England Squad Named

aus now 2/9 to win the wc at William hills, even they know Bennett has blundered before it even starts, well they do have at least 8 world class full backs to choose from

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO

Ranking each position on domestic form (excludes credit for prior international performances)

Fullback 

Shaul, Tomkins, O’Brien, Ratchford, Lomax

Wing

Eden, Jones Bishop,  McGilvery, Makinson, Hall

Centre

Percival, Atkins, Watkins, Lynne, Cudjoe, Shenton

Halfbacks

McGuire, Gale, Sneyd, Patton, Williams, Richardson, Myler, 

Props

Watts, Walmsley, Taylor, Huby, Hill

Hookers

Roby, Houghton, Clarke, McShane

Second Row

Ashurst, McMeekin, Farrell, Bateman

Loose

Ward, O’Loughlin, Ellis, Milner, 

Aus based

Widdop, Greenwood, Whitehead, S Burgess, Hodgeson, Graham

2 hours ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

I am not sure I agree that Hall is past his best. Hall has never been a super-fast acrobatic winger but he is arguably the best physical finisher and kick return winger in the world. Since the corner flag is no longer ‘in touch’ we have seen some exceptional finishes from much faster and more acrobatic wingers than Hall but at international level where defences are better, those types of attributes are less likely to be as effective anyway.

Fair point, I just feel like he's in decline and isn't as involved in games.

6 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I think we should be.  One thing is, he's backing the players who he's seen play, first hand.  Secondly,  they know what is expected - remember his quotes about playing to the plan? - so, as a group that is familiar with his requirements, it is strong.

Imo a real positive is how many players we think should be in.  There's been years gone by when that's only been a couple, today it could have been 5 or 6, discounting Manfredi, Johnstone.

which coach coaches the formula of not sticking to the plan?

Just now, Saint 1 said:

Form doesn't matter as much as the outright quality of the player. If Inglis is in bad form, do you think Australia drop him for some random bloke who's had a few good games? If we know someone can produce at international level, keep them in. 

Which is why I put domestic form imo

As great as Ashurst has been as a back rower he’s probably too light for top tier internationals, so while I rate him as being Nō1 I wouldn’t necessarily select him.

8 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Halfbacks

McGuire, Gale, Sneyd, Patton, Williams, Richardson, Myler, 

Sorry I agree with some of that but the half backs one is OTT IMO. Williams gets a lot of stick but he has produced 29 Try Assists this year that is 5 more than McGuire, 11 more than Sneyd, 9 more than Gayle and 17 more than Patton.

bennetts "playing at it" from an arm chair in Brisbane- why not speed up the inevitable and boot him now - send dp and mac over with the "revised squad" theres still time

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

Probably only because he worked with him last year and the reports he had this year. If we have to pick Brown it shows how light we are in the half backs. On the wing we are very fortunate with options.

Agreed!

Just now, Scubby said:

Sorry I agree with some of that but the half backs one is OTT IMO. Williams gets a lot of stick but he has produced 29 Try Assists this year that is 5 more than McGuire, 11 more than Sneyd, 9 more than Gayle and 17 more than Patton.

It’s an opinion based on what I’ve seen Scubby, that’s all.

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

bennetts "playing at it" from an arm chair in Brisbane- why not speed up the inevitable and boot him now - send dp and mac over with the "revised squad" theres still time

Okay, it was just Daryl Powell a few weeks ago. Now he's bottled it in another big game he needs his buddy Brian McDermott :laugh:

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Have to agree. That is an incredible stat when you consider how woeful Wigan have been going forward.

Just now, OMEGA said:

It’s an opinion based on what I’ve seen Scubby, that’s all.

As I said I agree with some. There should have been an eye on succession with a couple of those squad places. Heighington offers nothing that Ward or Milner wouldn't give you. Those two have had fantastic seasons and are young and hungry.

