they were just dipping their toe in the water so to speak. Whats the excuse this time?.. after a successful hosting of the game with a decent crowd for a game that wasn't promoted you'd think that would be enough justification to actually try and sell the game this time round. Apparently not. Its pitiful.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

For one, the Four Nations should have been organised well before the world cup qualifying fixtures were announced. Not sure why it's always RL is the one that has to be moved and inconvenienced. True, it's probably for TV reasons, and I'm not usually one for complaining for the sake of it, but I do think the idea to play this on a Sunday is a particularly poor one that hasn't helped ticket sales.

Not just tv reasons, RL isnt big enough to dictate its own terms. For example what stadium could RL use? The sport doesn't own one at national level so has to wait for a window when one is free of use. Policing is another factor...two games on at the same time is often prohibited due to stretching police resources...an England vs Scotland game at Wembley is enough on its own to do that. Edited by SamM

I'm sure in the past when tickets for the entire stadium have gone on sale, people have complained that it looks terrible on TV having everyone spread around the ground and they should open up areas at different times.

Seems like a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

I'm sure in the past when tickets for the entire stadium have gone on sale, people have complained that it looks terrible on TV having everyone spread around the ground and they should open up areas at different times.

They got 44k for a fixture at this stadium last year FFS. Which means over 20k fans sat in the top tier.

If just a few weeks from kick off you found you couldn't sit there again you could assume that 1. This is going to be a poorly attended game with a rubbish atmosphere or 2. The RFL has absolutely no confidence in this and will not market it.

It is like when boxing has a less popular fighter headlining and they close of 3 quarters of the arena. Fans thinking about going to this know this is small time.

Edited by Scubby

You don't open the entire stadium, you open a couple of thousand in the upper deck opposite the camera so customers can buy what they want and see what the demand is.

They got 44k for a fixture at this stadium last year FFS. Which means over 20k fans sat in the top tier.

If just a few weeks from kick off you found you couldn't sit there again you could assume that 1. This is going to be a poorly attended game with a rubbish atmosphere or 2. The RFL has absolutely no confidence in this and will not market it.

If this crowd is a poor one, England won't be playing in London for a while. There is no investment and long term planning from our governing body; they are useless. 

The fact its being played on a Sunday im sure will have a factor. Though i've noticed at the last few Wembley finals plenty of people travelling down from the north of England do travel back on the same evening.. so a few hours after the game ends people could be back home in Leeds, Wigan, Hull etc.. (kings Cross is only 7 mins from stratford on the fast train from Stratford International).

Last time round against the Kiwi's the RFL's reason for not spending any money on promotion of the game at Stratford was because it was deemed a risk, and they were just dipping their toe in the water so to speak. Whats the excuse this time?.. after a successful hosting of the game with a decent crowd for a game that wasn't promoted you'd think that would be enough justification to actually try and sell the game this time round. Apparently not. Its pitiful.

I'll refer you to post #40 of this thread Mike. A post you actually liked.

rldfsignature.jpg

As others have said, if the RFL aren't confident they can fill it, why go there? That said, we'd all be queuing up to bash them if they held it at the London equivalent of the LSV...

If this crowd is a poor one, England won't be playing in London for a while. There is no investment and long term planning from our governing body; they are useless. 

I really think that not going back to Wembley for the Kiwis showed the level of ambition at the RFL. Even if we had got 45-50k at Wembley it would have been a great atmosphere. We could then have repeated the 2011 double header this time with a view to hitting 60k+. It was all there laid out after 2013.

Despite the deflating last minute defeat, being at Wembley in that 67k crowd was one of the better experiences I have had watching international RL. How have we let this opportunity slide in only 3 years? We got 67k to Wembley FFS.

You don't open the entire stadium, you open a couple of thousand in the upper deck opposite the camera so customers can buy what they want and see what the demand is.

I realise of course that I may be defyingt the rugby league fans credo of blaming everyone else - the RFL, the media, the refs, rugby union,  the BBC, etc for anything and everything, but I think it just a tad more complex than opening a few thousand seats in the upper deck.  For example, the stadium management may ( or may not) charge the same amount for stewarding, security, cleaning etc for opening one section as opening the entire upper deck.

Edited by JohnM

Four legs good - two legs bad

How have we let this opportunity slide in only 3 years? We got 67k to Wembley FFS.

Ineptitude/incompetence. They'd rather penny pinch rather than invest for the future. 

I realise of course that I may be defyingt the rugby league fans credo of blaming everyone else - the RFL, the media, the refs, rugby union, the BBC, etc for anything and everything, but I think it just a tad more complex than opening a few thousand seats in the upper deck. For example, the stadium management may ( or may not) charge the same amount for stewarding, security, cleaning etc for opening one section as opening the entire upper deck.

If that is the case then I am going to question why the RFL chose a stadium that could only host games in a 25,000 or 57,000 mode.

The OP seems to usually have a lot of flexibility in capacity and it seems ridiculous to not be offering £50 seats because the additional revenue could offset the additional costs if stewarding etc

If that is the case then I am going to question why the RFL chose a stadium that could only host games in a 25,000 or 57,000 mode.

The OP seems to usually have a lot of flexibility in capacity and it seems ridiculous to not be offering £50 seats because the additional revenue could offset the additional costs if stewarding etc

I sincerely hope they are not sitting with fingers crossed hoping we whack the Kiwis and thus provoking a knock on effect? If we lose they can batten down the hatches and save cash.

I really think that not going back to Wembley for the Kiwis showed the level of ambition at the RFL. Even if we had got 45-50k at Wembley it would have been a great atmosphere. We could then have repeated the 2011 double header this time with a view to hitting 60k+. It was all there laid out after 2013.

Despite the deflating last minute defeat, being at Wembley in that 67k crowd was one of the better experiences I have had watching international RL. How have we let this opportunity slide in only 3 years? We got 67k to Wembley FFS.

I've brought several people to internationals over the past few years, a lot have pulled out this year because they hated the atmosphere at OP

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

I've brought several people to internationals over the past few years, a lot have pulled out this year because they hated the atmosphere at OP

I really thought they were looking to build a legacy after last year but no.

They go to Wembley in 2011 and 2013 and get 41k and later 67k - then bin Wembley

They go to OP in 2015 and get 44k then do absolutely nothing to build on this in 2016

The strategy in 2011 should have been let's get 80k+ for a Wembley international within 10 years. It's called legacy and habit building.

I've said it earlier, the players may well get the RFL out of jail here. We will probably get 35k to London and it will be a ###### polishing exercise.

Edited by Scubby