Toronto Wolfpack names 18 finalists from “Last Tackle” tryout

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On facebook they are putting out profiles for the players.

15289232_926693337460926_751117501866179

Name: Lamonté Gaddis

Nickname: Monté (Mon-tay)

DOB: 1-24-1992

Hometown: Cleveland, Ohio

Height: 5'11

Weight: 210

40 time: 4.56

Bench: 225 (24x's)

Gridiron Experience:

High School - Cleveland Central Catholic HS (2010) 2x First Team All-Conference & 2x Team MVP (2009 & 2010), Running Back, Safety, Linebacker

College - Towson University All-American Linebacker, Defensive MVP & Captain 2012-2014

Semi-Pro/Pro - Gdynia Seahawks - Polish Football League Champions 2015 (Player/Coach) Linebacker

Iowa Barnstormers- Indoor Football League 2016 (Played 5 games, started 4) Strong Safety

Rugby Experience: Roses Rugby Football Club (Lancaster, PA)

Noteworthy: Monté is a high school football coach, mentor & personal trainer in Cleveland, Ohio. In his freshman year of college football he walked-on at the University of Maryland, transferred, and went on to win two college bowl games, national FCS runner-up and has a championship in Europe. Monté lives by the motto of Wake Hustle Grind. All social networks are @montegaddis

Today's Last Tackle UK finalist bio, former Buffalo Bills fullback Corey Knox.

Name: Corey Knox
Nickname: Fort Knox or Hard Knox
DOB: 10/13/1989...
Hometown: Buffalo, N.Y.
Height: 6’-3”
Weight: 245lbs
40 time: 4.6
Bench: 225lbs (x 34 reps)
Squat: 655lbs
Deadlift: 645lbs
Shuttle Run: 4.12
Broad Jump: 10’
Vertical Jump: 37”
Box Jump: 55”
Gridiron Experience:
High School – John F. Kennedy H.S., Buffalo. 2007 Male Athlete of the Year. 5th place state finals in the discus. Western New York High School All-Star Game defensive captain.
College – Two-sport Div. 1 athlete (University of Buffalo football/track and field). Blocked for Branden Oliver (San Diego Chargers) in 2011 at UB when he broke two school rushing records and a TD record. NCAA round 1 national qualifier in the shot put and discus throws.
Semi-Pro/Pro – Buffalo Bills fullback, 2015
Rugby Experience: New to the sport.

15337538_927380147392245_142375267915132

Cory Knox's stats are hugely impressive. Not sure anyone in SL could put up numbers like that.

Stats mean nothing if you can't pass and catch a ball.

Hopefully the lad from Toronto gets a gig, it would be good to have a couple of local boys involved from the start. Also good to see a few Jamaicans on the list. The game seems to be doing well over there.

Have to agree about the Jamaicans

American football players don't need to train fitness anywhere near as much, so of course they're stronger/faster. Plus, beyond a point there is very limited transfer from being strong into being powerful - players don't need to put up numbers like that (with the lifts at least). 

They don't, but as a coach if I had Usain Bolt and someone who could catch a ball both turn up to my training session, I'd fancy my chances of teaching Usain Bolt to catch a ball more than I'd fancy teaching the other guy to run as fast as Usain Bolt. 

You only have to a passing involvement with amateur Rugby League to know the Rugby League Academies are more interested in what a player looks like.  Rather than how they play.

So I dont think looking at football talent in America and cross training them is that radical a step.

A lot of it will depend on the players mental agility and desire to watch and learn Rugby League.

You only have to a passing involvement with amateur Rugby League to know the Rugby League Academies are more interested in what a player looks like. Rather than how they play.

So I dont think looking at football talent in America and cross training them is that radical a step.

A lot of it will depend on the players mental agility and desire to watch and learn Rugby League.

no point scouts watching amatuer rugby then. Might aswell go down gym to scout em.

American football players don't need to train fitness anywhere near as much, so of course they're stronger/faster. Plus, beyond a point there is very limited transfer from being strong into being powerful - players don't need to put up numbers like that (with the lifts at least).

They don't, but as a coach if I had Usain Bolt and someone who could catch a ball both turn up to my training session, I'd fancy my chances of teaching Usain Bolt to catch a ball more than I'd fancy teaching the other guy to run as fast as Usain Bolt.

if you asked usain bolt to run into a couple of 18st forrads, he'd probably tell you to #### off.

The skill levels in the sport are higher than they have ever been before. Modern players are far more skillful than their counterparts of yesteryear.

I know we are getting off the Toronto topic a little but I completely agree with this.

I have been watching Rugby League since the early 80's and I thoroughly enjoy watching all the videos I can find from earlier eras.

When I see some of handling in today's game and watch back row forwards throw cut out passes that stand off's could only dream of I cannot understand why people can't see that the game is so much more skilful now.

I am not saying it is necessarily better of course.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

You only have to a passing involvement with amateur Rugby League to know the Rugby League Academies are more interested in what a player looks like.  Rather than how they play.

To be fair its the same in Union - two players of equal ability, 1 that's 5,7, the other that's 6,5, they pick the big lad every day of the week.

I know we are getting off the Toronto topic a little but I completely agree with this.

I have been watching Rugby League since the early 80's and I thoroughly enjoy watching all the videos I can find from earlier eras.

When I see some of handling in today's game and watch back row forwards throw cut out passes that stand off's could only dream of I cannot understand why people can't see that the game is so much more skilful now.

I genuinely think RL is taken for granted how good it is in its heartlands.

There's a lot in what you say Dunbar, but I think that a lot of skills and techniques have disappeared from the game too. That needs another thread.

