100 Days That Shook Rugby League

I have a book coming out in mid-October called '100 Days That Shook Rugby League'. It's pretty self-explanatory really - 100 great stories from the game's history!  

Here is the link for advance orders: http://shop.totalrl.com/product/100-days/

And here is some blurb...

Richard de la Rivière presents 100 Days That Shook Rugby League, featuring:

EPIC MATCHES: The famous finals and internationals including Rorke’s Drift, the Battle of Brisbane, Prescott’s broken arm, “He’s a poor lad!”, Leigh and Featherstone win at Wembley, the Kenny and Sterling final, Sydney ’88, Old Trafford ’90, Melbourne ’92, Wembley ’94 and the great matches of the modern era.

WEIRD AND WONDERFUL TOURS: Rugby’s inaugural Lions of 1888, the All Golds, the first Rugby League Lions of 1910, the farcical tours of 1927 and 1996, the Indomitables, the glorious Frenchmen of 1951, the American All Stars and the Invincibles.

CONTROVERSIES: Manningham defect, Chimpy’s disallowed try, corruption in war-time France, Len Smith dropped, Bobby Lulham poisoned, Magpies cheated, the 1970 World Cup Final, Jim Mills v John Greengrass, Newtown player jailed in Bangkok hellhole, the ‘Four Corners’ scandal, World Cup finalist arrested for armed robberies, the Super League War, St Helens suspend Ellery, Sterling sues Leeds, Saints’ betting scandal, Andrew Johns’ tell-all interview, Ben Flower’s punch and Sol Mokdad imprisoned.

BRILLIANCE: Billy Jukes, Puig-Aubert, Billy Boston, Lewis Jones, Arthur Beetson, Alex Murphy, Clive Sullivan, Brett Kenny, Wally Lewis, Garry Schofield, Martin Offiah, Mal Meninga, Darren Lockyer, Stacey Jones, Johnathan Thurston and many more.

HISTORIC MILESTONES: The George Hotel, the first Challenge Cup, Hunslet’s All Four Cups, the Cup Final moves to Wembley, Rugby League hits television, the world-record crowd, the first World Cup, the inaugural State of Origin, the birth of Fulham and the Super League kick off.

TRAGIC TALES: Bob Seddon, Buller Stadden, Jimmy Leytham, Ray Morris, Chris Sanderson, Ben Alexander, Billie-Joe Edwards, Craig Johnson, Mike Gregory, Steve Prescott, Leon Walker, Terry Newton and Danny Jones.

OTHER GREAT STORIES: Balmain forfeit the Premiership, potential merger with Aussie Rules, Rugby League kicks off in France, Leigh sign 100 metres world-record holder, jubilant Parra fans burn down the Cumberland Oval, Bradford walk off at Hull KR, Murph’s dressing-room rage beamed to the nation, Trinity sign the King, Ian Roberts comes out, Salford survive in `Million-Pound’ thriller.

AND MUCH MORE

100-days cover.png

10 hours ago, southstand loiner said:

will Waterstones be stocking it ?.  still got a book voucher and as a tight fisted ###### may as well use it  

It depends on which branch.  Some do regularly stock Rugby League books, most don't, but any branch can order it for you.

That goes for all book stockists. They have a digital listing of every book pulished so long as it is entered into the Neilsen Book Data listings (this one is).

It is also for sale direct from the publisher (League Publications Limited), go to www.totalrl.com/shop

And also available via amazon.co.uk

These are only the three main stockists, however.  There are many other, small, independent bookshops of course, which - if they have a recognised Rugby League book buying clientelle - will order it in small quantities from the wholesaler, Gardners Books.

I hope this helps anyone looking to purchase a copy and I hope that will be everyone because it looks like being a cracker!

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

54 minutes ago, Richard de la Riviere said:

t. Imminent baby sees to that! 

That's lovely.  Paternity leave and relaxation to plan another work!

this book sounds good and If I have spare cash this move I'll take a look,

On 10/4/2017 at 4:49 PM, Richard de la Riviere said:

I have a book coming out in mid-October called '100 Days That Shook Rugby League'. It's pretty self-explanatory really - 100 great stories from the game's history!  

Here is the link for advance orders: http://shop.totalrl.com/product/100-days/

And here is some blurb...

Richard de la Rivière presents 100 Days That Shook Rugby League, featuring:

EPIC MATCHES: The famous finals and internationals including Rorke’s Drift, the Battle of Brisbane, Prescott’s broken arm, “He’s a poor lad!”, Leigh and Featherstone win at Wembley, the Kenny and Sterling final, Sydney ’88, Old Trafford ’90, Melbourne ’92, Wembley ’94 and the great matches of the modern era.

