Referees decisions a disgrace - Durham

17 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Wasn't this thread originally about Hull FC getting all the bad decisions? So how come another club's fans have decided it is all about them?

I had to look up who this Durham guy is then realised that the point of this thread and another thread in the general topic section,is for lee f to dish out likes every time somebody says something negative about leigh, glad you aren't american lee, because you sure are trigger happy, peace from the pack! ❤️

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Spidey said:

People would take more notice if it was less of a rant, and less sour grapes. As such it should and will be ignored

Seems it isn't being ignored on here though!

On the point of Cummins.  Sundays game, where the ball was deemed knocked out of Gales hands by the defender.  Cummins said, Gale has a responsibility to keep control of the ball, to which Barry M quickly commented, ' no way Stuart, the defender clearly went for the ball and it's a penalty to Cas'.  Cummins - 'oh, ok then, yes it is a penalty'.  

56 minutes ago, Donspaghetti said:

I had to look up who this Durham guy is then realised that the point of this thread and another thread in the general topic section,is for lee f to dish out likes every time somebody says something negative about leigh, glad you aren't american lee, because you sure are trigger happy, peace from the pack! ❤️

No likes are issued when other posters point out the logic defying comments of certain Leigh fans with regards to the referees conspiracy against them

1 hour ago, LeeF said:

No likes are issued when other posters point out the logic defying comments of certain Leigh fans with regards to the referees conspiracy against them

Funny that it was you that 1 st mentioned Leigh on this thread 

19 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Wasn't this thread originally about Hull FC getting all the bad decisions? So how come another club's fans have decided it is all about them?

It was LeeF who introduced Leigh Centurions to this thread , why he did that , who knows ?

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It was LeeF who introduced Leigh Centurions to this thread , why he did that , who knows ?

You mean when I posted the number of errors made by a Hull player and those made by some Leigh players in response to a post about expecting perfection from refs.

At least my posts are relevant and accurate. 

12 minutes ago, LeeF said:

You mean when I posted the number of errors made by a Hull player and those made by some Leigh players in response to a post about expecting perfection from refs.

At least my posts are relevant and accurate. 

Yes that would be the one , just replying to somebody who asked 

Accurate yes , relevant ? , not really , nobody is perfect , nobody expects perfection 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes that would be the one , just replying to somebody who asked 

Accurate yes , relevant ? , not really , nobody is perfect , nobody expects perfection 

You seem to expect perfection from the refs. My response was relevant 

Anyway feel free to ignore me if it makes your life better

3 minutes ago, LeeF said:

You seem to expect perfection from the refs. My response was relevant 

Anyway feel free to ignore me if it makes your life better

Not perfection , just consistency , only an idiot would suggest that a human being is perfect 

Ignoring you wouldnt make my life better or worse, feel free to ignore me if it bothers you 

9 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Not perfection , just consistency , only an idiot would suggest that a human being is perfect 

Ignoring you wouldnt make my life better or worse, feel free to ignore me if it bothers you 

But isn't consistency a form of perfection?

17 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

You don't bother me so I won't.

Your posts are quite funny at times as you attempt to twist things when you are proven wrong or mistaken

Anyone care to show the consistency here?

IMG_2123.JPG

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

9 minutes ago, Roy Boy said:

Anyone care to show the consistency here?

IMG_2123.JPG

Obviously there is no drone involved in the second incident.  

Section D sub section 49 of the RFL rule book clearly states the referee can only be touched when:

A. a drone is present (directly) above the field of play and;

B. a player is in the process of making a drone based joke with the referee.

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

How many fans on these forums know the rules of the game?

How many qualified refs post on these forums?

Knowing all the rules does not really matter and is irrelevant to this thread, it is the inconsistencies of the adjudication of the rules that fans see only to clearly, not only from week to week and ref to ref, but sometimes by the same ref in the same game.

For a totally stupid example, As the picture above by Royboy clearly shows Luke Gale has his hand on the official, now I totally agree "so what" there is no malice whatsoever in the action, and quite rightly nothing needs doing about it, BUT and it is a massive BUT that other players have been suspended for nothing more, if consistency is what we are striving for should Gale be let off?

