Offer to Wakefield Trinity

Maureen T-k

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think that changing the name this year back to Trinity rather than Wildcats was to alert Wakefield cc to the heritage of Wakefield Trinity and that by threatening to leave the city might give them more chance of a new stadium.Trinity have been playing at Belle Vue since 1892 and developed it from Athletics and Cricket to a proper football ground in1898 but at this time the rugby ground still had a cycle track running round it.The first match on the NEW ground was against Halifax who won 13-0.So after 120 odd years it's no wonder the ground is worn out.What other sporting event gives Wakefield the exposure that a Super League place does they are the biggest city in England not to have a football team.And Sir Rodney Walker pulling out of his support for the Newmarket site.Just think on he did used to be a used car salesman.I wish Wakey well and hope they can fulfill their dream of a new home one way or another.

2 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Do you think that changing the name this year back to Trinity rather than Wildcats was to alert Wakefield cc to the heritage of Wakefield Trinity and that by threatening to leave the city might give them more chance of a new stadium.Trinity have been playing at Belle Vue since 1892 and developed it from Athletics and Cricket to a proper football ground in1898 but at this time the rugby ground still had a cycle track running round it.The first match on the NEW ground was against Halifax who won 13-0.So after 120 odd years it's no wonder the ground is worn out.What other sporting event gives Wakefield the exposure that a Super League place does they are the biggest city in England not to have a football team.And Sir Rodney Walker pulling out of his support for the Newmarket site.Just think on he did used to be a used car salesman.I wish Wakey well and hope they can fulfill their dream of a new home one way or another.

I do not believe for one moment that WMDC give two hoots about the rugby team. Unfortunately the club has been engulfed in controversy for many, many years. Even when they had one of the top teams in the country and the winners of many cup finals. the finances which were accrued were not reinvested into the buildings and the overall maintenance of the ground, as witness the present state of affairs. I think that if they do move out of the area, they will be cast adrift by WMDC who will be most happy to be relieved of the pressures of the Newmarket deal

There is some talk about Wakefield selling their franchise which I understand they are entitled to do. Does that mean that if it is sold, say for instance to Coventry, that Coventry will be admitte3d because of that sale straight into SL? Or am I misreading the information? 

In today's RL Express the Trinity Chairman is said to be looking for £10 million to develop a stadium at Stanley called the Newmarket project. Wouldn't less than that bring the existing ground up to SL standards? There is also a comment that they might play their 2018 games at Dewsbury. Surely Dewsbury's ground is also not up to SL standards? They have played at Belle View for donkey's years why aren't they looking at upgrading that stadium if they want £10 million to build a new one. A much easier option in my view.

3 hours ago, jamescolin said:

In today's RL Express the Trinity Chairman is said to be looking for £10 million to develop a stadium at Stanley called the Newmarket project. Wouldn't less than that bring the existing ground up to SL standards? There is also a comment that they might play their 2018 games at Dewsbury. Surely Dewsbury's ground is also not up to SL standards? They have played at Belle View for donkey's years why aren't they looking at upgrading that stadium if they want £10 million to build a new one. A much easier option in my view.

You couldn't "upgrade" the East Stand, which is the main stand there, the only option would be to replace it at huge cost. Michael Carter went on the Trinity forum and pretty much answered this, he was quoting figures to bring the ground up to SL standards and to replace the clearly unusable East Stand with a SL-standard one to include corporate hospitality etc he suggested a figure of £7m, and they still wouldn't actually own the ground.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I think the phrase "throwing good money after bad" is the only way to describe trying to do up Belle Vue. Well, I can think of another one, but it would breach forum guidelines.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I think the phrase "throwing good money after bad" is the only way to describe trying to do up Belle Vue. Well, I can think of another one, but it would breach forum guidelines.

"throwing good money after bad" would infer that they have already thrown some money at it

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 4:56 PM, saddleworth said:

I do not believe for one moment that WMDC give two hoots about the rugby team. Unfortunately the club has been engulfed in controversy for many, many years. Even when they had one of the top teams in the country and the winners of many cup finals. the finances which were accrued were not reinvested into the buildings and the overall maintenance of the ground, as witness the present state of affairs. I think that if they do move out of the area, they will be cast adrift by WMDC who will be most happy to be relieved of the pressures of the Newmarket deal

It's two thirds of the electorate that don't give a hoot, most of the eastern side of the district. Biggest mistake they ever made was calling it Wakefield MDC. Did Kirklees call themselves Huddersfield MDC or Halton call themselves Widnes? The way the name Kirklees was chosen seems to be a fair method of naming the district, or they could have gone for something like Osbrigg after the Wapentakes of Osgoldcross and Agbrigg? It would have avoided any assumption of favouritism toward the west of the district. 

51 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

It's two thirds of the electorate that don't give a hoot, most of the eastern side of the district. Biggest mistake they ever made was calling it Wakefield MDC. Did Kirklees call themselves Huddersfield MDC or Halton call themselves Widnes? The way the name Kirklees was chosen seems to be a fair method of naming the district, or they could have gone for something like Osbrigg after the Wapentakes of Osgoldcross and Agbrigg? It would have avoided any assumption of favouritism toward the west of the district. 

Kirklees was named after Kirklees Hall, which is located in Calderdale. ???

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

29 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Kirklees was named after Kirklees Hall, which is located in Calderdale. ???

Yes I know, but Kirklees adopted the name because of the association with Robin Hood. They were also considering "Brigantia" after the ancient Celtic tribe before that.

Archived