2nd/3rd Sept : Super 8s - Qualifiers Match thread

Score please

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Click said:

Final score London Broncos 38 - 40 Warrington Wolves

Ta

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

RL referees remind me of the Labour party, totally faceless self opinionated people who do not in still much confidence in their abillity to perform under pressure.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

We were absolute garbage tonight. In the ground, so no idea what decisions were right or wrong. But only one side played rugby and it wasn't Warrington.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Some posts deleted. If people can't stop alleging that refs are bent then there will be bannings before the night is done. 

Enough. Don't like it? Go post elsewhere.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Tremendous effort from Broncos and what a game. They really deserved to get something out of the game. Dodgy decision at the end but evened out by a Warrington try not given earlier. Broncos have some very good players, hope they manage to hold onto them for next year. Think they'll struggle to qualify now so can see a few players getting poached 

London looked really good when they threw the ball about and if they get more strength in the pack for next year to go with their backs they should be a real threat next year. How the officials missed the Warrington player having a foot on the sideline when he stopped the London penalty from going into touch and how it wasn't a penalty at the end with Atkins cannonball tackle I have no idea. Warrington definitely got away with that one tonight.

Disappointed that one or two Wire fans were chucking beer at the Broncos' players early in the game. Also disappointed that Broncos switched off for 20 mins and let the scoreboard drift away from them.

Talking points:

• Try aside, did Lineham touch the ball this evening?
  • That Atkins 3rd man cannonball tackle - a penalty all day long in any other game
  • Gidley's "professionalism" in calling the Wire side back to the half way line during the video ref prevarications over Dixon's late try. Saved his team a valuable 10 secs or so - sheer SuperLeague quality right there. Worth the entrance fee alone, etc. etc.
  • Tony Smith - the Arsene Wenger of RL. Decent bloke and a fine coach, but badly let down by his team and their attitude

It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

10 hours ago, Dave T said:

Only if his fingers come off the ball and my HD tv didnt show that.

I did some googling of this last night (and had someone on twitter offer an opinion as well).  I can't find any knock on rule that says his fingers have to come off the ball.  The ball goes forward and hits the ground, it's a knock on.  Nothing about a player's hands being in contact.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

46 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I did some googling of this last night (and had someone on twitter offer an opinion as well).  I can't find any knock on rule that says his fingers have to come off the ball.  The ball goes forward and hits the ground, it's a knock on.  Nothing about a player's hands being in contact.

In that case most tries scored with forward momentum would be knock on's.He had control of the ball with both hands on watch it at match speed and it looks fine to me.

41 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

My interpretation is if his hands are still on the ball then he has posession and hasnt knocked on.

As i said earlier in the thread i viewed it exactly the same as if it was over the line, it wouldnt be given a knock on. You can touch the ball into the ground legally - in fact that is how you generally score.

Had that been a video ref decision over the line they would absolutely have looked to see if his fingers came away from the ball to determine a knock on.

As i also said, i wouldnt have been surprised to have seen it disallowed.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

My interpretation is if his hands are still on the ball then he has posession and hasnt knocked on.

As i said earlier in the thread i viewed it exactly the same as if it was over the line, it wouldnt be given a knock on. You can touch the ball into the ground legally - in fact that is how you generally score.

Had that been a video ref decision over the line they would absolutely have looked to see if his fingers came away from the ball to determine a knock on.

As i also said, i wouldnt have been surprised to have seen it disallowed.

The ball is dead when you touch the ball into the ground over the try line though.  Either a try or drop out or restart etc.  So the ball being dead because you knocked it on into the ground in the field of play would be consistent with that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The ball is dead when you touch the ball into the ground over the try line though.  Either a try or drop out or restart etc.  So the ball being dead because you knocked it on into the ground in the field of play would be consistent with that.

But the knock on would have happened before the ball was dead.

My view is the 'knock' part happens when it touches your hand and then comes away from you. Thats why i focused on the seperation. Happy to accept i could be wrong though.

But i did find myself agreeing with Terry and wasnt surprised at all that the vr gave the thumbs up.

As he kept his hand on the ball all the time it wasn't a knock-on for me, but then what do I know? An excellent performance by us, there's the basis of a half way decent SL side there. As for Warrington - oh dear, they'll stay up this year but without some really drastic work I can see next season being bye-bye time. Obviously TS has to go  but whether Maguire's the answer I'm not so sure, for me they need a really hard individual who won't give a tuppeny wotsit about reputations and can force the players to do what they're told.

