2nd/3rd Sept : Super 8s - Qualifiers Match thread

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a feeling that London won't make it to the MPG, but also that there are plenty of positive things about this club now.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

For London yet again close but no cigar, the game was lost when London failed to kick a penalty four minutes from the end of the first half opting to go for touch, which resulted in an eight point swing in the match with Warrington scoring on next posession and gaining momentum

The bad calls evened themselves out throught the game. London's achilies heel remains , as last year, the "mad twenty" minute period, within it seems every game, where London concede a shedload of points. In this case, twenty minutes into the second half. Then spend the rest of the game playing catch up. We can get away with this in the Championship but not against a quality outfit..

Glad the lads did pull it back to 38-40 because at 20-40, I was thinking this was a rude scoreline that as is often the case with Rugby League often does not tell the whole story.

Best of luck to Tony Smith, top bloke and top coach, the only Warrington coach to win anything this century, which certain keyboard klatterers in the WA postcode area ought to remember.

Reasons to be cheerful

London now resemble Leigh in the ear before they got promotion. The best of the rest as Dennis Betts put it. Two years experience of the Super 8's may lead to the club closing out games next year.

The Championship will be a much more attractive proposition to investors and boradscasters next year by virtue of a minium 25% of clubs outside the M62 . London, Toronto, Toulouse, Sheffield with potentially Catalans dropping down. If someone be it an antipodean exile or northern bloodnut misses their League in London then they could buy the Club. I can tell you from the horses mouth that our benefactor would move aside if someone more cashed up turned up.

The Academy side no longer makes up the numbers and goes into games wity the northern clubs academies expecting to win. That is noteworthy.

Reason to be fearful

The Super 8's are in some cases an opportunioty to showcase the best talent in the Championship which means lower level superleague clubs may wish to entice players to join them for 2018.

London needs to win three out of three, not out of the question provided the team decides to Aim up..

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

36 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

For London yet again close but no cigar, the game was lost when London failed to kick a penalty four minutes from the end of the first half opting to go for touch, which resulted in an eight point swing in the match with Warrington scoring on next posession and gaining momentum

The bad calls evened themselves out throught the game. London's achilies heel remains , as last year, the "mad twenty" minute period, within it seems every game, where London concede a shedload of points. In this case, twenty minutes into the second half. Then spend the rest of the game playing catch up. We can get away with this in the Championship but not against a quality outfit..

Glad the lads did pull it back to 38-40 because at 20-40, I was thinking this was a rude scoreline that as is often the case with Rugby League often does not tell the whole story.

Best of luck to Tony Smith, top bloke and top coach, the only Warrington coach to win anything this century, which certain keyboard klatterers in the WA postcode area ought to remember.

Reasons to be cheerful

London now resemble Leigh in the ear before they got promotion. The best of the rest as Dennis Betts put it. Two years experience of the Super 8's may lead to the club closing out games next year.

The Championship will be a much more attractive proposition to investors and boradscasters next year by virtue of a minium 25% of clubs outside the M62 . London, Toronto, Toulouse, Sheffield with potentially Catalans dropping down. If someone be it an antipodean exile or northern bloodnut misses their League in London then they could buy the Club. I can tell you from the horses mouth that our benefactor would move aside if someone more cashed up turned up.

The Academy side no longer makes up the numbers and goes into games wity the northern clubs academies expecting to win. That is noteworthy.

Reason to be fearful

The Super 8's are in some cases an opportunioty to showcase the best talent in the Championship which means lower level superleague clubs may wish to entice players to join them for 2018.

London needs to win three out of three, not out of the question provided the team decides to Aim up..

Very good post mate. Agree with pretty much all of this.

While its a shame London lost,  maybe its a good thing. Personally I think this year is a step too soon for SL. I am sure they will learn and progress both on and off the field. Theres many positives about London Broncos at the moment. The Academy is going well and making big strides forward that can only help in the future. I would want London to go in to SL with the best chance of survival and being hopefully in the top 8.

Its clear that this years SL Clubs have performed poorly- maybe the worst since this concept began. No one team has really stood out. Warrington have won all the games but they didnt impress against Halifax or London. You could say they were lucky to win both. Leigh were awful against HKR by all accounts. Widnes have just done enough to win without being outstanding against the 2 Part time teams. As for Catalans well the less said the better! I feel sad that SL standards just seemed to have dropped so much especially for a team like Warrington. Something doesnt seem right at Warrington. They have massive problems and I am not sure its just the fault of the Coaching team but the whole club. With the players and training facilities they have they have been just as disappointing as Catalans. Its just they have sneaked wins and Catalans have not.

1 hour ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

While its a shame London lost,  maybe its a good thing. Personally I think this year is a step too soon for SL. I am sure they will learn and progress both on and off the field. Theres many positives about London Broncos at the moment. The Academy is going well and making big strides forward that can only help in the future. I would want London to go in to SL with the best chance of survival and being hopefully in the top 8.

Its clear that this years SL Clubs have performed poorly- maybe the worst since this concept began. No one team has really stood out. Warrington have won all the games but they didnt impress against Halifax or London. You could say they were lucky to win both. Leigh were awful against HKR by all accounts. Widnes have just done enough to win without being outstanding against the 2 Part time teams. As for Catalans well the less said the better! I feel sad that SL standards just seemed to have dropped so much especially for a team like Warrington. Something doesnt seem right at Warrington. They have massive problems and I am not sure its just the fault of the Coaching team but the whole club. With the players and training facilities they have they have been just as disappointing as Catalans. Its just they have sneaked wins and Catalans have not.

I can't agree with this (apart from the Wire stuff).

The SL clubs haven't performed any worse than in previous years. I think Wire can be accused of disrespecting the opposition a little as they've won the two games that mattered. You mention Widnes but we've comfortably disposed of the Champ clubs so far. As regards Fax, we won much more easily than we did there in 2015 when we'd finished 9th not bottom.

So far we've had 1 Champ beat a SL team once. In 2015 this happened twice with 2 different clubs (and was close to being 3 clubs as Leigh blew leads twice) and in 2016 it happened 4 times by 2 different clubs. I suspect it'll be similar to these this year but might even only end up with KR winning.

3 minutes ago, chuffer said:

first blood to Widnes, white dives over from dummy half

on the back of 2 quick penalties.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Kieran Johnson in as Featherstone draw first blood in the battle of the Rovers. Try came after Carney rushed a play the ball with nobody at acting half.

Fev 6 Hull KR 0.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Kieran Johnson turns from hero to villain as he loses the ball and Ryan Shaw collects for a 90m try.

Sounds like a lively game this.

Fev 6 Hull KR 6.

Leigh 0 Widnes 6

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Widnes 8 up on the back of it

once Leigh stopped messing about following..

..scrap that Widnes in again.

14 to widnes

Fev piling on the pressure but Hull KR break and score at the other end.

Fev 6 Hull KR 12.

Featherstone Rovers 6:10 Hull KR
Halifax 0:6 Catalans Dragons
Leigh Centurions 0:20 Widnes Vikings

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, chuffer said:

either my radio's slow or futtocks has a mystic meg source

I'm getting the score off http://www.flashscore.com/rugby-league/

As a betting site, I'd hope they were very careful about getting scores right. But I'm not listening to commentary on that particular match, so it might be wrong.

Edit: they just knocked the score back to 0:14.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived