17 G Burgess 

18 Hardaker

19 McGilvary

20 Ratchford

21 Taylor

22 Walmsley

23 McShane

24 McMeeken

I would not pick any aussies. Do you think Heightington and McQueen will make the squad? 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bennett said a month or so ago that no more "Aussies",aside from McQueen & heignington,would be considered....and McQueen is out injured now...

Heino did alright against Samoa,came on ran hard,made good yards...but we have half a dozen players like that..and younger too..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

It's very difficult to predict who will be in the mix come squad announcement time, but I will say that the likes of Tomkins and Hodgson, at this stage should be nowhere near the squad for the World Cup.

Tomkins is about 4 games back from nearly two years out, and Hodgson looks nothing like the player that did so well in the NRL last season. Things may change for both of these players in the next couple of months, but unless they set the world on fire in terms of fitness and form, they shouldn't go. In their places, Hardaker and Mcshane should be picked, at the moment. I don't think Hardaker is as intelligent a player as Tomkins, and I don't think McShane is anywhere near Roby when the latter is on top form, but currently the two Cas lads should be in the mix.

The forwards are more worrying for me. Graham looks jaded, and Sam Burgess looks a bit tired as well. They are certainly not playing the explosive game we know they are both capable of. Chris Hill is also a shadow of last season's player.

We really need some guys to step up in the next couple of months or the WC is going to be very uncomfortable for us.

1 hour ago, Jim Prendle said:

It's very difficult to predict who will be in the mix come squad announcement time, but I will say that the likes of Tomkins and Hodgson, at this stage should be nowhere near the squad for the World Cup.

Tomkins is about 4 games back from nearly two years out, and Hodgson looks nothing like the player that did so well in the NRL last season. Things may change for both of these players in the next couple of months, but unless they set the world on fire in terms of fitness and form, they shouldn't go. In their places, Hardaker and Mcshane should be picked, at the moment. I don't think Hardaker is as intelligent a player as Tomkins, and I don't think McShane is anywhere near Roby when the latter is on top form, but currently the two Cas lads should be in the mix.

The forwards are more worrying for me. Graham looks jaded, and Sam Burgess looks a bit tired as well. They are certainly not playing the explosive game we know they are both capable of. Chris Hill is also a shadow of last season's player.

We really need some guys to step up in the next couple of months or the WC is going to be very uncomfortable for us.

Very sensible post Jim, but you are missing a big point, read back in this thread and you will see that it is more important to select players with expierience other than those in form, this is a trait that has been used by many of our international coaches of recent years, and look how good that system has proved to be..................... absolutely bobbins.

Players go through a season giving their all and the best performers should be rewarded for their efforts, it is a short career why should they be overlooked for someone who has not performed as well, and may I add they are usually players from the fashionable clubs, so they must be picked irrespective.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

12 minutes ago, GaryO said:

Very sensible post Jim, but you are missing a big point, read back in this thread and you will see that it is more important to select players with expierience other than those in form, this is a trait that has been used by many of our international coaches of recent years, and look how good that system has proved to be..................... absolutely bobbins.

Players go through a season giving their all and the best performers should be rewarded for their efforts, it is a short career why should they be overlooked for someone who has not performed as well, and may I add they are usually players from the fashionable clubs, so they must be picked irrespective.

That's it sorted then,just pick the  Castleford team minus the half a dozen imports and we are sorted,rediculous post.

42 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

That's it sorted then,just pick the  Castleford team minus the half a dozen imports and we are sorted,rediculous post.

Says he who picks 5 of the 17 from the 8th placed club in the SL,  is that because they are in form, or of their reputation, or they are from a fashionable club. 

Now if you tell me they have been out injured that is the reason that club is in 8th spot then they must fall into the second and third categories I mention, simply they have not earned their place THIS SEASON, YET to warrant a seat on the plane, there have been better performers and not just from Castleford.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Most international coaches will go with their proven international players..... unless form is really bad. Hence generally as they have worked with them before and been through training sessions it is hard to break in to a relatively established England side.  We may see it as being based on reputation but more likely its because he is proven, assuming as I say form is not totally poor or just returning from injury and their the one's that cause the greatest thought.

I would imagine no one who hasn't played in an international yet will be on the plane, unless of world beating skills has just shown up.  Obvious exemptions but only occasional...   

1. Hardaker

2. McGillvary

3. Watkins

4. Percival

5. Hall

6. Widdop

7. Gale

8. Walmsley

9. Houghton

10. G Burgess

11. Whitehead

12. Mc Meeken

13. S Burgess

14. Bateman

15.  Roby

16. Hill

17. Watts

18. Currie

19. Williams

20. Ward

22. Ratchford

23. Gildart

24. Eden

25. Taylor

16 hours ago, snapski said:

Wigan fan?

Believe it or not but a Leigh Fan

I have to admit forgetting Ryan Hall, so Budgie out for Hall. As for Watkins I just feel disappointed when I watch him play for England. Very talented boy but 6/10 for all the caps he's had in my opinion.

Interesting that people are not putting many Wakefield or Salford players in there squads.

1 hour ago, GaryO said:

I'm not sure whether you are being sarcastic, or not, but I'll answer anyway.

I don't care if the players picked are proven internationals or not, but if proven internationals are fit, and in form, I would have them above unproven newcomers. That's not to say there is no place for new blood in a team, but I also don't think it makes a whole lot of sense to pack an international team with newcomers, and to expect them to perform immediately.

For instance, I have always thought that Watkins has all the attributes to be a top class international centre, but he very rarely displays them at international level. I would be more than happy to see Gildart given a chance instead of him because Gildart is in form, is of an age and experience that he is unlikely to be overawed by the World Cup, is quick, and defends well.

