2nd/3rd Sept : Super 8s - Qualifiers Match thread

Well I certainly got that one wrong, Widnes far far the better team, out played Leigh in every department out run, out chased, out enthused, thourougly deserved their victory, best Leigh can now hope for is the MPG in my opinion but on past predictions I will probably get that wrong.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Scubby said:

They need one more win against Widnes (h), Catalans (h) or Wire (a) IMO. Not easy but achievable. 

I will still say they will not win any of those, time will tell, after today they will play Leigh at Home in the MPG.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

2 minutes ago, GaryO said:

Well I certainly got that one wrong, Widnes far far the better team, out played Leigh in every department out run, out chased, out enthused, thourougly deserved their victory, best Leigh can now hope for is the MPG in my opinion but on past predictions I will probably get that wrong.

Next week is huge for Leigh. Even if they lose they need to keep it a narrow loss. Catalans were way out of it on differential but it was a 40 point turnaround with Leigh today. If Wire hammer Leigh and Catalans beat Fev easily then it is all on. 

Leigh crucially have those points in the bag. It is going to be very close.

16 minutes ago, snapski said:

Hull Kr going to be the typical yo-yo club.

Let's hope there are no strings attached...

:kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

22 minutes ago, GaryO said:

And forgot to mention completely out thought in the coaching department.

Catalans very lucky to finish the first half nevermind the game with 13. Greg Bird (Again) sadly only getting 10 minutes for a dangerous Speak Tackle! Such incidents dont belong in the game and players should be red carded no matter who they are or who they play for. The Ref Mr Kendall seemingly had another poor game as he allowed a number of high shots to go unpunished. Refs make mistakes and its not an easy gig. But Refs no matter at what level, should be coming down hard on head contacts. Catalan deserved to win as Fax clueless in attack and why they failed to score. But Catalans again hardly impressed and they will do well to be playing SL next year.

54 minutes ago, stevereed100 said:

We are waiting for you..10'000 plus crowd, more if your lot turn up. After all this SL ###### about Rovers not being good enough let's see how your lads deal with a hyped up partisan crowd. We are looking to party after you lot of Cats at home the next week.

dunno where your "rovers not being good enough" has come from but I doubt it's come from anywhere Widnes related. The fixture against you lot away was prob always going to be our toughest (some would say wire but we tend to turn up against wire)...out of all of them today's and next week's fixtures were the once I was most concerned about

Good game at P O Road.  Fev dominated up front but lack the pace to turn that domination into points.  Richard Moore burst HKR several times, but when he went off injured they struggled.  HKR scored break away tries and Fev had no one to catch them.  Competitive up to the last 10 minutes. 

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

2 hours ago, SteveT said:

Sam Moa taking a 10 minute breather for what may have been a spear tackle. Keep losing reception though as out walking the dog so can't be entirely sure!

Looked like Greg Bird that did the 10 despite what looked like a clear red card offence by Moa. To be fair the tackle before it was Bird with a late shot on Murrell, one of a few that happened in the afternoon none of which ended with a spell in the sin bin. This game would have been a lot closer if Kendall had not left his bottle at home.

1 minute ago, The Blues Ox said:

Looked like Greg Bird that did the 10 despite what looked like a clear red card offence by Moa. To be fair the tackle before it was Bird with a late shot on Murrell, one of a few that happened in the afternoon none of which ended with a spell in the sin bin. This game would have been a lot closer if Kendall had not left his bottle at home.

Really?

Why am I and probably Garth Ellis not sursprised?

35 minutes ago, chuffer said:

dunno where your "rovers not being good enough" has come from but I doubt it's come from anywhere Widnes related. The fixture against you lot away was prob always going to be our toughest (some would say wire but we tend to turn up against wire)...out of all of them today's and next week's fixtures were the once I was most concerned about

Should be an interesting game. Both sides know that a victory almost certainly means avoiding the MPG.

Anyone think there's still time for London to sneak in? 3 losses, but only -9 on the points difference dispite playing 2 SL teams and the Championship winners. Would require a win against Halifax (up next, a strong possibility) and a win against Leigh for sure (last game), but could all come down to the 6th Round game with Widnes/London and Leigh/Halifax. Think that'll be enough to save Leigh missing out on the MPG.

Catalans playing Fev H, HKR A and Widnes H could easily end up with just one win if not careful.

Next loss for London would be game over. I knew that draw would probably be the end of their hopes, although a chance to kick for a draw last night could have salvaged that last point!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

35 minutes ago, chuffer said:

Hull KR supporters have spent this whole season being told we're not as good as Leigh were last year. We are a naturally pessimistic bunch, but feeling fairly positive right now. Four hard fought wins is more than I hoped for at this stage. See you on Saturday Widnes. ?