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Ha ha, tinfoil hat level reached. The attitude if the 2 players in those pictures are poles apart, loads of players touch refs, it's the ones doing it in an aggressive manner that get punished.

6 minutes ago, dkw said:

Ha ha, tinfoil hat level reached. The attitude if the 2 players in those pictures are poles apart, loads of players touch refs, it's the ones doing it in an aggressive manner that get punished.

Spot on. Watch both incidents in full not just a photo and you will see exactly that

17 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Spot on. Watch both incidents in full not just a photo and you will see exactly that

No no you don't get it every touch of the ref every punch to an opposition player and every high tackle are all exactly the same. It's just the refs are inconsistent. 

22 hours ago, OMEGA said:

I haven't read through every post on this thread so please forgive me if I'm remaking a point already made.

It may be a sour grapes motivated rant from Durham but he's right!

Rank bad officiating has become so much a part of our game that it's now an idiosyncrasy, perhaps we've become so accustomed to it that we don't really recognise how low the quality of our officials has sunk.

Personaly I don't blame the officials, I blame the changing nature of the game or more precisely, the games inability to evolve officiating to match the pace of that change.

Couple this with some 'jobs for the boys' appointments at Red Hall which has seen inappropriate and inadequate Referees Controllers take charge thus accelerating the deterioration.

It's time for a complete unfettered review of the RFLs Offials department followed by a total rebuild leaving it fit for purpose and robust.

I'll add this also, Referee performance should not be exempt from commentary box criticism but the levels of negativity emanating from the SKY microphones does nothing for the game at any level. It doesn't help the viewing experience, it presents a poor impression to the casual TV viewer, I've no doubt it plays a part in the existing disenchantment of current officials while putting off potential new recruits to the Officials courses.

Stuart Cummins has no place in a commentary team and only serves to exacerbate the confusion over the myriad of interpretations of every rule.

Why have we made celebrities of our officials anyway?

In my lifetime watching many sports one thing is universally true across them all. THE BEST OFFICIALS ARE ANONYMOUS, INVISIBLE AND SEEMINGLY HAVE NO BEARING ON THE ACTION OR THE RESULT!

Im sad to say that in Rugby League the truth is the opposite.

Something has to change!

Totally agree with this post Omega, in all its content.

Before I am castigated for being another Leigh fan, let me say firstly that I do not hold the view that certain referees take a displeasure with us and lean to the other team accordingly, I watch the games from the North Stand, the popular noisy side of the ground for those who are familiar with it, and I take amusement from a lot of the comments made on there about some decisions the refs make, but I have also been on a lot of other grounds as a neutral fan and heard lots of the same from other supporters, it is a trait that is wide spread, lots of fans of all clubs are get over enthusiastic and very protective in fact over protective sometimes and will recognise and argue that something is black when it is very clearly white, but a lot of them don't do it purposely it is a mindset.

As I have stated I watch lots of RL, from the junior community, NCL, Championship and SL, and whilst I accept that in the lower echelons of the sport during the game things are going to missed or adjudicated wrongly, I do not expect it to be as inconsistent as it is in the top flight, these guys are Full Time pro's who do this for a living, they are undoubtedly the best of the best we have to offer.

Over and above the Junior officials, the SL refs have another 4 "well trained" helpers on the field of which the 2 touch judges are in radio contact over the period of the game with the ref, in the televised matches there is also a 6th the Video Official usually another full time ref there to give assistance - and we have all witnessed were he has given advice during a game, 40/20's as an example - I am a big fan of the 2 refs the NRL employ but as our Friend CanaBull says "Can anyone say they believe there is sufficient strength in depth within the officials pool" I don't think we have the strength in depth that is why we can't put two refs out there, and for the very same reason that is why we have no or very little accountabillity of our officials for bad performances, as I have eluded to the technology is there use it.

I believe the game is to fast and has to many rules for one man to police efficiently, quite simply the game has evolved very quickly over the last 15 years or so, I don't believe the level of our officials has kept up with the pace.

