England Squad Named

5 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Alternatively, players like Inglis, Hayne, Boyd, Munster, Dugan have all been expected to cover several back positions.

Ben Currie is fast enough to play centre (at least pre-injury). He's the fastest player at Warrington.

How slow are the outside backs?

It may be why Warrington are slipping when a Forward is the fastest man at the Club.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Allora said:

I agree but he has only played at Centre half a dozen times from over 100 Club games, will that translate to a Test Centre?

It will be difficult for sure. This is International RL's achilles' heel is that we simply do not play enough games to forge combinations or experiment. That's why I suggested they may try it in the 2nd and 3rd games against Lebanon and France and see how it goes.

There will always be contentious decisions when selecting a squad of players like this and people will always argue they know better. There are a couple of players like Brown and Heightington who are lucky to be included and a couple unlucky like Ward and Watts. But on a whole, it’s a relatively good squad and I genuinely think we’ll reach the final. 

Just now, GeordieSaint said:

There will always be contentious decisions when selecting a squad of players like this and people will always argue they know better. There are a couple of players like Brown and Heightington who are lucky to be included and a couple unlucky like Ward and Watts. But on a whole, it’s a relatively good squad and I genuinely think we’ll reach the final. 

I admire your support and confidence.

3 minutes ago, Allora said:

I admire your support and confidence.

I’m not making wild suggestions that we’ll turn over the Aussies on their home turf but there’s plenty of experience in this England side with some good quality. There was enough in that Samoa game (when people were making many suggestions we’d be beaten) and flashes last year to suggest to me this lot under Bennett will turn over NZ (or Tonga/Fiji) in a SF game. 

26 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I think it’s a big possibility . I remember Dave Woods on backchat earlier in the season saying ‘ Currie will play centre surely ? ‘ during a WC discussion , and I really don’t think Wayne would have been overly enamoured by what he’s had to pick from behind the scrum 

I think Bennett is a believer in picking (physically) big players in the three-quarters and Currie is about 10kg heavier than Percival, so I just wonder if that's the thinking. We'll see.

Just now, GeordieSaint said:

I’m not making wild suggestions that we’ll turn over the Aussies on their home turf but there’s plenty of experience in this England side with some good quality. There was enough in that Samoa game (when people were making many suggestions we’d be beaten) and flashes last year to suggest to me this lot under Bennett will turn over NZ (or Tonga/Fiji) in a SF game. 

I hope you are right Geordie.

I personally do not rate Bennett, he had his day in the Sun like may Coaches and players.

He is cashing in on his record from stacked NRL teams from the past IMO.

15 minutes ago, Allora said:

It may be why Warrington are slipping when a Forward is the fastest man at the Club.

I'd imagine Kevin Penny was by far the fastest player at Warrington, but they released him at the end of the season.

Just now, JonM said:

I'd imagine Kevin Penny was by far the fastest player at Warrington, but they released him at the end of the season.

Well you have to be fast and be able to catch and pass the ball as a prerequisite.

34 minutes ago, Allora said:

To be fair, Currie is freakishly fast (how many forwards can chase down Burrow from 50m out?) and if it wasn’t for his size and power I’m sure he’d be A creative centre with a great passing and even a good kicking game.

But yes, you have a point about our back line.   I’m pretty sure Joe Philbin is quicker than Lineham over 100m.   Good job we didn’t pay anything for him.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

13 minutes ago, Allora said:

Well you have to be fast and be able to catch and pass the ball as a prerequisite.

The Penny that came back to the club had lost a yard of pace but was one of the safest under the high ball (much more so than Russell or Evans).   Not sure about passing but wingers don’t do much anyway!

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

I am a little disappointed with the squad if I’m totally honest.

Brown, Ratchford, Hill all in the squad but massively underachieved at club level this year however Great for Currie hope he is fully fit though.

Heighingtons selection is the biggest disappointment especially when we have Ward and even Farrell (forgive me, I’m just a fan of his)

I’d have liked to see another centre Connor, Gildart, Griffin all good options. 

