Toronto v Swinton - Relocated

8 hours ago, Kayakman said:

The options were few....the problem was not of our making and beyond our scope of control....the best path was chosen and is now in play...its just a one off and of no major concern; minor speedbump...thats how I see it anyway.

I'm sure the RFL will compensate should they be in agreement.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SL17 said:

I'm sure the RFL will compensate should they be in agreement.

I don't even know what that means or what you are getting at...please explain but if you are going to be rude and ignorant just forget it then.  Up to you.

7 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I don't even know what that means or what you are getting at...please explain but if you are going to be rude and ignorant just forget it then.  Up to you.

I'm not being rude..If you change venue it has to meet with RFL regulations. You just can't make your own up.

2 hours ago, SL17 said:

I'm not being rude..If you change venue it has to meet with RFL regulations. You just can't make your own up.

The new ground not only meets but actually exceeds all the standards...all regulations have been properly adhered to ...no issues on this end.

Just read it,  thanks for the link.

It all looks good to me. The best argument could be the line about looking good on tv, but it's also very clear that the board is free to decide either way regardless,  so presumably they did.

I tried to find the social media commentary showing significant amounts of TWP fans being upset about the moving of the game - sadly I failed other then 1or 2 posts which I thought were a bit contrarian just for the sake of matters - not unlike some of the people I find posting on this forum in fact....

Lets just hope we don't encounter this rather typical Canadian traffic on our way to Fletchy's field given that some apparently believe it to be somewhere in the midst of the boonies (not unlike most of Cumbria I imagine):

https://i.imgur.com/yHsmUkw.gifv

Mind you I live in the utopian mecca of Oakville (and it really is all that as all the other jealous Canadians will attest)  and in this jewel of urban suburbia by the lakeshore in the last few days I have encountered 6 wild turkeys landing in my backyard, a pair of red foxes has parked over one block making their little den under a garage and have already (thankfully) commenced putting a dent into the local squirrel population.  I will however have to have a word if they go near my favorite chipmunks.  There is also a young skunk for whom I put out lettuce from time to time and I have to figure out what to do about the danger they present to her.   A family of 5 dear did visit a few doors down on the weekend and ate all of one type of foliage but they did not really present much of a traffic issue given I am on a sidestreet. Finally I am told the pair of red hawks have returned to their favorite tree (its 9 stories tall whereas all the other trees in the neighbourhood are only 8 stories tall) but I have yet to see them.  Once they have their chicks I will spot them for sure - they are really loud buggers when they are all out circling and trying to teach the chicks to fly.

Honestly, my first thought upon hearing about the game being moved was "who gives a frack" and my second was "of course the City of Toronto screwed up the field renovation timing" and my third thought was "this was quite clever of TWP to make this inroad into union territory".  I think they will find a way to squeeze 5K plus into the venue and it makes good sense if the usual portion can be fashionably late in 15 minute intervals. 

Of course there will be a beer garden, but when will someone finally get a Beavertails at a game.  Its really irksome that they are not there.  Or was it just that the 2 games I got to last year I missed them?  One should not have to go skate on the canal at -40 in Ottawa in order to get a good beavertail.  Its tailormade for an event like rugby so I hope someone gets their ass in gear and starts serving them at the games.

It must really be driving the haters bonkers that TWP, despite their awful coach, and rental players, and co-founder who is missing but somehow I have spotted at all the games and....(its a long list of detrimental facts and negatives) are sitting high and mighty on top of the table.  Oh the unfairness of it all! :girlwerewolf:

8 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

It does seem strange after posting 7 K attendances to move a game ( the 1 st of the season at home ) to a venue with close to half that capacity 

I imagine other venues were more costly and that, given it's just one game, choosing a stadium that's already set up for rugby simplifies things.

8 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

It does seem strange after posting 7 K attendances to move a game ( the 1 st of the season at home ) to a venue with close to half that capacity 

That is the seating capacity. They will be able to squeeze more in around the three other sides. 

7 hours ago, TheReaper said:

Just read it,  thanks for the link.

It all looks good to me. The best argument could be the line about looking good on tv, but it's also very clear that the board is free to decide either way regardless,  so presumably they did.

Actually I think the best argument is spectator safety. Surely you have guidelines to follow? 

Fletcher's Fields holds 8,000 with additional seating put around the field.

Here is a picture of a an International Rugby Union game played there about 20 years ago:

IMG_0407.JPG.eae4239b1a7c42633dfd8bac63e774eb.JPG

It is an old school rugby venue that is the home field of five amateur XV clubs from around Toronto: Aurora Barbarians, Markham Irish, Toronto Saracens, Toronto Nomads and Toronto Scottish.  

It should be a good day out and the Wolfpack should get a lot of Union fans out to watch as well.  I'm going to make the two and a half hour drive down to Toronto for this game and look forward to the match.

I know people are complaining about venues but we have a big problem in Canada with lack of suitable mid-sized stadiums.  You either get 60k seater stadiums designed for Canadian Football League teams or you get fields like this.

5 hours ago, Captain Survival said:

I tried to find the social media commentary showing significant amounts of TWP fans being upset about the moving of the game - sadly I failed other then 1or 2 posts which I thought were a bit contrarian just for the sake of matters - not unlike some of the people I find posting on this forum in fact....

