BBC Toronto WP coverage

RayCee

Reasonable article, and doesn't dwell on what could be considered negative aspects - like a dual registration with a UK club (Bradford) to ensure UK players get as much game time as possible and cut down on travelling. Thanks for posting

31 minutes ago, ojx said:

Thanks for posting.

The article mentions:  "half of those attending had complimentary tickets".

I must not be part of the IN crowd, but where are these being given out? and why am I paying?

Bolding is mine.  Me neither ojx....in fact I'm a season ticket holder.  I'm hoping that this alleged situation in 2017 (oodles and oodles of freebie tickets), does not continue in 2018. I'm hoping it was a one-shot deal.  IMHO, if that's the only way for TWP to get b**s in the seats it does not auger well for the growth and sustainability of RL in Toronto/Canada.

2 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Bolding is mine.  Me neither ojx....in fact I'm a season ticket holder.  I'm hoping that this alleged situation in 2017 (oodles and oodles of freebie tickets), does not continue in 2018. I'm hoping it was a one-shot deal.  IMHO, if that's the only way for TWP to get b**s in the seats it does not auger well for the growth and sustainability of RL in Toronto/Canada.

Its false news!  Its been going on since the beginning with TWP and I'm starting to get a little sick of it and am losing my patience.

3 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Its false news!  Its been going on since the beginning with TWP and I'm starting to get a little sick of it and am losing my patience.

K-Man....I hear you ....I hear you.   However, I'd like TWP to come clean on the approximate number of complimentary tickets given out per game.  If it's more than 300 then I'm not a happy camper or even kayaker.  My wife and I went to 7 games last year at Lamport and we have Season Tickets for this year.  TWP have posted this BBC article on their Twitter account and I've asked them via a comment to address this "alleged" circumstance.  It's at the stage for me that silence is not golden.  And do you wanna go through this year like last year dealing with all the trolls and the Snideley Whiplashes going on and on about it on these forums?   Roll on Sunday.   Cheers.

10 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

And do you wanna go through this year like last year dealing with all the trolls and the Snideley Whiplashes going on and on about it on these forums?  

This is likely a forever thing unless some new teams come up and they start bashing them but once were in SL we will get a whole new wave. They're just words, they are frustrating but that's all.

on the matter of getting the details out i agree it would be better to get more news out there, maybe they will addresss it on the next BBC 5live or other RL podcast shows that Nobel and Rowley are know to frequent.

Again i believe that it was a fact for the first few games and especially for the home opener but as the season went on i expect the comp tickets diminished considerably, but without the clubs statement we won't know.

4 hours ago, Kayakman said:

That was the one thing that irked me about the article. A claim that gave a percentage figure but then wasn't backed up by any evidence. If the writer had said how he knew, then it's verifiable. Personally I don't believe anything like this, if it keeps being said but no one actually comes up with a source. The TWP need to come clean on this to stop the rumours. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

51 minutes ago, RayCee said:

That was the one thing that irked me about the article. A claim that gave a percentage figure but then wasn't backed up by any evidence. If the writer had said how he knew, then it's verifiable. Personally I don't believe anything like this, if it keeps being said but no one actually comes up with a source. The TWP need to come clean on this to stop the rumours. 

How many times do I have to say it...they don't have anything to come clean about, its a made up percentage figure that is not backed by any factual evidence...this is the power of false news.  Don't buy into it.

Speaking for myself (as a season ticket holder) I'm more than happy to pay 200, 300 or even 400 dlrs a season to support this club in bringing the greatest game in the world right to my doorstep and I'll bet most of the people filling Lamport weekend after weekend feel the same. Our first year in existence and we have super league attendance figures and I expect this to continue and grow as we move up the league. I challenge every supporter in the UK heartland to do the same for his or her favorite club. UK RL has gone international folks..embrace it!

47 minutes ago, Copa said:

It’s interesting that not a single TWP fan on this forum is aware of people getting free tickets. This makes me suspect the BBC claim lacked critical context.

I think that they ran with the home opener having a bunch of free tickets handed out and took that as the norm for the season...so it's a fact misrepresented? They can't just make stuff up...they are somewhat credible aren't they?

Damn Trump effect!!!

there is no such thing as investigative journalism any more these days...everyone with a twitter account prattles on and the media picks it up and runs with it and suddenly it's "fact".

While the BBC is better than most it's not immune to this bargain basement way of reporting..

1 hour ago, Copa said:

It’s interesting that not a single TWP fan on this forum is aware of people getting free tickets. This makes me suspect the BBC claim lacked critical context.

Its a sad state of affairs let me tell ya...I watched large lines of people paying.  Pretty well everyone I talked to at the games paid.  Thats one of the reasons why it took the crowd so long to settle into the game, alot of people were in the line to buy their tickets!

2 hours ago, Copa said:

I have said before that I AM aware there were free tickets distributed last year and I even won a pair at one point. I have no hard numbers myself, but I strongly believe that the number of free tickets per game was in the hundreds, not the thousands.

To most in the BBC, the idea that rugby league could be popular by people who are not coal mining troglodytes is strange.  I think they might just be trying to rationalise it.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On 02/02/2018 at 1:25 PM, Cameron Highlander said:

However, I'd like TWP to come clean on the approximate number of complimentary tickets given out per game.  

Show me one other club in a professional sport that has done that...

Their business model isn't anyone's "business" but their own. 

17 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

Show me one other club in a professional sport that has done that...

Their business model isn't anyone's "business" but their own. 

There is no problem, the article is incorrect, false news.  

Archived