Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

6 minutes ago, Josef K said:

Looking at the films on terrestrial tv it seems as if the channels that show movies only have around fifteen films between the lot of them. Some of the films are great as i love B&W movie, but i often think there have been thousands of films made from the 1930’s onwards. Does anyone know why there isn’t much choice!!!!. 

Essentially because the rights to all these older films have lapsed and so these channels don't have to pay anyone for them to be allowed to screen them. This is why you can legally watch loads and loads of old films on YouTube but streams of newer films put up are immediately taken down. 

25 minutes ago, Josef K said:

Looking at the films on terrestrial tv it seems as if the channels that show movies only have around fifteen films between the lot of them. Some of the films are great as i love B&W movie, but i often think there have been thousands of films made from the 1930’s onwards. Does anyone know why there isn’t much choice!!!!. 

Talking Pictures TV is the place for movies that rarely get shown anywhere else.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Essentially because the rights to all these older films have lapsed and so these channels don't have to pay anyone for them to be allowed to screen them. This is why you can legally watch loads and loads of old films on YouTube but streams of newer films put up are immediately taken down. 

Ah i see thanks for that Goose. I love the film Sergeant York but i think i have only seen it on terrestrial tv once. My Pa used to love Gary Cooper. 

24 minutes ago, Josef K said:

Ah i see thanks for that Goose. I love the film Sergeant York but i think i have only seen it on terrestrial tv once. My Pa used to love Gary Cooper. 

Yeah, a lot of these really small channels operate on tiny budgets as you can imagine, so if they can get a lot of content for very little money then that's great. 

I think it was Talking Pictures TV, that @Futtocks mentions, that I saw a documentary about where it said the channel is genuinely just operated out of a man's spare bedroom. He had a large collection of old films and TV series and decided to create the channel to show them, and people now quite often send him rare old films and TV to show. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Yeah, a lot of these really small channels operate on tiny budgets as you can imagine, so if they can get a lot of content for very little money then that's great. 

I think it was Talking Pictures TV, that @Futtocks mentions, that I saw a documentary about where it said the channel is genuinely just operated out of a man's spare bedroom. He had a large collection of old films and TV series and decided to create the channel to show them, and people now quite often send him rare old films and TV to show. 

CBS News did a short report on TPTV that shows how the channel runs.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, Josef K said:

Does anyone know why there isn’t much choice!!!!. 

Laziness from schedulers, rights lapsing and so not included in package film deals and ... this sort of thing..

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, Josef K said:

Another reason is companies like Disney gathering everything of their (plus anything else they can get) in to their own platform, so their titles no longer become an option for general TV channels.

When you consider how all the legendary production companies of Hollywood gradually merged into a few mega-corporations, that's a lot of great movies.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 04/04/2024 at 19:43, Futtocks said:

Another reason is companies like Disney gathering everything of their (plus anything else they can get) in to their own platform, so their titles no longer become an option for general TV channels.

When you consider how all the legendary production companies of Hollywood gradually merged into a few mega-corporations, that's a lot of great movies.

They must have 'Eating Raoul ' from Paul Bartel , darkly comic and a must see. I saw it when it first came out in the 80's but have yet to see it on any TV listings.

5 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

They must have 'Eating Raoul ' from Paul Bartel , darkly comic and a must see. I saw it when it first came out in the 80's but have yet to see it on any TV listings.

https://youtu.be/HYUa2me7cYI

• Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

After prompting by the ginger one -

Palm Springs, great film, great soundtrack, 90 mins, all round good.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Has anyone seen the film 'Studs', from 2006, starring Brendan Gleeson, about Sunday league football? 

I saw it around the time it came out but its so obscure it doesn't even have a Wikipedia page, and I haven't seen it since, on tv or even a dvd in a charity shop, but discovered it is on YouTube so will probably give it another watch because I've been watching a few films recently with football as the theme. 

11 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Has anyone seen the film 'Studs', from 2006, starring Brendan Gleeson, about Sunday league football? 

I saw it around the time it came out but its so obscure it doesn't even have a Wikipedia page, and I haven't seen it since, on tv or even a dvd in a charity shop, but discovered it is on YouTube so will probably give it another watch because I've been watching a few films recently with football as the theme. 

Heard of it but never seen it.

I watched ‘We will soar’ on Prime.  The story of young lads and a lass, completing an American football scholarship in fort lauderdale.  I won’t spoil the story but it was very humbling and these kids showed so much respect for the college staff.  Worth a watch.

On 19/04/2024 at 23:12, Bedford Roughyed said:

After prompting by the ginger one -

Palm Springs, great film, great soundtrack, 90 mins, all round good.  

Yes very enjoyable , never come across Cristin Milioti the female lead before , really good actress.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Stirlin said:

Yes very enjoyable , never come across Cristin Milioti the female lead before , really good actress.

I remember looking her up at the time I saw the film and being surprised how few movies she'd done. Looking again on wiki just now, it looks like a lot of fairly okay TV roles in her career but no films since Palm Springs.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Looking at the cast this should great on paper...it is almost curiously rubbish 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5862166/

I hadn't heard of this film so just looked it up and saw it has a 0% rating on Rotten Tomatoes! That's not something you see very often! Of course I decided for myself it must be rubbish when I saw Robert Patrick is in it. 

36 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I hadn't heard of this film so just looked it up and saw it has a 0% rating on Rotten Tomatoes! That's not something you see very often! Of course I decided for myself it must be rubbish when I saw Robert Patrick is in it. 

It has a very strange format.....Travolta narrates his own story of a very cliched whiskey drinking and smoking detective 

Because such big people are in it we got through it....

4 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It has a very strange format.....Travolta narrates his own story of a very cliched whiskey drinking and smoking detective 

Because such big people are in it we got through it....

His rugs get worse with every film .

• Haha 1

Travolta can do weird stuff. Sometimes he almost carries it off, like 1996's Michael and sometimes you wonder about his sanity, like 2019's The Fanatic.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Travolta can do weird stuff. Sometimes he almost carries it off, like 1996's Michael and sometimes you wonder about his sanity, like 2019's The Fanatic.

You always wonder about his sanity. He's a scientologist.