NFL/American Football

2 minutes ago, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

Ginger i dont get it what are the guys running the NFL thinking?

Their next move better be a London team, would earn the sport more respect worldwide in non traditonal gridion lands becoming a bit more international.

Ginger want to have a crack at naming london team ? Im stumped for a nickname. 

Here in OZ American Football is getting more and more popular rightfully so but am disappointed NFL isnt planning on bringing us a game for a long time to come.

There's so few home games per season that the chances of a major team being prepared to lose 1/8 of their regular season means there's always going to be only a few games going abroad.

We've had London Monarchs in the World League.  TBH, if they move Jacksonville they'd be better off keeping the Jaguars name, if only for the chance to get a decent sponsor on board.

I don't know NFL are so obsessed with LA but they are.  It's like MLB had a Washington itch for years but now realises it quite likes Montreal after all.  I don't know the figures but I don't believe the Rams did particularly well for coverage or attendance last year - and I don't get why anybody's going to be excited about the Chargers suddenly being in town.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, gingerjon said:

There's not really a long list of cities lining up to build new stadiums though.  Now that LA and Vegas are taken care of - and I really will need convincing that Vegas is a market worth pursuing - we're presumably at the stage where the next (semi) serious discussion will be Jacksonville to London.  Or maybe Toronto raises its head again.

I support Fulham and the owner also owns Jacksonville Jaguars. I can t see them moving to the Cottage! However I think he has designs on Spurs . The rebuilt stadium would be good for the NFL. 

Baz i didn't know the guy that owns Fulham also owns the Jaguars, learn something new everyday.He'd  be all for Jaguars move to London then.

I read about him few years back from memory is he American /Pakistani?  The owner that is.

Btw we are having our first fully pro American Football League called the NGL starting down here in Oz later this year.

Exciting but only issue with it is that currently there's no Melbourne club yet we have 15 strong clubs playing at state level under the Gridion Victoria banner.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000797082/article/mitchell-trubisky-heads-list-of-most-proready-qb-prospects

Interesting read about the best Quarter Back prospects at the Draft, personally i think that Mitchell Trubisky will be picked up by the New York Jets who are in desperate need of a promising QB.

On 30/03/2017 at 9:21 PM, Mumby Magic said:

It surprises me how many times this has happened and how the English can't adapt or support the moving of a club or franchise. Leeds Rhinos become Exeter Rhinos etc. However they do over the pond. I suppose it's the strength of the franchise too. Would Anchorage Cowboys be supported? Delaware Patriots?

More Rhinos in Anchorage, so maybe Leeds could move there. Delaware would work if people knew where it was.

Surprised the Rhode Island Reds haven't gotten a team yet. Listen to me when I'm talkin' to you.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

Its 110 percent certain Myles Garrett will go to the Clevand Browns as pick 1.

Some good quarter backs in the draft to keep your eyes on are :

Mitchell Trubisky  - Likely destanation is New York Jets

-Patrick Mahomes - 

- Deshaun Watson

On 8 April 2017 at 3:22 AM, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

19 days away from the NFL draft now.

Can't  wait.

I'm not exactly a fan of the NFL or claim to know anything about it but the draft really fascinates me. Am I right in saying that the lowest ranked team in the NFL gets to pick the #1 draft or whoever they want??

56 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

I'm not exactly a fan of the NFL or claim to know anything about it but the draft really fascinates me. Am I right in saying that the lowest ranked team in the NFL gets to pick the #1 draft or whoever they want??

That's correct Walter the lowest ranked team in this case that is the Clevland Browns who only had one win last season get pick 1. 

3 hours ago, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

That's correct Walter the lowest ranked team in this case that is the Clevland Browns who only had one win last season get pick 1. 

Thanks. So how does the draft rankings  for the players work then? Do the college players accumulate points over the season in terms of touchdowns, assists, tackles/blocks, yards gained etc in order to rank them #1 to the lowest number?

sorry about all the questions DDG but like I said before although I'm not a NFL fan I just find the draft and the whole structure of professional American football and college football very interesting.

On 12/04/2017 at 10:06 AM, walter sobchak said:

Thanks. So how does the draft rankings  for the players work then? Do the college players accumulate points over the season in terms of touchdowns, assists, tackles/blocks, yards gained etc in order to rank them #1 to the lowest number?

sorry about all the questions DDG but like I said before although I'm not a NFL fan I just find the draft and the whole structure of professional American football and college football very interesting.

Not sure the players are ranked in the way you mean. The Bottom team literally has first pick at all the players in the draft. 

21 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Not sure the players are ranked in the way you mean. The Bottom team literally has first pick at all the players in the draft. 

I think that you're right but there must be literally hundreds of college football players playing for different colleges and universities both public and private throughout the U.S.

54 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

I think that you're right but there must be literally hundreds of college football players playing for different colleges and universities both public and private throughout the U.S.

Every college player has the chance to put themselves in the draft but if they do I think they have to give up college football. 

50 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Every college player has the chance to put themselves in the draft but if they do I think they have to give up college football. 

The NCAA has amateurism rules that make the RFU of old look like a beacon of even-handedness.

If a player puts themselves forward for a draft then they have lost their amateur status and cannot return to that sport even if they aren't drafted.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 4/12/2017 at 10:06 AM, walter sobchak said:

Clubs have extensive scouting networks plus there is also the 'combine' where potential players are brought together for a week and perform various tests (speed, strength, etc).  Various talking heads/blogs/newspapers will have their own idea of rankings.  

Sometimes a top rating draftee will not get picked in the first few rounds, clubs might not need someone in that position for example.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

However success in College football or the Combine doesn't necessarily translate into a good NFL player.

And visa versa...

..."Poor build, Skinny, Lacks great physical stature and strength, Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush, Lacks a really strong arm, Can’t drive the ball downfield, Does not throw a really tight spiral, System-type player who can get exposed if forced to ad lib, Gets knocked down easily."

Combine Scouting Report on 5× Super Bowl champion, 4× Super Bowl MVP, 1 Pro Bowl selection and definitely future Hall of Famer Tom Brady 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 2:46 PM, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

Btw we are having our first fully pro American Football League called the NGL starting down here in Oz later this year.

National Gullible League? I can't believe people actually watch this rubbish. I used to watch it all the time on Sky/C4, but when I saw the first International game at Wembley (Miami v Jets), I couldn't understand why it was so dull. Everyone ready to go, but the TV was saying "Wait, we still need some more adverts to fit in".

13 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Everyone ready to go, but the TV was saying "Wait, we still need some more adverts to fit in".

That happens in televised rugby league. And, I suspect, football.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

28 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

That happens in televised rugby league. And, I suspect, football.

What? At every play-the-ball?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

21 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

No. Players stood waiting for the signal at the start of a given half.

A given half is one thing, but not during play while the clock is stopped, whenever play is stopped, for example during a try review, Sky don't skip away and have advert breaks, do they?

Archived