RFL Patron At Pre-Twickers Training Session Shock

Just seen Prince Harry schmoozing with hulking 5-minutes-for-each-scrum types on Sky.  Could have been in an executive box at Leigh Sports Village with Marwan and Derek whilst troughing red wine on live TV.  Whilst there, he could have learned about the play-the-ball rule, which seemed to elude his equally-intellectually-challenged grandad, despite several Challenge Cup Final freebies.

RFU patron attends RU PR event, prior to RU international. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, CmonTheBorough said:

Just seen Prince Harry schmoozing with hulking 5-minutes-for-each-scrum types on Sky.  Could have been in an executive box at Leigh Sports Village with Marwan and Derek whilst troughing red wine on live TV.  Whilst there, he could have learned about the play-the-ball rule, which seemed to elude his equally-intellectually-challenged grandad, despite several Challenge Cup Final freebies.

Oh Dear.........Oh very dear. Not chippy in the slightest.....honest!

6 hours ago, CmonTheBorough said:

You know why that might be, don't you? And do you know why he wasnt at Leigh instead, like you were?

Has it says in the good book "let those without sin cast the first stone" a sentence designed for hypocrites.

If the two castigated want a scoop while watching their sport what of it, millions do so every week, I think they have paid for the privilege to do it.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

11 hours ago, CmonTheBorough said:

Was he invited?

37 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Was he invited?

He says he won't attend until the sport gets back to 5m retirement at proper ptb's, less subs and proper scrums. And playing in winter on mud bath pitches at open terrace grounds.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Just now, Manx RL said:

He says he won't attend until the sport gets back to 5m retirement at proper ptb's, less subs and proper scrums. And playing in winter on mud bath pitches at open terrace grounds.

He's definitely already an RL fan then. ;)

7 hours ago, nonbelievers said:

Oh Dear.........Oh very dear. Not chippy in the slightest.....honest!

You see stating facts and giving your opinion are only chippy if they say something you disagree with, it's an old charter!

What a shame to see RL fans peddling this kind of nonsense! Mind you they'll never feel lonely.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

5 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Good point maybe he should be invited to something like a Wigan v Saints game

Just a thought: I think it's a tad more complicated than that. In my view it's a matter of our people and his people getting together to discuss the role and responsibility of Patron,  agreeing, building and executing a plan.

5 hours ago, Oxford said:

You see stating facts and giving your opinion are only chippy if they say something you disagree with, it's an old charter!

What a shame to see RL fans peddling this kind of nonsense! Mind you they'll never feel lonely.

No.....it's perfectly normal for him to be seen at a Union event, given he has made no secret of his support for England RU. What would be disappointing would be if he was invited to a RL event and didn't attend due to his preconception, which is what you and your ilk seem to dine out on. It's not like the head of the RFL was seen at a game sporting a Union scarf now is it.......or is that excusable and you believe it's better that you don't trust the ginger fellas intentions?

5 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Good point maybe he should be invited to something like a Wigan v Saints game

Oh, you know how that sort of thing escalates on this forum.

1. I don't know; has he been invited?

2. I haven't been contacted personally to confirm that he has been invited.

3. From that, I assume that he hasn't been invited and never will be.

4. Now I am certain, without checking to find out, that he definitely hasn't been invited.

5. Thunderous and intemperate fury, with a generous dollop of class war assumptions, culminating in yet another call for Nigel Wood to be defenestrated.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 minutes ago, nonbelievers said:

No.....it's perfectly normal for him to be seen at a Union event, given he has made no secret of his support for England RU. What would be disappointing would be if he was invited to a RL event and didn't attend due to his preconception, which is what you and your ilk seem to dine out on. It's not like the head of the RFL was seen at a game sporting a Union scarf now is it.......or is that excusable and you believe it's better that you don't trust the ginger fellas intentions?

Yes it's perfectly normal, no it wasn't a secret. And yes that would be disappointing, but the RFL wouldn't reveal that they had and he hadn't. And no it's not like the head of the RFL was seen there. But what point are you actually making?

".you and your ilk...." My oh my! By all means keep giving the game away.

I've made no secret of my distrust of royalty when it comes to RL nor my wish that it all works out and he does make the effort.

And then again you've made no secret about the way you feel either.

Having a point of view doesn't make someone what you insist on ascribing to them, even when it's not one you share. As I said you'll never be lonely.

As far as I understand it this was a bit of a tongue in cheek thread. It made me laugh but didn't make me want to burn HRH at the stake. It simply fitted in with what I expect from a descendant of Charles I, no more no less and nothing to get excited about.

3 hours ago, Oxford said:

As far as I understand it this was a bit of a tongue in cheek thread. It made me laugh but didn't make me want to burn HRH at the stake. It simply fitted in with what I expect from a descendant of Charles I, no more no less and nothing to get excited about.

I haven't checked this, Oxford, and you may well be right, but is he really a descendant of Charles I?  I thought there were one or two, er, dynastic hiccups after that, which somewhat broke the line!

4 hours ago, JohnM said:

Just a thought: I think it's a tad more complicated than that. In my view it's a matter of our people and his people getting together to discuss the role and responsibility of Patron,  agreeing, building and executing a plan.

