Toronto v Swinton - Relocated

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Should be easy for Man of Kent to spot the empty seats then :)

Honestly don't know what some peoples issue is with Batley's pitch - it's the same for both sides, deal with it. Just another variable to contend with

I would have loved to have played a game on that pitch just to experience it...would have been a great memory.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Honestly don't know what some peoples issue is with Batley's pitch - it's the same for both sides, deal with it. Just another variable to contend with

It's the sort of thing which we'd never have imagined seeing in a first world country.

10 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

It's the sort of thing which we'd never have imagined seeing in a first world country.

What, hills?

There are plenty of hills in the North of England, I believe it's a natural occurring phenomena

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Should be easy for Man of Kent to spot the empty seats then :)

It’s always been variable. I used to think it was the Sherry at half time.

If there's one lesson I'd like all new clubs to learn it's don't start playing pro footy without a proper stadium and a long term deal.  Mucking about like this costs money and p***es off new fans who aren't as loyal as fans at historic clubs.  As London have learnt over and over again. 

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

What, hills?

There are plenty of hills in the North of England, I believe it's a natural occurring phenomena

No silly.  Stadiums with sloped fields.  To us that's the kind of thing which you might see in the third world but certainly not the first world.

1 hour ago, RayCee said:

I'm surprised at the 3,200 capacity. Presumably packed out will create a good atmosphere. Will there be a beer garden area? 

Of course there will be a beer garden...this is Canada.

11 hours ago, walter sobchak said:

No doubt. I was just wondering if these fans attending in markham would be fans that normally travel into downtown Toronto.

For quite a few fans...yes indeed.   It will be a 10 minute drive for us (the wife and me) that day instead of 1 hour+ to get to Lamport.

5 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

If there's one lesson I'd like all new clubs to learn it's don't start playing pro footy without a proper stadium and a long term deal.  Mucking about like this costs money and p***es off new fans who aren't as loyal as fans at historic clubs.  As London have learnt over and over again. 

Toronto joined with a proper stadium. It's just going through renovations at the moment. There's nothing wrong with Lamport. Most other clubs at this level would kill for a venue and location like it.

5 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

It’s a ninja emoji. How on earth did you come up with the idea it is Islamophobic ???

Everyone is looking to get offended these days. It makes them seem more righteous.

5 hours ago, PatBreeze said:

Toronto joined with a proper stadium. It's just going through renovations at the moment. There's nothing wrong with Lamport. Most other clubs at this level would kill for a venue and location like it.

They joined with a stadium that needed months of renovations at the start of the second season, meaning massive disruption to the positive momentum gained in year one and reducing the potential gains (in finance and atmosphere) from away support this year in the higher league and also upsetting twp season ticket holders who are only in their second season of following the club.  It's not good.

Most people in the Toronto area understand what it's like dealing with the city, and also understand it's a new team, and that even established teams have to find alternative venues sometimes. The Tiger-Cats had to play one year at the University of Guelph,  and half a season at McMaster while their new stadium was built. TFC had an extended away schedule to start the season two years ago because of finishing up construction and pitch growth at BMO. The Argos used to get shafted with all kinds of weird Tuesday games and uneven schedules due to the Blue Jays controlling Rogers Centre. It's a fact of life.

Oh, and it's a fact of life that Toronto teams aren't relying on any number of away fans for anything. 

Not that Fletcher's is ideal, far from it.  I'd have thought York, UofT, or even THF in Hamilton, but I bet Fletcher's cost even less than Lamport and is already set up for rugby.

4 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

They joined with a stadium that needed months of renovations at the start of the second season, meaning massive disruption to the positive momentum gained in year one and reducing the potential gains (in finance and atmosphere) from away support this year in the higher league and also upsetting twp season ticket holders who are only in their second season of following the club.  It's not good.

29 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

Not that Fletcher's is ideal, far from it.  I'd have thought York, UofT, or even THF in Hamilton, but I bet Fletcher's cost even less than Lamport and is already set up for rugby.

I understand your point Tre and the Reaper makes a good point.

This is not a big deal and not a major problem...just a small hiccup in the grand scheme of things....the renovation of Lamport turf is a one off and some  of the fans don't mind having the game at Fletchers (save me and others time). 

Canadians are a flexible bunch,and situations like thees are viewed as minor obstacles and not a big deal at all...no problem just a short term solution and back at it.  Also presents a unique opportunity (every cloud has a silver lining) and this is the perfect chance to form a positive relationship with the consortium of Union clubs that run Fletchers...instant player pool for the new league TWP are helping set up; this could turn out to be the best thing that ever happened!

38 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

Most people in the Toronto area understand what it's like dealing with the city, and also understand it's a new team, and that even established teams have to find alternative venues sometimes. The Tiger-Cats had to play one year at the University of Guelph,  and half a season at McMaster while their new stadium was built. TFC had an extended away schedule to start the season two years ago because of finishing up construction and pitch growth at BMO. The Argos used to get shafted with all kinds of weird Tuesday games and uneven schedules due to the Blue Jays controlling Rogers Centre. It's a fact of life.

Oh, and it's a fact of life that Toronto teams aren't relying on any number of away fans for anything. 

Judging by some of the comments on social media from Toronto based Canadian season ticket holders I'd suggest many new fans aren't happy and don't understand. 

Toronto teams may not rely on away fans normally, but it could have been a really good bonus this year in terms of atmosphere and showing locals just what UK RL fans are like with their singing and colour and numbers.  Had the fixtures been set in stone with plenty of notice you would have had an excellent away following from some clubs in this league and given them something really unique.

I'm a big fan of what TWP have done so far but I feel they've taken their eye off the ball here in an effort to save money on rent at a decent stadium for this year while the work was done.

44 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Judging by some of the comments on social media from Toronto based Canadian season ticket holders I'd suggest many new fans aren't happy and don't understand. 

Toronto teams may not rely on away fans normally, but it could have been a really good bonus this year in terms of atmosphere and showing locals just what UK RL fans are like with their singing and colour and numbers.  Had the fixtures been set in stone with plenty of notice you would have had an excellent away following from some clubs in this league and given them something really unique.

I'm a big fan of what TWP have done so far but I feel they've taken their eye off the ball here in an effort to save money on rent at a decent stadium for this year while the work was done.

The options were few....the problem was not of our making and beyond our scope of control....the best path was chosen and is now in play...its just a one off and of no major concern; minor speedbump...thats how I see it anyway.

1 minute ago, groundhopper said:

so 5000 season ticket holders

3200 capacity

Canada

Anyone who wants to get in should arrive no later than 15 mins after kick off

As stated previously, way more than 3200 hundred can be seated so calm down and take it easy....20-25 minutes after kickoff will be more okay to get a place.  Don't be in such a rush.

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 2:17 PM, Guest said:

3,200 capacity apparently. The Wolfpack could reach out and win over some new fans.

that's 3,200 seating capacity but there's plenty of standing areas

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.

does life get any better .

Archived