4 minutes ago, PoorhousePete said:

Hull KR supporters have spent this whole season being told we're not as good as Leigh were last year. We are a naturally pessimistic bunch, but feeling fairly positive right now. Four hard fought wins is more than I hoped for at this stage. See you on Saturday Widnes. ?

You've done very well and should go into the home game v Widnes with a fair bit of confidence.

I'm looking forward to watching with great interest. :wink:

I'm obviously very pleased that Widnes got the win today in what was a crucial game to our survival prospects. However, results have shown just how important points difference can be and I'm just as pleased with how we stuck to our task against Fax and Fev. If Wire as expected beat Leigh at home then points difference could become crucial. For the teams in the mix for the MPG, the PD is as follows:

Hull KR +35

Widnes +74

Leigh +30

Cats - 26

A defeat for Catalans against Hull KR could mean that Widnes would only have to win their remaining home game (London) and avoid big defeats to gain that crucial 3rd place. Even if Catalans turn their fortunes around and win their remaining 3 games, the PD should be enough to secure us a home tie.

A lot of ifs and buts yet and I've a feeling London could have something to say yet but we've put ourselves in a good position with three games remaining.

18 minutes ago, PoorhousePete said:

Doesn't really matter if you're as good as Leigh were. Are you better than you were last year? You've got the same amount of points with three games remaining to boot.

And if you are better, what's the difference? Coach? Recruitment?Momentum/confidence from a strong Championship campaign rather than a poor SL campaign? Quality of opposition? Would be intriguing to know, as you'd expect a team to do worse rather than better when relegated (same for Leigh but vice versa).

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

33 minutes ago, PoorhousePete said:

A draw would be a very beneficial result for both clubs. Anyone fancy passing the message on...

Great action shot from the Fax game................In SL a pretty good chance of a sin binning or even a sending off with a 2 foot of the ground shoulder charge attack of a players head..........at this level did not even deserve a penalty. The playing field is distinctly like the old Thrum Hall pitch for the championship sides.

Capture.PNG

15 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Doesn't really matter if you're as good as Leigh were. Are you better than you were last year? You've got the same amount of points with three games remaining to boot.

And if you are better, what's the difference? Coach? Recruitment?Momentum/confidence from a strong Championship campaign rather than a poor SL campaign? Quality of opposition? Would be intriguing to know, as you'd expect a team to do worse rather than better when relegated (same for Leigh but vice versa).

Without doing Hull KR down, they've had a very favourable draw, something they got of course for finishing top.

They've won 4 of their opening games but then again they've played all the Championship clubs and have 3 Super League teams remaining. Results wise, they've only actually had to put in one very good performance (Leigh away) to be in this position.They've probably underperformed scorewise against the 3 Championship clubs and have a PD of only +35 from 4 victories. I suspect the SL team from last year would probably have a higher PD than this.

This of course puts pressure on the teams around them as they have results in the bag and I expect they'll have enough to get the 1 win they need from either Widnes or Catalans at home and by the time they play Wire it won't matter. 

On today's evidence (v Fax), Catalans look an average and nervous side - but as could be expected of a SL side against a Championship one they had a bit too much strength and organisation in defence and pace in attack, and 'Fax had too little of either despite a good opening 30 mins with plenty of possession. I don't think Catalan will be relegated - but they do look vulnerable and could be beaten by HKR.

I heard the altercation involving McNamara a little late even though I was sat only a few rows in front - I couldn't say how it started but the language/behaviour certainly wasn't what you would want at a game. I would say however that I was impressed by the Catalan's players after the game taking the time to sign autographs and have photographs taken with kids

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Without doing Hull KR down, they've had a very favourable draw, something they got of course for finishing top.

They've won 4 of their opening games but then again they've played all the Championship clubs and have 3 Super League teams remaining. Results wise, they've only actually had to put in one very good performance (Leigh away) to be in this position.They've probably underperformed scorewise against the 3 Championship clubs and have a PD of only +35 from 4 victories. I suspect the SL team from last year would probably have a higher PD than this.

This of course puts pressure on the teams around them as they have results in the bag and I expect they'll have enough to get the 1 win they need from either Widnes or Catalans at home and by the time they play Wire it won't matter. 

Fev are no great shakes compared to the SL clubs, but TBH they struggled against us today.  They have a bit of pace, which we lack, but apart from that they're not that good a side IMO.  We had a few regulars out today too.  Richard Moore was really troubling them until his injury.  I reckon they'll be back at P O Road next year.  at least there was no crowd trouble this time.  The only trouble I've seen for years at P O Road was the last time HKR were there.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Great action shot from the Fax game................In SL a pretty good chance of a sin binning or even a sending off with a 2 foot of the ground shoulder charge attack of a players head..........at this level did not even deserve a penalty. The playing field is distinctly like the old Thrum Hall pitch for the championship sides.

Capture.PNG

Sorry but in sport a single frame doesn't tell the story. That could be a very selective choice of image. Nice try, but no cigar.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived