Toronto (Merged threads)

1 hour ago, Bullish Giant Rhino said:

All fine and dandy but if that's the case then why aren't Toronto communicating this with their fans? Really poor to have no confirmed locations for fixtures and to not even know which side of the Atlantic they will be on! 

Confirmation is needed and quickly, will the Swinton game really be played in Canada? Can't see it myself as every game around it has been taken to the UK! The June games need comment too.

Imagine fans of any club (SL or not) not knowing which country the majority of their regular season games will be played in. Hull and Wigan are playing in Australia but that is only one match. This is really, really poor from the Wolfpack and they need to sort out this mess soon.

Yes it is , which is why they appear to be doing just that , sorting the pitch so that next season they can be more organised , Wigan have to miss matches in summer , Leigh also , yes Toronto's situation is more drastic than others due to the logistics , we at Leigh were told by our owner not to book until the match was confirmed 

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Captain Survival said:

I could not multiquote every interesting post I saw or this would be a mile long, but i will start by catching up on a few from earlier pages.

Absolutely! Sorry Kayman but I thought this was a brilliant repartee by Medway Bear, and certainly in the spirit of things....

Besides being incredibly nitpicky, I think it will come as a big disappointment to you that over here we really don't care.  Losing a game due to weather, construction etc is nothing anyone I know would even give the slightest thought.

I believe @Krzzystuff gave a good reply about this.  The powers that be felt that an attempt to attract some of the tens of thousands of Canadians living in London might be helpful not just for TWP but RL in general.  BTW my mind boggles at the fact Halifax to London is considered an inconvenience.  Its a good thing you don't live here.  Half the people in centers like Toronto, New York and Chicago commute almost as far just to get to work daily!   In any case do you really feel that anyone made anyone do something?  These are all professionals - I strongly suspect they would have looked at options together and decided on something best for the sport.  I am incredibly skeptical that anyone rammed this down someone's throat.  Do you have actual proof rather then just insinuation?

In respect of Nick, what would make you believe that?   TWP has already demonstrated that they are focused on developing talent.   Rowley developed lots of players when at Leigh,  and they seem to like him enough to sign up in droves for TWP when given the opportunity.

I believe there are lots of valid counterpoints to your contentions.  To give one example, Manchester University and U of Toronto are working on youth development.  TWP is sponsoring youth in both Canada, and Jamaica.  Its fragmented, but the overall number of youth playing RL in the USA in absolute terms is likely close if not larger then the UK pool.  The launch of more NA teams will help focus and drive that youth development.  We already know that Tonga and particularly PNG have notable youth development occurring.  France and Serbia seem to be invigorated.  I cannot speak to Australia or NZ but I understand youth development to be significant.

Again, I look to the parallel we Canadians experienced with the growth of the NHL.  Its living proof that a sport can migrate from one geography to many, grow in all, and support ever expanding professional leagues both national and international.  And Canada suffered from a much smaller population base spread across a vastly larger area - in every respect scales of economy were not in favour of growth of hockey.

I must admit, I didn't have the stamina to respond to these points last night. But it's great to read a measured and reasonable reply like this, without there being the need to resort to multiple rhetorical questions or the reliance on emotive language.

More of this quality and we'd have some cracking threads.

2 hours ago, Bullish Giant Rhino said:

Imagine fans of any club (SL or not) not knowing which country the majority of their regular season games will be played in. Hull and Wigan are playing in Australia but that is only one match. This is really, really poor from the Wolfpack and they need to sort out this mess soon.

Speak for yourself...The Toronto fans are very happy indeed.  We all know about the challenges we face and, starting from scratch last year, I think we've done pretty good.  If you don't like how our club operates go pound salt.

We seem to like to handle our problems internally and this too will get sorted.  its a one off.

11 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Speak for yourself...The Toronto fans are very happy indeed.  We all know about the challenges we face and, starting from scratch last year, I think we've done pretty good.  If you don't like how our club operates go pound salt.

We seem to like to handle our problems internally and this too will get sorted.  its a one off.

Just a question K , the pitch at Lamport , how old was it , and what ' grade ' ? , generally over here they are reffered to as ' G ' , as in 3 G , 4 G , Iv'e always assumed it was ' generation ' 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Just a question K , the pitch at Lamport , how old was it , and what ' grade ' ? , generally over here they are reffered to as ' G ' , as in 3 G , 4 G , Iv'e always assumed it was ' generation ' 

I walked on it once to check it out, its pretty old and tired. I don't know the actual specs but an upgrade was needed.  It is what it is.

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Does the question refer to to last season's surface or the new one being installed? From what I've read there are only fairly minor differences between 3G and 4G, but I'd be interested to hear otherwise from someone who knows more.

And there are some H&S concerns about the rubber particles used in such pitches, which may become a problem in the near future.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Does the question refer to to last season's surface or the new one being installed? From what I've read there are only fairly minor differences between 3G and 4G, but I'd be interested to hear otherwise from someone who knows more.

And there are some H&S concerns about the rubber particles used in such pitches, which may become a problem in the near future.

As I asked how old , I meant the last one , I assumed it was old and as I put in my previous post , most likely not good enough for SL therefore they have to improve it if they want to be promoted 

So better now than having to find a new venue next year 

12 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

As I asked how old , I meant the last one , I assumed it was old and as I put in my previous post , most likely not good enough for SL therefore they have to improve it if they want to be promoted 

So better now than having to find a new venue next year 

You gotta be willing to cut us some slack fellas...next season is really big for us and the home opener should be great (if the weather is good!)...stadiums just aren't a dime a dozen over here.  If this season goes well then some hard decisions will have to be made...but there is alot more water to paddle before we even get there....take one Point at a time and the Bays will take care of themselves.  One Point at a time.

2 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

You gotta be willing to cut us some slack fellas...next season is really big for us and the home opener should be great (if the weather is good!)...stadiums just aren't a dime a dozen over here.  If this season goes well then some hard decisions will have to be made...but there is alot more water to paddle before we even get there....take one Point at a time and the Bays will take care of themselves.  One Point at a time.

We at Leigh relay a pitch in 5 weeks. Why does it take Lamport 5 months?

5 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

The point I'm making is they are removing any potential barriers to being allowed into SL , fairly sure the pitch would have been one of them 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

The point I'm making is they are removing any potential barriers to being allowed into SL , fairly sure the pitch would have been one of them 

I'm not sure that is the actual reason why but it certainly will help any future promotion!

On 27/01/2018 at 12:32 AM, Adeybull said:

My own views on Toronto?

I feel sure that Toronto will be using their time in the UK competition to gain an understanding and background in the game, before (hopefully) becoming the nucleus around which the game in Canada and wider North America can be built and developed.The UK competition has become stale and sour and stagnant. Without the involvement of Toronto and Toulouse and (still) Catalans, and of UK non-"heartland" clubs, it could well die 

If Toronto succeed, they might just initiate a new northern hemisphere competition, over the pond, to totally revitalise the game. Ditto Toulouse in France.

or these reasons, I support bringing Toronto into the UK competition. I have no idea whether the experiment will succeed 

If you have “no idea” then why do you pontificate on France and Canada being the games saviour? You talk about our game dying, do you not know the Canadian RL game died out twice - in the 1960’s and early 2000’s - and they have very little activity now? No kids play. Union totally dominate and North America RU are going professional very soon, Canada RL are a failure by any measure.....

Perez wants 5-6 North American clubs in Superleague over a 10 year period, with TWP in 2019 and New York 2020 replacing probably Salford and Widnes. Then he wants 3-4 more to follow, by winning promotions to SL. This will be at the expense of clubs like Wakey, HKR, Huddersfield maybe even Cas. The North Americans don’t have a pro league or any decent players there so they have to get SL spots here and use our players. The return on this plan apparently comes with a $Billion dollar TV deal – but half our clubs won’t see it if it ever exists.

Quality players don’t grow on trees. Toulouse don’t grow any. If half a dozen English clubs are shunted out then they can’t run foundations and have no incentive to run Academies. Will fans put up with their clubs being demoted for foreign clubs to come here to take our SL places using our players?? It’s absurd. It's garbage. You think the game is dying yet what you propose will actually kill it.

