Toronto Wolfpack names 18 finalists from “Last Tackle” tryout

Absolutely although I would say you could do with both

yes we could, but the bigger kids who run through everyone, must have a little bit of something extra about then, other than just running through people cause there bigger, cause a lot get caught up in there later teens and turn out to be pretty average, when other kids are as physically big and strong as them.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes we could, but the bigger kids who run through everyone, must have a little bit of something extra about then, other than just running through people cause there bigger, cause a lot get caught up in there later teens and turn out to be pretty average, when other kids are as physically big and strong as them.

What do you think about kids playing according to their weight division rather than their age? It's what they do in NZ and it means even the big kids have to develop some skill to compete.

Players who have progressed through the most rigorous athletic collegiate system and the most difficult professional sporting league in the world to crack are likely to be better athletes than local amateur RL players, with due respect. There are probably less than 1,000 RL players in North America and literally millions trying to make it to the NFL. Guys who come from a relatively low standard of football (low division walk-on college programs) tend to walk into the US national RL team within a year.

I believe Corey Knox also had a tryout with WWE last year, which again requires a ridiculously high standard of athleticism.

There's also next to no drug testing in the NFL or WWE, obviously there will be plenty in RL. Hopefully none of these guys have taken anything and I'm not accusing any of them, I just hope Toronto are being wary before signing any.

I'd like to see Casey Clark and Terrence Williams signed if they go well, as they've played for the U.S. team already.

A good coach should be keeping the big kids aware of the future and that, with the growth spurts that happen, it might not be long before they're physically outmatched by some of the players they'd been bumping out of the way so far.

A lesser coach might just be happy that his big boppers are winning matches for him in the present.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's not always that easy though. Even if they're aware of the need to develop their skills, if their skills aren't challenged sufficiently under pressure (i.e. in matches) it's hard for them to improve. A big kid might have poor tackle technique and conceptually understand why this needs to improve. But if he plays against people half the weight of him, and therefore his poor tackle technique still works, he doesn't get any feedback on his well-executed tackles and his poorly-executed tackles, because the outcome is still the same. 

That's why weight categories are such a tempting idea.

15391193_933188976811362_319357161113432

Last Tackle UK finalist bio features our youngest recruit, British Columbia high school senior Quinn Ngawati. Sharpening his rugby skills with a number of top Canadian U17 programs, Quinn showed up at the Vancouver Last Tackle tryout as a bit of a fun footnote - then proceeded to impress the Wolfpack coaching staff enough to be named one of the 18 UK finalists. Good stuff below on Quinn, especially from his mom, Melissa Ngawati.

Name: Quinn Ngawati
Nickname: N/A
DOB: 15/06/99
Hometown: Victoria BC
Height: 6’4"
Weight: 202lbs
40 time: 5.4sec
Gridiron Experience:
High School - St Michaels University School
College – N/A
Semi-Pro/Pro – N/A
Rugby Experience: Waikato U16, Canadian U17 Wolverines, U17 BC Bulldogs, Canada West Rugby League 
Noteworthy: (courtesy of Quinn’s mom, Melissa Ngawati) Quinn wants to be a pilot and loves flying. He is an avid skier, too. Making the Waikato U16 Provincial rugby team has been his biggest sporting accomplishment up until now. His year away in NZ at Hamilton Boys High School, a school of 2500 boys, was his biggest adventure. I know the rugby training he did at his school was the hardest he has ever done and the most he has learned was from those coaches. He is currently selected to attend the U19 Canada West rugby camp at Shawinigan Lake School in December. They will make the final selection though not until after that camp of course and there will be a tour to the USA at the end of December.

Quinn started at SMUS (St Michaels University School) in 2012 when he was in Grade 8 in hopes of taking advantage of their rugby program. He has loved going to school there and will be graduating this June. This year he was elected as Head of Athletics Council. His favorite school outing was a multi-day sailing trip on the Pacific Grace around the Gulf Islands here in BC. Quinn is an adventurer, willing to go for it and to make the best of every moment.

His favorite week was his trip in November 2014 to Chicago to see the All Blacks play. Quinn was able to have a few photos ops but by far the one that meant the most was his photo with Sonny Bill, his sporting idol.

His girl crush is Shiray Tane who he got to meet last April when the Kiwi women were here for the Women's Victoria International 7s Tournament. Our cousin is Tyla Nathan Wong (on the team as well) so fortunately Quinn had a good in to meet her. We know she is destined for Kaka but does not hurt to have a dream!