WEIRD AND WONDERFUL TOURS: Rugby’s inaugural Lions of 1888, the All Golds, the first Rugby League Lions of 1910, the farcical tours of 1927 and 1996, the Indomitables, the glorious Frenchmen of 1951, the American All Stars and the Invincibles.

CONTROVERSIES: Manningham defect, Chimpy’s disallowed try, corruption in war-time France, Len Smith dropped, Bobby Lulham poisoned, Magpies cheated, the 1970 World Cup Final, Jim Mills v John Greengrass, Newtown player jailed in Bangkok hellhole, the ‘Four Corners’ scandal, World Cup finalist arrested for armed robberies, the Super League War, St Helens suspend Ellery, Sterling sues Leeds, Saints’ betting scandal, Andrew Johns’ tell-all interview, Ben Flower’s punch and Sol Mokdad imprisoned.

BRILLIANCE: Billy Jukes, Puig-Aubert, Billy Boston, Lewis Jones, Arthur Beetson, Alex Murphy, Clive Sullivan, Brett Kenny, Wally Lewis, Garry Schofield, Martin Offiah, Mal Meninga, Darren Lockyer, Stacey Jones, Johnathan Thurston and many more.

HISTORIC MILESTONES: The George Hotel, the first Challenge Cup, Hunslet’s All Four Cups, the Cup Final moves to Wembley, Rugby League hits television, the world-record crowd, the first World Cup, the inaugural State of Origin, the birth of Fulham and the Super League kick off.

TRAGIC TALES: Bob Seddon, Buller Stadden, Jimmy Leytham, Ray Morris, Chris Sanderson, Ben Alexander, Billie-Joe Edwards, Craig Johnson, Mike Gregory, Steve Prescott, Leon Walker, Terry Newton and Danny Jones.

OTHER GREAT STORIES: Balmain forfeit the Premiership, potential merger with Aussie Rules, Rugby League kicks off in France, Leigh sign 100 metres world-record holder, jubilant Parra fans burn down the Cumberland Oval, Bradford walk off at Hull KR, Murph’s dressing-room rage beamed to the nation, Trinity sign the King, Ian Roberts comes out, Salford survive in `Million-Pound’ thriller.

AND MUCH MORE

100-days cover.png

We've just taken delivery of stock, so the book is now ready for immediate despatch.

All advance orders are being shipped today.

Order your copy here

http://shop.totalrl.com/product/100-days/

Yes I wanted to go with something pre-1895 for that very reason. It's an amazing story as well, not just because of what happened to Bob Seddon, but with Jack Clowes not being allowed to play in any of the matches by the RFU for accepting the same clothing allowance as every other player. And it's incredible to think that the first ever British Lions played 19 Aussie Rules matches! 

This is the Newtown Jets team from 1975, the most notorious team in Rugby League. Garry Sullivan became a prolific armed robber. Paul Hayward tried to import millions of dollars of heroin into Australia from Thailand. Chris Dawson was investigated after his wife disappeared, although charges were later dropped. Doug Kemister drove a car for a notorious Sydney gangster. The stories of Sullivan (second left, back row) and Hayward (second left, front row) are featured in my new book, ‘100 Days That Shook Rugby League’ - http://shop.totalrl.com/product/100-days/

Newtown 1975.jpg

Any plans to release this in Kindle/ebook format?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Any plans to release this in Kindle/ebook format?

I'm afraid not.

We've done Kindle editions of previous titles and the number of sales hasn't justified the cost of producing them.

On 13/10/2017 at 11:13 PM, Richard de la Riviere said:

This is the Newtown Jets team from 1975, the most notorious team in Rugby League. Garry Sullivan became a prolific armed robber. Paul Hayward tried to import millions of dollars of heroin into Australia from Thailand. Chris Dawson was investigated after his wife disappeared, although charges were later dropped. Doug Kemister drove a car for a notorious Sydney gangster. The stories of Sullivan (second left, back row) and Hayward (second left, front row) are featured in my new book, ‘100 Days That Shook Rugby League’ - http://shop.totalrl.com/product/100-days/

Newtown 1975.jpg

“Colourful” personalities.

2 hours ago, Copa said:

“Colourful” personalities.

Mugs, there is nothing colourful about being a criminal thug or Drug dealer IMO.

Lets not glorify the criminals that they were.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Archived