On the other hand, Hardaker is not a newcomer to the international scene, but has displayed facets in his character that, to me, indicate that he may be unsuitable to the international game. Some players just can't handle being in an environment where they are not top dog, and go off the rails. There have been numerous examples of this over the years, Gareth Hock being another one. Absolutely devastating on his day, and possibly the best English running second row forward of the last 10 years, but put him in the international setup, and it scrambles his brain.

The England team needs to be a combination of proven internationals in good form, and newcomers whose recent performances dictate that they cannot be ignored. Proven Internationals not in form should be excluded.

22 hours ago, Scubby said:

1. S Tomkins 2. J McGilvary 3. K Watkins 4. M Shenton 5. R Hall 6. G Widdop 7. L Gale 8. J Graham 9. J Hodgson 10. G Burgess 11. E Whitehead 12. S Burgess 13. S O'Loughlin 

Subs: 14. G Williams 15. A Walmsley 16. S Taylor 17. M McMeeken

Squad members: S Ratchford, M Percival, Z Hardaker, C Hill, D Clark, J Bateman, T Burgess 

I'd go with that... Ward for Bateman would be another option.

18 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I'd go with that... Ward for Bateman would be another option.

Yep forgot about Ward. He is playing well. I thought Currie was gone for the season too so maybe another shout. I really don't know what all the doom and gloom is about? Some very good players are not going to make that 24. We are as strong as we have been for a decade,

18 minutes ago, Moc said:

George Burgess (and even Sam) have been poor this year

Not sold on O'Loughlin either

Somebody should tell the NRL Sam Burgess has been poor this year as he was joint 11th on the Dally M leader board when voting went behind closed doors after 14 rounds.

If he is the 11th best player in the NRL and playing poorly I would definitely have him in the England team.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Somebody should tell the NRL Sam Burgess has been poor this year as he was joint 11th on the Dally M leader board when voting went behind closed doors after 14 rounds.

If he is the 11th best player in the NRL and playing poorly I would definitely have him in the England team.

Past few games (maybe since they battered Panthers in Rd 17) he's been average - id even go as far as poor by his standards

25 minutes ago, Moc said:

George Burgess (and even Sam) have been poor this year

Not sold on O'Loughlin either

George Williams has 26 try assists this year. That is 8 more than Gale, 11 more than Sneyd and 9 more than Danny Brough. 

Just now, Scubby said:

George Williams has 26 try assists this year. That is 8 more than Gale, 11 more than Sneyd and 9 more than Danny Brough. 

Umm not sure youve quoted the right comment but anyway

Widdop has to be a starter for me, and id take Gale for his overal game managment over Williams personally

Just going on try assits you'd have McGuire starting over Gale then?

17 minutes ago, Moc said:

Umm not sure youve quoted the right comment but anyway

Widdop has to be a starter for me, and id take Gale for his overal game managment over Williams personally

Just going on try assits you'd have McGuire starting over Gale then?

Sorry half asleep still lol. I think you are being harsh on Sam though. He has been busted and playing with rid cartilage damage for last 4 weeks. He is top class.

Just now, Scubby said:

Sorry half asleep still lol. I think you are being harsh on Sam though. He has been busted and playing with rid cartilage damage for last 4 weeks. He is top class.

I am 100% being overly harsh on Sam, he's still a very good player and should/will be in the squad, he's just not "Sam Burgess" levels of good currently

Im worried a lot of people are going to be expecting that world beating Sam, when its looking like we really won’t be seeing this.

I fear him being slightly off form will force him to overplay things and try and win games single handily, which he has a bad habit of doing, often leads to silly errors

As a previous poster mentioned, our dominate pack isnt looking so on point this year (Hill, Burgess X3, Graham)

1. S Tomkins 2. J McGilvray 3. K Watkins 4. O Gildart 5. R Hall 6. G Widdop 7. M Smith 8. J Graham 9. J Hodgson 10. C Hill 11. S Burgess 12. E Whitehead 13. S O'Loughlin Res: 14. G Burgess 15. B Currie 16. J Bateman 17. G Williams

Others: Z Hardaker, J Burgess, M Shenton, L Gale, T Burgess, J Roby, A Walmsley

This is an England squad with 7 quality reserves putting pressure on for places...not sure how often you could say that over the last 20 years. Depth is definitely improving for England and I think it might take a few pool games to settle on their best 17. 

12 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

1. S Tomkins 2. J McGilvray 3. K Watkins 4. O Gildart 5. R Hall 6. G Widdop 7. M Smith 8. J Graham 9. J Hodgson 10. C Hill 11. S Burgess 12. E Whitehead 13. S O'Loughlin Res: 14. G Burgess 15. B Currie 16. J Bateman 17. G Williams

Others: Z Hardaker, J Burgess, M Shenton, L Gale, T Burgess, J Roby, A Walmsley

This is an England squad with 7 quality reserves putting pressure on for places...not sure how often you could say that over the last 20 years. Depth is definitely improving for England and I think it might take a few pool games to settle on their best 17. 

SMITH!! haha please no

3 hours ago, GaryO said:

Says he who picks 5 of the 17 from the 8th placed club in the SL,  is that because they are in form, or of their reputation, or they are from a fashionable club. 

Now if you tell me they have been out injured that is the reason that club is in 8th spot then they must fall into the second and third categories I mention, simply they have not earned their place THIS SEASON, YET to warrant a seat on the plane, there have been better performers and not just from Castleford.

No they are in my 17 like all my other selections based on a combination of form,experience,fitness,quality,combinations and not on who has played well up to now.

Archived