Toronto have found ways to stir up interest before they've even played a game and that has to be applauded. Whether or not they'll find a gem remains to be seen. It's not as though they're not showing due diligence here, is it?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Florida's Sterling Wynn.

With both gridiron (H.S. & college) and rugby experience, combined with impressive size and speed, Wynn was one of the standout players out at the Tampa tryout.

Name: Sterling Wynn
Nickname: Sterlo
DOB: 4/1/1994
Hometown: Sanford, Fla.
Height: 6'2”
Weight: 195lbs
40 time: 4.54
Bench: 225 (five reps)
Gridiron Experience: Three years of high school football and one year of College (wide receiver in both college and high school, linebacker as well in high school).
High School: Pine Ridge High School, three-year starter. Also ran a leg on the regional champion, state-qualifying 4x100 sprint relay team. 
College: Edward Waters College wide receiver.
Semi-Pro/Pro: Central Florida Warriors, two years at fullback, Daytona Coconuts Fly Half/ Fullback
Rugby Experience: Five years of Union and three years of League (one year in Australia).
Noteworthy: Scored 12 tries in first season in Australia and finished in the top ten in scoring. Wynn has played with the US Hawks (twice vs Leeds Rhinos), made the Florida Juice Rugby Team during first year of play (Florida National High School team). Played with Daniel and Steve Howard of the US World Cup Team, coached by Robin Peers.

15241839_927987953998131_636469334211298

Toronto's own Emil Borggren. Rugby and gridiron skills impressed the Wolfpack coaching staff, extensive MMA/boxing background added to the toughness factor.

Name: Emil Borggren
Nickname: Emilio
DOB: 10/10/1995
Hometown: Toronto
Height: 5’9”
Weight: 180lbs
40 time: 4.8
Bench: 275lbs (max)
Gridiron Experience: 8 years (Union), 2 years (League)
High School – North Toronto Collegiate Institute (2009-2012), 2012 Senior Athlete of the Year
College – Ryerson University (Current)
Semi-Pro/Pro – Rugby Ontario Jr. Blues U16-U18; Rugby Ontario Jr. Blues U18 7’s
Rugby Experience: Toronto Nomads RFC U16-U18; Copenhagen RLFC; DTU Exiles Varsity Men’s Rugby; Roskilde Vikings RFC; Ontario Summer Games Toronto Rugby 7’s; Western Varsity Men’s Rugby; Danish Men’s National Rugby League
Noteworthy: Family Background in Martial Arts/Boxing. Boxing background (10 years), Football background (4 years, N.T.C.I Football MVP 2012)

15232148_928931590570434_813629975806509

Toronto's own Emil Borggren. Rugby and gridiron skills impressed the Wolfpack coaching staff, extensive MMA/boxing background added to the toughness factor.

Name: Emil Borggren

Nickname: Emilio

DOB: 10/10/1995

Hometown: Toronto

Height: 5’9”

Weight: 180lbs

40 time: 4.8

Bench: 275lbs (max)

Gridiron Experience: 8 years (Union), 2 years (League)

High School – North Toronto Collegiate Institute (2009-2012), 2012 Senior Athlete of the Year

College – Ryerson University (Current)

Semi-Pro/Pro – Rugby Ontario Jr. Blues U16-U18; Rugby Ontario Jr. Blues U18 7’s

Rugby Experience: Toronto Nomads RFC U16-U18; Copenhagen RLFC; DTU Exiles Varsity Men’s Rugby; Roskilde Vikings RFC; Ontario Summer Games Toronto Rugby 7’s; Western Varsity Men’s Rugby; Danish Men’s National Rugby League

Noteworthy: Family Background in Martial Arts/Boxing. Boxing background (10 years), Football background (4 years, N.T.C.I Football MVP 2012)

15232148_928931590570434_813629975806509

Toronto could well be signing an international!

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Sterling Wynn and Emil Borggren both seem likely candidates and I did wonder if there was just one contract or whether it was if more are good enough sign them?

Don't mention Emil's turn out in Denmark or we'll have people on here shouting  "plastic Dane!" ;)

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Sterling Wynn and Emil Borggren both seem likely candidates and I did wonder if there was just one contract or whether it was if more are good enough sign them?

Don't mention Emil's turn out in Denmark or we'll have people on here shouting  "plastic Dane!" ;)

I am calling him a plastic Canuck

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

You only have to a passing involvement with amateur Rugby League to know the Rugby League Academies are more interested in what a player looks like. Rather than how they play.

thats why were ##### at international level. Been watching my lad play u8s at fev lions all season, theres a thousand big kids who can get the ball and run through everybody out there, bumped into 1 kid for siddal, who got ball and spotted lad on wing and executed a 20 yard pass straight into kids bread basket for him to score in corner,to have the vision to try that pass at 7/8 year old, never mind execute it perfectly is unbelievable. There the kids we need to be looking at, not the kids with a decent rig who we train to play like robots. Showed against the kiwis, they were there for the taking, but we didnt have anyone who can do something off the cuff and break the defence down.

Or as it is known in Danish language "Lego"

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

thats why were ##### at international level. Been watching my lad play u8s at fev lions all season, theres a thousand big kids who can get the ball and run through everybody out there, bumped into 1 kid for siddal, who got ball and spotted lad on wing and executed a 20 yard pass straight into kids bread basket for him to score in corner,to have the vision to try that pass at 7/8 year old, never mind execute it perfectly is unbelievable. There the kids we need to be looking at, not the kids with a decent rig who we train to play like robots. Showed against the kiwis, they were there for the taking, but we didnt have anyone who can do something off the cuff and break the defence down.

Absolutely although I would say you could do with both

Archived