Tomkins would have been in for me instead of Brown

Watts for Hill (on form but Hill doesn’t normally let us down)

Makinson/ Shaul/ Eden instead of Ratchford 

Houghton is sooooo unlucky due to great options at hooker, I’m sure if he played in the NRL he’d be in.

McShane also unlucky for similar reasons.

With all this said I’ll be getting behind the boys and look forward to a semi with New Zealand!! ?

Happy with: 

John Bateman, Sam Burgess, Tom Burgess, Ben Currie, Luke Gale, James Graham, Ryan Hall, Chris Hill, Josh Hodgson, Jonny Lomax, Jermaine McGillvary, Mike McMeeken, Sean O'Loughlin, Mark Percival, James Roby, Scott Taylor, Alex Walmsley, Kallum Watkins, Elliott Whitehead, Gareth Widdop,

Not happy with: 

Kevin Brown, Chris Heighington, Stefan Ratchford, George Williams.

Would replace with:

Marc Sneyd, Stevie Ward (if fit) Jamie Shaul, and Jake Connor.

1 minute ago, Jason86 said:

Brown, Ratchford, Hill all in the squad but massively underachieved at club level this year however Great for Currie hope he is fully fit though.

Heighingtons selection is the biggest disappointment especially when we have Ward and even Farrell (forgive me, I’m just a fan of his)

Houghton is sooooo unlucky due to great options at hooker, I’m sure if he played in the NRL he’d be in.

With all this said I’ll be getting behind the boys and look forward to a semi with New Zealand!! ?

Good point Jason. 20 or 22 by the looks of it :tongue:

5 minutes ago, Jason86 said:

Needs to be in UPPER CASE to really make people take note! ?

8 minutes ago, Jason86 said:

Shenton also a great option, I just assumed he was in

32 minutes ago, BenGilesRL said:

Happy with: 

John Bateman, Sam Burgess, Tom Burgess, Ben Currie, Luke Gale, James Graham, Ryan Hall, Chris Hill, Josh Hodgson, Jonny Lomax, Jermaine McGillvary, Mike McMeeken, Sean O'Loughlin, Mark Percival, James Roby, Scott Taylor, Alex Walmsley, Kallum Watkins, Elliott Whitehead, Gareth Widdop,

Not happy with: 

Kevin Brown, Chris Heighington, Stefan Ratchford, George Williams.

Would replace with:

Marc Sneyd, Stevie Ward (if fit) Jamie Shaul, and Jake Connor.

Still not sure you need 12 props and backrowers to cover 5 + 3 positions in the 17.

Ratchford can play fullback very ably and has been Warrington's second-best player in 2017. He is in form and played well versus Samoa. He can cover right-centre too. 

I would have dropped a prop and brought in another three-quarter. Makinson and Connor good shouts.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Still not sure you need 12 props and backrowers to cover 5 + 3 positions in the 17.

Ratchford can play fullback very ably and has been Warrington's second-best player in 2017. He is in form and played well versus Samoa. He can cover right-centre too. 

I would have dropped a prop and brought in another three-quarter. Makinson and Connor good shouts.

Fair

Which would you drop?

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Hey, we are all behind Wayne. He is the mastermind that will win us the World Cup. Isn't he? :ph34r:

I think we should be.  One thing is, he's backing the players who he's seen play, first hand.  Secondly,  they know what is expected - remember his quotes about playing to the plan? - so, as a group that is familiar with his requirements, it is strong.

Imo a real positive is how many players we think should be in.  There's been years gone by when that's only been a couple, today it could have been 5 or 6, discounting Manfredi, Johnstone.

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I think we should be.  One thing is, he's backing the players who he's seen play, first hand.  Secondly,  they know what is expected - remember his quotes about playing to the plan? - so, as a group that is familiar with his requirements, it is strong.

Imo a real positive is how many players we think should be in.  There's been years gone by when that's only been a couple, today it could have been 5 or 6, discounting Manfredi, Johnstone.

For me the real shame is that Daryl Clark and Joe Burgess haven't kicked on the last couple of years. For pure speed they were a real asset in the squad. I have no problem with either missing out, just a shame really.

Archived