England Squad Named

Just now, Scubby said:

Makinson was actually the obvious choice there. Comfortable at wing and full back. Ratchford is obviously there to cover 1, 2, 3, 6

Ratchford must be one hell of a player to cover Fullback, Wing, Centre and Stand off at Test level with one Cap under his belt, sounds like Greg Inglis or Jarryd Hayne.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I suspect, Tim, that you are missing nothing.  Rather, I sense that it is Bennett that is missing something, namely - and inevitably - having his finger on the week-by-week pulse of the SL season.  That weakness manifests itself on an inclination to play 'safe' with players of past reputation even though they may have lost their best edge - Brown and Hall are examples - at the expense of the currently exciting options, such as Eden and Makinson.  

The inclusion of Heighington is arguably a variation of the same point.  In other words, Bennett sees and knows of what this player does routinely; he will not have such a well rounded, easily secured view of the SL based alternatives.

Apart from the fact that Bennett watched him train and play for a whole season in 2016 but I will take Tim's judgement over WB.

1 minute ago, Allora said:

Ratchford must be one hell of a player to cover Fullback, Wing, Centre and Stand off at Test level with one Cap under his belt, sounds like Greg Inglis or Jarryd Hayne.

He has played in all those positions on a many occasions. Do you watch Warrington at all? Great utilities are often, by definition, back up players.

Just now, Scubby said:

I know what it is, and if Beau Ryan and Api Koroisau have been selected for this team it tells you all you need to know.

You obviously are not a good judge of a player Ryan was a highly regarded player, do you let his media persona get in the way?

Just now, Scubby said:

He has played in all those positions on a many occasions. Do you watch Warrington at all? 

Don't think he's played wing. He's also played Second-row, loose and hooker at times in games

The only position I think for sure he hasn't played is prop

28 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Due to NZ in turmoil this is an amazing chance of us to at least make the final and we screw ourselves over; Hardaker's mistake means we now have to settle for a below average FB (Sam Tomkins should've been called up) and the following players aren't good enough to play at the top level:

- Kevin Brown, Chris Heighington, Jonny Lomax, Stefan Ratchford.

Regarding the starting lineup, Ryan Hall is past his best, there's big question marks over Percival and assuming one of either Lomaz or Ratchford will play FB then that's three weak areas. For these reasons I think it will be tough.

I am not sure I agree that Hall is past his best. Hall has never been a super-fast acrobatic winger but he is arguably the best physical finisher and kick return winger in the world. Since the corner flag is no longer ‘in touch’ we have seen some exceptional finishes from much faster and more acrobatic wingers than Hall but at international level where defences are better, those types of attributes are less likely to be as effective anyway.

Just now, Scubby said:

He has played in all those positions on a many occasions. Do you watch Warrington at all? 

I did not realise playing for the highly regarded Warrington was similar to playing at Test level against the best in the World.

You have me there.

My Team has a good utility player that can play anywhere, as long as its not against a team better.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Apart from the fact that Bennett watched him train and play for a whole season in 2016 but I will take Tim's judgement over WB.

Point taken, Scubby, but that means Bennett didn't have the intimate week-in-week-out knowledge of how Eden progressed in 2017.  Maybe he got good reports!

Just got in and seen the squad and all I can say is "KEVIN BROWN" FFS and don't even get me going about that over the hill Cronulla bench player,anyone want a couple of final tickets and a 2 night Brisbane hotel room.

1 minute ago, Allora said:

I did not realise playing for the highly regarded Warrington was similar to playing at Test level against the best in the World.

You have me there.

My Team has a good utility player that can play anywhere, as long as its not against a team better.

What are you talking about. He has been in England squads for 4 or 5 years. When you can only name 24 players he is an ideal squad player. Did you watch the test v Samoa?

Point taken, Scubby, but that means Bennett didn't have the intimate week-in-week-out knowledge of how Eden progressed in 2017.  Maybe he got good reports!

He may have watched the grand final though :ph34r:

Just now, Scubby said:

Yep and he was the same age as Johnny Lomax when he was selected.

Just now, Scubby said:

Yep and he was the same age as Johnny Lomax when he was selected.

But that was a nothing game against PNG, a bit like the Knights...

Not a real Test.

13 minutes ago, Allora said:

This is why England is unlikely to win the World Cup in 2017.

That would be true whatever squad was selected.

I think Lomax over Tomkins is the correct decision based on form this season and in last year's 4 nations. There's a few other odd ones - Brown, Ratchford & Heighington in, no Eden or Ward, the lack of much cover in the backs, but none of those changes would turn us into the world's best.

Have England (as opposed to GB) ever beaten NZ in NZ? I don't think we've beaten the Kiwis in NZ at all since the 1992 Lions tour - unless I've forgotten one.

Just now, Scubby said:

He may have watched the grand final though :ph34r:

True...so why pick Luke Gale, arguably THE most disappointing player at Old Trafford?

21 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

So rumour has it that Stevie Ward might now represent Wales lol

I've heard the same!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Just now, Scubby said:

What are you talking about. He has been in England squads for 4 or 5 years. When you can only name 24 players he is an ideal squad player. Did you watch the test v Samoa?

He scored a try, didn't see it as it was not on TV apparently you were one of the 11k that did see it.

Being a squad player for England is what exactly? you went until your 29 to play against Samoa in a mid season Test that nobody saw?

True...so why pick Luke Gale, arguably THE most disappointing player at Old Trafford?

Probably only because he worked with him last year and the reports he had this year. If we have to pick Brown it shows how light we are in the half backs. On the wing we are very fortunate with options.

21 minutes ago, Allora said:

They do not have the lethal players in attack to unlock Australia's and other teams defenses and they do not have the structure in defense to hold out more than they score IMO.

Spot on regarding "lethal" players required. I would have preferred the likes of Makinson for an example. Haven't got a problem with the forwards apart from the Aussie of course.

Just now, Allora said:

He scored a try, didn't see it as it was not on TV apparently you were one of the 11k that did see it.

Being a squad player for England is what exactly? you went until your 29 to play against Samoa in a mid season Test that nobody saw?

Ratchford has been in the England 24 for the last 4 years. He was in the 2014 4 Nations squad. 

Archived