Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Saint Toppy

Our new position in the EU

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, AlexHaldane said:

Check any UK economy stats.

I have and I looked at the 10 year average against the dollar and to my untrained eye it doesn't look overvalued.  So skip the soundbytes and lets see what stats it is in particular that draw you to your conclusions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlexHaldane said:

Absolutely right. The £ was over inflated by the markets and not based in reality.

It hit domestic purchasing power, but this was offset on a macro scale by the commensurate increase in demand from currencies that gained buying power.

There has been no real effect of the fall. The CPI & RPI aren't rampant, there's been no QE and the consumer debt time bomb hasn't detonated.

Now ask Greece, Italy, Spain, Slovakia, Ireland and many other EU states how they are doing with the Euro.

Really?

How come I'm 15 - 20% worse off compared to a year ago? In my world, I'm suffering the direct consequences of first, the announcement of the referendum date, and second, the referendum vote.

As someone else suggested, you should check your facts first.

 


Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Really?

How come I'm 15 - 20% worse off compared to a year ago? In my world, I'm suffering the direct consequences of first, the announcement of the referendum date, and second, the referendum vote.

As someone else suggested, you should check your facts first.

 

How are you 15 -20% worse off when inflation isn't running at that level?

The only real price increase has been fuel, and that is nothing to do with Brexit.

Edited by AlexHaldane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in Greece. I transfer my UK pension to my Greek bank monthly. I now get 15 - 20 % less than a year ago.

And I am not happy that a small majority of UK voters have chosen to shoot themselves in my foot.

 


Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Griff9of13 said:

So you earn less than £9,999 a year? :unsure:

No but if someone asked me, I wouldn't say 'tens of thousands'. As for lost income, I earn significantly less than I did 10 years ago due to the internet. Not to mention the thousands of redundancies in printing. Everyone here uses the internet so I blame you all for me losing loads of cash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

I live in Greece. I transfer my UK pension to my Greek bank monthly. I now get 15 - 20 % less than a year ago.

And I am not happy that a small majority of UK voters have chosen to shoot themselves in my foot.

 

There hasn't been that sort of fluctuation in the Sterling/Euro exchange rate.

Perhaps the mess Greece is in is the contributory factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AlexHaldane said:

The only real price increase has been fuel, and that is nothing to do with Brexit.

Utter and total bobbins.

In our shop we've seen 15 to 25% across the board from all suppliers, some individual products more than that, then there's tech firms, Apple prices up 25%, anyone jumping ship at the thought of that, come the time of needing new kit best look away from Microsoft, speaking of Microsoft the cost of there software and services up as well.

Then there's those products that have shrunk!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brexit will be a success.  How?  Its simple, just ignore any downsides and voila!  A massive success!

  • Like 3

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AlexHaldane said:

There hasn't been that sort of fluctuation in the Sterling/Euro exchange rate. Oh yes, there has!

Perhaps the mess Greece is in is the contributory factor. This has nothing to do with Greece's "mess", it is simply down to exchange rate changes due to the brexit referendum.

You have been given one reference for historic exchange rate data. You could also try http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=EUR&view=10Y That will give you ten years' worth of data.

 


Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, shrek said:

Utter and total bobbins.

In our shop we've seen 15 to 25% across the board from all suppliers, some individual products more than that, then there's tech firms, Apple prices up 25%, anyone jumping ship at the thought of that, come the time of needing new kit best look away from Microsoft, speaking of Microsoft the cost of there software and services up as well.

Then there's those products that have shrunk!

 

The cost of living is measured by CPI and RPI. These have not altered by the exchange rate fluctuation.

British consumers may well be able to buy less for the same amount of money in dollar terms ég 20% fewer dollars per £ for that trip to Florida.

Apple & Microsoft are simply screwing consumers.  How can a stronger dollar lead to price hikes, when products are made in countries like China, which itself enjoyed a near 10% rise in value against Sterling.

Corporate greed under the guise of Brexit.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AlexHaldane said:

The cost of living is measured by CPI and RPI. These have not altered by the exchange rate fluctuation.

 

 

 

 

LOL - and in the real world....................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

You have been given one reference for historic exchange rate data. You could also try http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=EUR&view=10Y That will give you ten years' worth of data.

 

Currently half of what you said it was. What is the inflation rate in Greece? Are you seriously saying domestic inflation does not affect the cost of living?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, shrek said:

LOL - and in the real world....................

So you agree Ape etc are simply ripping consumers off.

If your suppliers trade in £'s and buy their products in dollars, they will get less for the same. 

So Brexit has seen a rise in UK interest rates andinflation figures are wrong?

Plenty of ONS data out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only more expensive if you buy things in kilograms.

Pounds n ounces are still the same.

Roll out the barrel, roll out the barrel of fun.....

  • Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, AlexHaldane said:

Corporate greed under the guise of Brexit.

So the prices have gone up then?

You seem to say a lot of words to avoid saying that somethings have actually got more expensive.


With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AlexHaldane said:

So you agree Ape etc are simply ripping consumers off.