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

For me the real shame is that Daryl Clark and Joe Burgess haven't kicked on the last couple of years. For pure speed they were a real asset in the squad. I have no problem with either missing out, just a shame really.

I can see that, but Roby has had a great mid to end of season.  For me, Clark could have gone as well.  Great impact off the bench and as you say, can't beat genuine speed.  I think JB has kicked on.  He's certainly a talent.  If injuries occur, both could get called up anyway.  Most will be on call.

Heighington & Currie.  Heighington has been interchange all year, but has made an impact every time he's come on with good numbers.  The 'lads' a good player and rarely makes errors.  His error was saying he didn't want to play any more!

Currie barely played.  That's a gamble imo.  Really hope I'm wrong.

Just now, Lowdesert said:

I can see that, but Roby has had a great mid to end of season.  For me, Clark could have gone as well.  Great impact off the bench and as you say, can't beat genuine speed.  I think JB has kicked on.  He's certainly a talent.  If injuries occur, both could get called up anyway.  Most will be on call.

Heighington & Currie.  Heighington has been interchange all year, but has made an impact every time he's come on with good numbers.  The 'lads' a good player and rarely makes errors.  His error was saying he didn't want to play any more!

Currie barely played.  That's a gamble imo.  Really hope I'm wrong.

Roby has been outstanding for a few months now. Agree.

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

As I said I agree with some. There should have been an eye on succession with a couple of those squad places. Heighington offers nothing that Ward or Milner wouldn't give you. Those two have had fantastic seasons and are young and hungry.

Milner definitely and succession is very valid.  

11 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Okay, it was just Daryl Powell a few weeks ago. Now he's bottled it in another big game he needs his buddy Brian McDermott :laugh:

since its getting late in the day- all hands on deck before Bennett does anymore damage

Bar a few , it is the predictable squad except for Tomkins that Bennett would pick.

Ratchford is very much his type of player , so is Heighington. Smacks of Currie in the centre at some point.

After Saturday's virtuoso performance behind a beaten pack not many people will fancy Gale against Australia bar them.

More to the point , it is a squad that was not good enough before , so it is not likely to vastly improve now.

Good luck lads , you will need it.

2 hours ago, Allora said:

How slow are the outside backs?

It may be why Warrington are slipping when a Forward is the fastest man at the Club.

I don't know if he's the fastest, but I watched a game where Warrington were playing Leeds (last season I think) and he caught Rob Burrow over a short distance when he was in the clear. I've never seen anyone do that. Of course the injury may have robbed him of some of that pace

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Hmmmm - not sure the balance of the squad is right and astounded that Kevin Brown is in there.  However, Wayne Bennett is one of the greatest coaches in the history of the game so i will hope he knows what he is doing...

Will be a cracking Semi Final if we end up playing NZ.  Cannot see anyone getting near Australia though.

Come on England!!!

What worries me with this squad is that a lot of players are pretty average and a lot of the star players for one reason or another not at their best.  Star players I'd say are:

Hodgson - hasn't played as well this year

O'Louglin - injury issues, age against him

Hall - slower and less involved than previously

Burgess - not as bright a star as 4 years ago

Graham - looks like he's feeling the miles a bit (may be harsh)

Roby - good form but not quite a supreme as he once was

Hill - poor team form and slightly sub-par form from him

Watkins - often disappoints at top level - we'll see

Gale - how badly will last weekend affect him?

Currie - poor team form, not long back from injury

McGilvary - poor team form, he may be ok

The only really good players left who also have good current from are: Whitehead, Bateman, Widdop

that squad smacks of laziness by Bennett, go through the motions, cash the cheque, blame the English infra structure, walk away, have a holiday, put it in the past, start a new nrl season next year as if nothing happened

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

that squad smacks of laziness by Bennett, go through the motions, cash the cheque, blame the English infra structure, walk away, have a holiday, put it in the past, stat a new nrl season as if nothing happened

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Johnny, you are a little ray of sunshine in a dark and scary world.

Thanks for being you.

Archived