Agreed, JohnM, as I have noted before on other threads.  If there is no obvious way in to him - though if you just ask, that will probably be fine - could we not use the family of Lord Derby, who I believe are close to the royal family, as a way in.  I have also made the point on other threads that the smart thing would be to suggest something dear to Harry's heart, such as using RL to help disadvantaged African youngsters to increase their self confidence and develop their personal skills; his mother would really have liked that!

3 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I haven't checked this, Oxford, and you may well be right, but is he really a descendant of Charles I?  I thought there were one or two, er, dynastic hiccups after that, which somewhat broke the line!

The queen has claims to being a descendant of William the Conqueror so he must be! If he isn't as my Dad used to say "The lodger must have had it in for him!"

Am I the only one who finds this whole topic/thread belongs in a different dimension?

So Harry, who has played and supported RU his whole life has agreed to be patron of RL and some people think he should instantly stop any contact with RU  and only attend RL matches?

Can anyone tell me what RU team he supports or when he has went to AP game? Yes he shows up to support England at the six nations, yes he has supported a youth RU thing, but to expect him to rack up every week in Wigan/Leeds/Hull and ignore RU is fantasy!

He is patron of over 100 things, invite him to the challenge cup, invite him to England games  and be happy if he accepts 1 invite on every 10.  He can be good for this sport but he is not a Messiah!

And before someone talks about paying for him, Harry receives nothing from the tax payer- he inherited money from Diana and Prince Charles pays for him and William from the Duchy of Cornwall estate. HM Government only pays their expenses when they are on a visit requested by the government.

5 hours ago, kiyan said:

Am I the only one who finds this whole topic/thread belongs in a different dimension?

So Harry, who has played and supported RU his whole life has agreed to be patron of RL and some people think he should instantly stop any contact with RU  and only attend RL matches?

Can anyone tell me what RU team he supports or when he has went to AP game? Yes he shows up to support England at the six nations, yes he has supported a youth RU thing, but to expect him to rack up every week in Wigan/Leeds/Hull and ignore RU is fantasy!

He is patron of over 100 things, invite him to the challenge cup, invite him to England games  and be happy if he accepts 1 invite on every 10.  He can be good for this sport but he is not a Messiah!

And before someone talks about paying for him, Harry receives nothing from the tax payer- he inherited money from Diana and Prince Charles pays for him and William from the Duchy of Cornwall estate. HM Government only pays their expenses when they are on a visit requested by the government.

As I said Kiyan it seemed to be a bit of fun as a thread.

It turns into an argument about will he do anything for RL because those that think he won't are being potrayed on here as Northern Oiks with a chip on their shoulders in the best tradtion of keeping people quiet when they don't agree with us mode.

I'm not sure you're accurate in your sources of income argument but that is a red herring if ever there was one and is much more suitable for a republican debate than an RL one.

He could be good for this sport and people keep arguing he will be. It's all a bit like seeing Chris Evans at the Wolves defeat of the Broncos if you don't make something of that that's your fault but at the same time anyone who moans on behalf of TGG is given the rounds of the kitchen by that same personality. Now is RL the game he jumped up and down about or is it the sport that's not allowed to moan when things seem wrong? The simple answer is it's both, but if we're not permitted to disagree and must keep quiet for fear of being labelled trouble makers then what will happen is whatever those who don't care about our sport want it to be, and there is little point in any of us posting on a forum at all.

He is the patron of our sport

That requires some degree of 'patronisation' on his part - he needs to show an interest and not wait until he is asked, cap in hand, to attend - otherwise why be a patron and ignore the sport - it is a privilege to be asked after all its not a hereditary right

I accept that we don't know if there has been any discussion with him about publicly supporting the sport but the WCC match at the very least gives him an ideal opportunity to at least turn up and have a free pie if nothing else - it might open his eyes a bit and raise his profile amongst his own people which would be a good thing n many ways - one area of growth since 2010 has been the rise in junior players nationally, something Harry should be looking at perhaps - give him a Sky Try vest!

How about bringing the long time union apologist Chris Evans with him too - last night he was dressed in Morans finest garb and was actually celebrating in a way which suggests he hasn't had much to celebrate recently! - brought a smile to my face :-) good for him

I recall Evans repeatedly dissing league when there were players and coaches on his programmes trying to promote SL over the years - regular comments such as 'its not real rugby though is it' - so its quite surprising to see him enjoying the match - maybe Harry would too if he could shake the stardust from his eyes and be the patron we actually deserve and need

And I appreciate -  we should try and be positive about the appointment but that's starts with engagement - that happens he gets my support, it doesn't so what - another wasted opportunity when we could have a national figure helping the sport rather than helping its natural opposition which cannot sadly be overlooked

We don't have enough clout as it is for a number of very good reasons, why allow the appointment of a dead duck to a post that needs real positivity and energy bringing to it - its not good business sense at all and that's what patronisation is about - gaining an advantage and prestige - Harry needs to realise he is expected to help and protect

We get that, great, we don't, waste of time and embarrassing at worst!

Archived