Lets just hope we don't encounter this rather typical Canadian traffic on our way to Fletchy's field given that some apparently believe it to be somewhere in the midst of the boonies (not unlike most of Cumbria I imagine):

Mind you I live in the utopian mecca of Oakville (and it really is all that as all the other jealous Canadians will attest)  and in this jewel of urban suburbia by the lakeshore in the last few days I have encountered 6 wild turkeys landing in my backyard, a pair of red foxes has parked over one block making their little den under a garage and have already (thankfully) commenced putting a dent into the local squirrel population.  I will however have to have a word if they go near my favorite chipmunks.  There is also a young skunk for whom I put out lettuce from time to time and I have to figure out what to do about the danger they present to her.   A family of 5 dear did visit a few doors down on the weekend and ate all of one type of foliage but they did not really present much of a traffic issue given I am on a sidestreet. Finally I am told the pair of red hawks have returned to their favorite tree (its 9 stories tall whereas all the other trees in the neighbourhood are only 8 stories tall) but I have yet to see them.  Once they have their chicks I will spot them for sure - they are really loud buggers when they are all out circling and trying to teach the chicks to fly.

Honestly, my first thought upon hearing about the game being moved was "who gives a frack" and my second was "of course the City of Toronto screwed up the field renovation timing" and my third thought was "this was quite clever of TWP to make this inroad into union territory".  I think they will find a way to squeeze 5K plus into the venue and it makes good sense if the usual portion can be fashionably late in 15 minute intervals. 

Of course there will be a beer garden, but when will someone finally get a Beavertails at a game.  Its really irksome that they are not there.  Or was it just that the 2 games I got to last year I missed them?  One should not have to go skate on the canal at -40 in Ottawa in order to get a good beavertail.  Its tailormade for an event like rugby so I hope someone gets their ass in gear and starts serving them at the games.

It must really be driving the haters bonkers that TWP, despite their awful coach, and rental players, and co-founder who is missing but somehow I have spotted at all the games and....(its a long list of detrimental facts and negatives) are sitting high and mighty on top of the table.  Oh the unfairness of it all! :girlwerewolf:

Not everyone who wants to debate some of the issues around TWP operations is a "hater".  Far from it in my case. I think they're fantastic in general. 

5 hours ago, Captain Survival said:

Those are just zoo escapees...if you want the real thing come North into my neck of the woods...we even got groundhogs up here!  Watch out for the vicious teeth though!

brown-lemming.jpg

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

Actually I think the best argument is spectator safety. Surely you have guidelines to follow? 

What is the issue with 'spectator safety' issues?  All guidelines/codes have been followed and are currently in place.

4 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

What is the issue with 'spectator safety' issues?  All guidelines/codes have been followed and are currently in place.

Probably none. As the saying goes if you throw enough #### some of it will stick

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 3:21 PM, Big Picture said:

On the plus side though, unlike places like Batley the field will at least be level even if the venue is substandard in every other respect.

Do you know I'm struggling to put the TWP in the same sentence as "level playing field". ;)

4 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

Fletcher's Fields holds 8,000 with additional seating put around the field.

Here is a picture of a an International Rugby Union game played there about 20 years ago:

IMG_0407.JPG.eae4239b1a7c42633dfd8bac63e774eb.JPG

It is an old school rugby venue that is the home field of five amateur XV clubs from around Toronto: Aurora Barbarians, Markham Irish, Toronto Saracens, Toronto Nomads and Toronto Scottish.  

It should be a good day out and the Wolfpack should get a lot of Union fans out to watch as well.  I'm going to make the two and a half hour drive down to Toronto for this game and look forward to the match.

I know people are complaining about venues but we have a big problem in Canada with lack of suitable mid-sized stadiums.  You either get 60k seater stadiums designed for Canadian Football League teams or you get fields like this.

Thanks for that, at least someone can actually post facts, not just speculation.

2 hours ago, SL17 said:

Thanks for that, at least someone can actually post facts, not just speculation.

The field itself is actually very nice, I've played on it before and the main pitch (there are five practice pitches) is very nice.  There is a nice big bar and the club house is very nice with a big club lounge and decent changing rooms.  

It will probably remind people of when the Wolfpack played Siddal except the ground can be improved for big matches.  The purists and people who love community rugby will love it as that is what it is, a true community rugby park.

12 hours ago, Captain Survival said:

Having spent the last two summers in Oakvile (ryland avenue on lakeshore) I can pretty much agree with all of the above except for the skunks, the smell from them can go for miles.

Then again you have to go to different stores for your booze and and food and have to put garden waste in brown bags leaving me to deduce it’s just a weird place.

2 hours ago, northamptoncougar said:

Having spent the last two summers in Oakvile (ryland avenue on lakeshore) I can pretty much agree with all of the above except for the skunks, the smell from them can go for miles.

Then again you have to go to different stores for your booze and and food and have to put garden waste in brown bags leaving me to deduce it’s just a weird place.

I speak for the rest of the people in the Province of Ontario: "It is a weird place.  Oakville is weird and strange; a bubble if you will...people from there are unique and quickly stand out in all cultural exchanges with their fellow Canadians."

It it the stuff from which good standup comedy is made!

On 4/9/2018 at 9:56 PM, Tre Cool said:

If there's one lesson I'd like all new clubs to learn it's don't start playing pro footy without a proper stadium and a long term deal.  Mucking about like this costs money and p***es off new fans who aren't as loyal as fans at historic clubs.  As London have learnt over and over again. 

It’s pretty temporary Tre. They are not going to do this every year

Archived