The solution as you say Omega "It's time for a complete unfettered review of the RFLs Offials department followed by a total rebuild leaving it fit for purpose and robust"

Edit. Just been reading another thread with a post from my mate LeeF who states

" You do realise that a ref has one view from one angle at full speed in which to make a decision based on what he sees?"

which kinda says, if there help and assistance available give it to him.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

45 minutes ago, dkw said:

Which Was? 

54 minutes ago, GaryO said:

Totally agree with this post Omega, in all its content.

Before I am castigated for being another Leigh fan, let me say firstly that I do not hold the view that certain referees take a displeasure with us and lean to the other team accordingly, I watch the games from the North Stand, the popular noisy side of the ground for those who are familiar with it, and I take amusement from a lot of the comments made on there about some decisions the refs make, but I have also been on a lot of other grounds as a neutral fan and heard lots of the same from other supporters, it is a trait that is wide spread, lots of fans of all clubs are get over enthusiastic and very protective in fact over protective sometimes and will recognise and argue that something is black when it is very clearly white, but a lot of them don't do it purposely it is a mindset.

As I have stated I watch lots of RL, from the junior community, NCL, Championship and SL, and whilst I accept that in the lower echelons of the sport during the game things are going to missed or adjudicated wrongly, I do not expect it to be as inconsistent as it is in the top flight, these guys are Full Time pro's who do this for a living, they are undoubtedly the best of the best we have to offer.

Over and above the Junior officials, the SL refs have another 4 "well trained" helpers on the field of which the 2 touch judges are in radio contact over the period of the game with the ref, in the televised matches there is also a 6th the Video Official usually another full time ref there to give assistance - and we have all witnessed were he has given advice during a game, 40/20's as an example - I am a big fan of the 2 refs the NRL employ but as our Friend CanaBull says "Can anyone say they believe there is sufficient strength in depth within the officials pool" I don't think we have the strength in depth that is why we can't put two refs out there, and for the very same reason that is why we have no or very little accountabillity of our officials for bad performances, as I have eluded to the technology is there use it.

I believe the game is to fast and has to many rules for one man to police efficiently, quite simply the game has evolved very quickly over the last 15 years or so, I don't believe the level of our officials has kept up with the pace.

The solution as you say Omega "It's time for a complete unfettered review of the RFLs Offials department followed by a total rebuild leaving it fit for purpose and robust"

Edit. Just been reading another thread with a post from my mate LeeF who states

" You do realise that a ref has one view from one angle at full speed in which to make a decision based on what he sees?"

which kinda says, if there help and assistance available give it to him.

For the record I have specifically posted a number of times GaryO that you are exempt in my opinion from the OTT & incorrect comments beloved by some of your fellow Leigh fans

13 minutes ago, LeeF said:

For the record I have specifically posted a number of times GaryO that you are exempt in my opinion from the OTT & incorrect comments beloved by some of your fellow Leigh fans

Thank you and much appreciated for your kind words, I wasn't being fecitious when I quoted you and said "my mate LeeF" it was just that the comment you made seemed quite appropriate that it would substantiate the point I was trying to get over, do you Agree? 

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:05 PM, Spidey said:

So referees are corrupt not simply incompetent.  That's quite a leap

There's something called "unconscious bias"  and I think many referees are affected by this.  In other words they're not corrupt, they are just unconsciously prejudiced, or partial to particular teams. or indiividuals.  Look it up on Google.  There's plenty about it.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

14 minutes ago, Trojan said:

There's something called "unconscious bias"  and I think many referees are affected by this.  In other words they're not corrupt, they are just unconsciously prejudiced, or partial to particular teams. or indiividuals.  Look it up on Google.  There's plenty about it.

That's not what the other poster was inferring though

It isn't in the interests of referees to give wrong decisions.  

It is impossible for referees to give the correct decision, consistently, all the time.  Live with it.

Three things we could do better, imo:

1. Use the technology.

2. Recruit more ex professional players to be referees, starting as TJs.

3. Inform all Coaches that anyone touching a referee, in any way, will be penalised.

Archived