If your suppliers trade in £'s and buy their products in dollars, they will get less for the same. 

So Brexit has seen a rise in UK interest rates andinflation figures are wrong?

Plenty of ONS data out there.

Whilst I understand how the inflation figure is calculated, my day to day experience is that my prices are going up far in excess of the inflation figures quoted, even my locally sourced veg box has gone up by 8% and Tony the veg man is no rip off merchant!

And I'm not sure who "Ape" are so wouldn't like to say what there ripping off!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, AlexHaldane said:

The cost of living is measured by CPI and RPI. These have not altered by the exchange rate fluctuation.

British consumers may well be able to buy less for the same amount of money in dollar terms ég 20% fewer dollars per £ for that trip to Florida.

Apple & Microsoft are simply screwing consumers.  How can a stronger dollar lead to price hikes, when products are made in countries like China, which itself enjoyed a near 10% rise in value against Sterling.

Corporate greed under the guise of Brexit.

Either you're trolling, which I strongly suspect, or you're missing something.

If I sell something at US$100 then I want $100.  If that costs YOU more because YOU have to turn a weaker £ into $ then that's not my problem.  Why should I reduce my prices because your government dragged you into a plan of action that caused your currency to tank?

  • Like 2

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bedford Roughyed said:

You seem to say a lot of words to avoid saying that somethings have actually got more expensive.

I believe that is the nail hit well and truly on the head!  Still waiting for him to provide those stats to show the £ was over inflated, lots of words, no substance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ckn said:

Either you're trolling, which I strongly suspect, or you're missing something.

If I sell something at US$100 then I want $100.  If that costs YOU more because YOU have to turn a weaker £ into $ then that's not my problem.  Why should I reduce my prices because your government dragged you into a plan of action that caused your currency to tank?

That is not what Apple & Microsoft are doing.

They are increasing their purchase price to UK consumers, on top of UK consumers buying power for dollar products falling.

It is a double hit.

Sterling has taken a drop, but it also brings benefits.

How is pointing out that they are ripping customers off trolling?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The UK£:US$ currency trading history shows that the lowest the UK£ had gone in the last 8 years PRIOR to the referendum verdict was £1:$1.44550 on 28th May 2010 when the markets were still a bit flaky over the Coalition government.  It's mean average over the period of May 2010 to May 2015 was $1.55 and slowly went DOWN to the low $1.40s as the referendum ramped up.  The pre-referendum "spike" was actually just a minor blip still in the lowest 5% of prices in the mid-term 8 year history.


“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

So the prices have gone up then?

You seem to say a lot of words to avoid saying that somethings have actually got more expensive.

No argument from me that a lower £ makes dollar goods more expensive.

Total rejection of the suggestion that a weaker £ means the likes of Apple & Microsoft have to increaseretail.prices & Brexit is blamed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AlexHaldane said:

That is not what Apple & Microsoft are doing.

They are increasing their purchase price to UK consumers, on top of UK consumers buying power for dollar products falling.

It is a double hit.

Sterling has taken a drop, but it also brings benefits.

How is pointing out that they are ripping customers off trolling?

 

Yes, they are increasing their prices, they're a US$ trading company, the UK£ goes down in relation to the US$, the UK£ prices go up..  Why should they take a profit hit because we tanked our economy?


“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ckn said:

The UK£:US$ currency trading history shows that the lowest the UK£ had gone in the last 8 years PRIOR to the referendum verdict was £1:$1.44550 on 28th May 2010 when the markets were still a bit flaky over the Coalition government.  It's mean average over the period of May 2010 to May 2015 was $1.55 and slowly went DOWN to the low $1.40s as the referendum ramped up.  The pre-referendum "spike" was actually just a minor blip still in the lowest 5% of prices in the mid-term 8 year history.

Your point is what?

Blame Brexit, but no emanation of what has actually changed to cause this fall. 

The £ at one time could buy $2.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AlexHaldane said:

Your point is what?

Blame Brexit, but no emanation of what has actually changed to cause this fall. 

The £ at one time could buy $2.

 

Really.  So, the big downward spike on the day after the referendum wasn't Brexit?  The long-term stable £1:$1.55 mean average going down to $1.40-$1.44 between the Tory majority win and a promise of a referendum wasn't to do with Brexit nerves?  How else do you explain those two facts?

Can I suggest you pick an argument line next time where you end up not looking quite so silly?


“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ckn said:

Yes, they are increasing their prices, they're a US$ trading company, the UK£ goes down in relation to the US$, the UK£ prices go up..  Why should they take a profit hit because we tanked our economy?

You seem incapable of distinguishing between the two.

Input prices for Apple & Microsoft have not changed. Therefore why increase your prices.

Yes, their products become more expensive to UK consumers, so it takes more £ to buy the same amount.

They may possibly sell fewer units in the UK due to a weaker £. Though this equally may not be the case.

A price increase when your factor inputs don't increase and you are selling into a weaker currency is corporate rip off tactics.

Surprises me that they are being defended, such is the power of brand loyalty.

Have European car makers put their prices up?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...