For anyone to believe that Canada RL is the future is deluded, the only thing of substance they have isn't even Canadian, it's some rich Aussie. He's giving it 5 years then he's off, he may be off sooner once it sinks in SL bosses won't fall for this nonsense....

There is only enough players for 12 clubs, that has been established when we dropped to 12 from 14 and when SL examined a 13th. place for HKR and rejected it,. No doubt someone else delusional will be along soon to start talking about 20 SL clubs.

4 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

Perez wants 5-6 North American clubs in Superleague over a 10 year period, with TWP in 2019 and New York 2020. Then he wants 3-4 more to follow, by winning promotions to SL.

You think the game is dying yet what you propose will actually kill it.

Because if the Northern Hemisphere has 20 professional sides instead of 14, the game must be dying.

35 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

If you have “no idea” then why do you pontificate on France and Canada being the games saviour? You talk about our game dying, do you not know the Canadian RL game died out twice - in the 1960’s and early 2000’s - and they have very little activity now? No kids play. Union totally dominate and North America RU are going professional very soon, Canada RL are a failure by any measure.....

Perez wants 5-6 North American clubs in Superleague over a 10 year period, with TWP in 2019 and New York 2020 replacing probably Salford and Widnes. Then he wants 3-4 more to follow, by winning promotions to SL. This will be at the expense of clubs like Wakey, HKR, Huddersfield maybe even Cas. The North Americans don’t have a pro league or any decent players there so they have to get SL spots here and use our players. The return on this plan apparently comes with a $Billion dollar TV deal – but half our clubs won’t see it if it ever exists.

Quality players don’t grow on trees. Toulouse don’t grow any. If half a dozen English clubs are shunted out then they can’t run foundations and have no incentive to run Academies. Will fans put up with their clubs being demoted for foreign clubs to come here to take our SL places using our players?? It’s absurd. It's garbage. You think the game is dying yet what you propose will actually kill it.

For anyone to believe that Canada RL is the future is deluded, the only thing of substance they have isn't even Canadian, it's some rich Aussie. He's giving it 5 years then he's off, he may be off sooner once it sinks in SL bosses won't fall for this nonsense....

There is only enough players for 12 clubs, that has been established when we dropped to 12 from 14 and when SL examined a 13th. place for HKR and rejected it,. No doubt someone else delusional will be along soon to start talking about 20 SL clubs.

You are clearly demonstrating you have no idea at all.

2 hours ago, SL17 said:

We at Leigh relay a pitch in 5 weeks. Why does it take Lamport 5 months?

April until June was the original quote but it will be much faster with more resources ($$$) that I imagine the city wants TWP to pay for.

Not sure where the 5 months are coming from.

8 hours ago, The Parksider said:

You really are quite an unpleasant individual, aren’t you? Calling other people with contrary opinions “deluded” and accusing them of “pontificating”. I suggest you try responding to other people in a civilised and courteous manner.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

10 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

You really are quite an unpleasant individual, aren’t you? Calling other people with contrary opinions “deluded” and accusing them of “pontificating”. I suggest you try responding to other people in a civilised and courteous manner.

What’s wrong with being called deluded?

rldfsignature.jpg

14 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

He wants the attention. Why are you bothering giving it to him?

Just scroll past the lengthy responses he gives. I've noticed must people do these days. Saves having to miss half the topic because of the bickering with him.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

49 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Just scroll past the lengthy responses he gives. I've noticed must people do these days. Saves having to miss half the topic because of the bickering with him.

Then this would just become a back slapping flag waving site Wellsy, perhaps there should be a 'sanitised' sub forum set up where no one is allowed to question or have an opinion about any matters concerning the TWP. 

You know what they say about 'variety' well I much prefer that than being monotoned, if you don't want to hear other opinions talk to the "man in the mirror".

59 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I don’t have an issue with people expressing differing opinions; indeed it is often only by reading other POV that you learn things, or realise you need to revisit your own opinion? Albeit sometimes it can be very hard going! All I ask is that folk do others the common courtesy of engaging in civilised debate, and not feel the need to resort to insult and derision.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

Archived