14 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

As he kept his hand on the ball all the time it wasn't a knock-on for me, but then what do I know? An excellent performance by us, there's the basis of a half way decent SL side there. As for Warrington - oh dear, they'll stay up this year but without some really drastic work I can see next season being bye-bye time. Obviously TS has to go  but whether Maguire's the answer I'm not so sure, for me they need a really hard individual who won't give a tuppeny wotsit about reputations and can force the players to do what they're told.

Players can be moved on. If its not TS we should be aiming for the best manager who matches our philosophy.

I have defended TS but after that performance I can't anymore. The team needs new direction and someone who has the ability to motivate players. As for the decisions by the video referee a few strange ones, both tries one for each team looked clear knock on. Broncos played well and deserved something out of the game but if Warrington had even tried to defend,  it would have been a one sided game. 

16 minutes ago, mickhornet said:

What a brilliant game. Unlucky London, Sammut played a blinder he really is class.  

Sammut is hard to read because he can adapt his plays and dosn't seem to be playing the game from a pre -game script.London deserve credit for the way they have performed in the middle eights and Henderson is proving to be just as able a coach as he was number 9.

11 hours ago, GaryO said:

RL referees remind me of the Labour party, totally faceless self opinionated people who do not in still much confidence in their abillity to perform under pressure.

How are they faceless? We know who they are. They are the people in yellow shirts without whom there is no game.

Of course they are self(sic) opinionated. It is their job to be. Should they take a democratic vote on whether there is a knock on or something?

So none of the hundreds of thousands of members of a political movement and the people who vote for them are incapable of instilling confidence(in who? By the way), under pressure? I'm sure some of this huge swathe of the population can't, but I'm fairly certain that a good number can. Jo Cox For instance was an inspiring figure, and there are plenty more like her.

We've won 3 Challenge Cups, 2 League Leaders Trophies and been in 3 grand Finals under TS, so I'm still inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt: we were poor two seasons ago and had a big improvement in 2016.

I was at the game, so can't comment on any of the decisions not having the benefit of replays, apart from saying that Warrington's second try was scored right in front of me and it was only when the referee signalled it that I even considered that it might be.

The whole evening was one of the most surreal that I've had for quite a while - not just the way the game went but the whole atmosphere: the Wire fans who spent the whole of the second half (at least when we were on top) making the ball boy the focus of their songs, the young man who as Warrington were waiting to receive a kick off was shouting to Ashton Simms in the manner of Alan Partridge shouting to Dan before concluding with, "Your sister's better than you" and then complaining loudly that Ashton had ignored him, and the group of men shouting "Kevin Brown" constantly in the last five minutes.

I was very impressed with London's pace in backs and ball handling and they really deserve more from their first four games than one point.  It was good to see some genuine excitement from the London fans in the 'stand' along the touchline and hopefully with these sorts of performances the fans who have deserted them over the last few years will start to return: the club seem in a good place right now (and I don't mean at Trailfinders).

One last point, I spoke to a man in a Cornish Pirates top on the way back to the station.  He'd been to the Trailfinders game and obviously fancied staying for some proper rugby.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Latchford Albion.  I enjoyed your post.  I was clearly at the same game that you were at.  I saw someone at the bar with the Saracens shirt on.  So I guess he had had a busy day. 

In the second half I was sitting near the group of men who were continually shouting at Kevin Brown too.  I think they said Simms was the worst in his family too.

I was down the other end in the first half and I saw the incident where the Warrington fan threw the pint of beer at the Broncos players (after the second try I think it was).  Clearly a fair amount of beer had been drunk by the wire fans at that end before the match had even started.  As we walked past them at the beginning of the match there was already one man in his 40s laying flat on the ground in the front row  having just fallen over and spilt his beer!  There was some security there for the rest of the match.  There also seems to be more police officers than usual  but I don't know if they were there all game or arrived as it seem to be getting a bit rowdy?

It was a terrific game.   Kieron Dixon second try was just brilliant to watch. Mark Iome  did not look in any way out of his depth against Warrington forwards. Sammut had a great game  but possibly missing those first two conversions turned out to be very costly. 

With the cameras there and the noise of the Warrington fans it did remind you of what it was like when London was in the super league. 

I assumed that's it for London now but I spoke to other fans after the match and some of them still had hopes that we can get to the million pound game.  Certainly our points difference should be pretty good. 

Great night and I'm looking forward to next Sunday afternoon. 

I left after the match but I understand that the trailfinders bar showed the Toronto match on the big screen afterwards? 

Archived