THE BEAST

Name: Nathan Campbell
Nickname: The Beast
DOB: 28/11/1987
Hometown: St Elizabeth, Jamaica
Height: 5’11”
Weight: 225lbs
40 time: N/A
Bench: 315lbs (six reps)
Gridiron Experience: None
College – University of Technology, Jamaica
Rugby Experience: Semi-Pro/Pro – National Representative, Australia Mindaribba Warriors, Hurricanes Jamaica, Duhenny Park Red Sharks, Utech Knights, Olympic Angels and Mona Titans, Hurricanes (Second Row), Utech Knights (Full back), National Team (Left Second Row and Prop) and Mona Titans (inside Center and Winger)
Noteworthy: 2015 Jamaica Rugby Player of the Year, 2015 RJR Rugby Player of the Year. Campbell also played basketball player and was a standout track and field athlete

15337474_932239793572947_890004148673661

Name: Terrance Williams

Nickname: Tezza, Smash, T-Sizzle

DOB: 8/12/1993

Hometown: Atlanta

Height: 5’10”

Weight: 205lbs

40 time: 4.56

Bench: 375lbs

Gridiron Experience: Four years high school (North Paulding H.S.), defensive player (nose guard @ 250lbs). H.S. teammate/friend Chris Conley now plays for the Kansas City Chiefs. Played collegiate football at Chattahoochee Technical College, switched to tailback and fullback. Transferred to Georgia Southern University and made the team, limited play.

College: Life University

Rugby Experience: Three years of playing experience. First time playing was at Georgia Southern University. Williams was recruited to play rugby union at Life University (one of the top rugby schools in the nation) and ended up playing one season there before going to Australia to play with the Yass Magpies in the Canberra Raiders Cup. One of two chosen to train and play with/against the Leeds Rhinos in 2014. Capped twice with the USA Hawks and played for the Atlanta Rhinos.

Noteworthy: Williams enjoys literature and the language arts, J.K. Rowling and Mark Twain being his favorite authors. He also loves to cook.

15380469_931614970302096_632895686847349

Today's Last Tackle UK finalist bio features Australia's Matt Walsh. A cagey veteran of the game, Walsh brings not only a solid playing background to the tryouts, but also experience in the coaching aspect of the game as well - making him about as well-rounded of a recruit we found on the Last Tackle tour.

Name: Matt Walsh
Nickname: Sarge
DOB: 2/20/1986...
Hometown: Sydney, Australia
Height: 5’9”
Weight: 180 / 80kgs
40 time: 5.1
Bench: 195 / 90kgs
High School – Marist College Kogarah
College – St. George College
Semi-Pro/Pro – Played Rugby League for South Sydney Junior Rabbitohs as well as contracts in the USA and Ireland. USA Tomahawks & USA Hawks 2012 – 2016, AMNRL MVP 2012
Rugby Experience: USA Olympic Development Academy member, current USA Hawks member, USA Touch Football World Cup development squad, Captain Coach White Plains Wombats Rugby League. Travelled all around the states playing including Hawaii and also Trinidad & Tobago, Canada, Ireland, Netherlands and of course Australia. 

15326455_934115910052002_307956119222884

The players selected from the Last Tackle tryout tour include:

Name Age Hometown

Monte Gaddis 24 Cleveland, Ohio

Casey Clark 26 Missoula, Mont.

Corey Knox 27 Buffalo, N.Y.

Emil Boggren 21 Toronto, Ont.

Tyronie Rowe 28 Kingston, Jamaica

Joe Eichner 25 Geneva, Fla.

Terrance Williams 23 Atlanta

Nathan Campbell 26 St. Elizabeth, Jamaica

Quinn Ngawati 17 Vancouver Island, B.C.

Matt Walsh 30 Sydney, Australia/White Plains, NY

Chad Bain 24 Belleville, Ont.

Antonio Baker 29 Kingston, Jamaica

Sterling Wynn 22 Sanford, Fla.

Marcus Satavu 28 Sigatoka, Fiji/Sunnyvale, Calif.

Andrew Zulauga 23 Tampa, Fla.

Ty Elkins 32 Newberry, S.C.

David Coleman 25 Columbus, Ohio

Kenneth Walker 27 Kingston, Jamaica

I just bloody well love it !

• 5 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

Looks like Monte Gaddis will be coming over to play for Shaw Cross Sharks in the NCL. Not sure how that will work out but great dedication from him to do that.

He has given up the chance to play Arena Football to learn the game properly and see if he can make it.

Like you say if he makes it, he will most like end up with his own netflix originals movie!

I believe he has been flooded with offers of help and good will.  Someone must have paid his flight fare over.

13 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Quinn Ngawiti, Joe Eichner and Nathan Campbell signed as well.

So that's 2 Canadians, 1 American and 1 Jamaican. I did a quick google search on Chad Bain and lots of Canadian news outlets are reporting on him gaining a contract with the Wolfpack. 

I usually go all in when it comes to the expansion of RL only to be let down by the likes of PSG, crusaders, Broncos etc but I have a good feeling that not only could the Wolfpack succeed but they could become the most important expansion club in the history of RL. If and of course it's a big if especially in RL the Wolfpack succeed then it could see the emergence of RL in North America as a credible professional sport.

Archived