Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

On 31/08/2023 at 12:02, Gerrumonside ref said:

Watched recent release ‘Dungeons & Dragons: Honour Amongst Thieves’ on Sky Movies.  I don’t know too much about the role playing D&D other than it has had a recent renaissance in popular culture.

I was skeptical whether I would enjoy this as I’m not usually a big fan of CGI fest or fantasy stuff.  But it’s a really well told exciting ripping yarn that has a lot of humour in it and pokes fun at itself.

The characters are likeable and therefore when thrown in danger you feel invested in what happens.  It has great pace and witty dialogue that I don’t often relate to films with set piece CGI.

Fun for all.

9/10

I enjoyed it at the pics, I wasn’t expecting a good film at the time so was pleasantly surprised. I liked the nod to the cartoon D&D  I watched as a child also

• Like 1

On 31/08/2023 at 12:02, Gerrumonside ref said:

Watched recent release ‘Dungeons & Dragons: Honour Amongst Thieves’ on Sky Movies.  I don’t know too much about the role playing D&D other than it has had a recent renaissance in popular culture.

I was skeptical whether I would enjoy this as I’m not usually a big fan of CGI fest or fantasy stuff.  But it’s a really well told exciting ripping yarn that has a lot of humour in it and pokes fun at itself.

The characters are likeable and therefore when thrown in danger you feel invested in what happens.  It has great pace and witty dialogue that I don’t often relate to films with set piece CGI.

Fun for all.

9/10

I enjoyed that.  Thank you.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not sure where to put this as there isn’t a thread for interpretative dance concerts!

But last Friday went seeing ‘Free Your Mind’ The Matrix themed production at the Factory International in Manchester in the Castlefield area.

All performed via the medium of dance with indoor pyro produced by Danny Boyle (director of Trainspotting and the London Olympics opening ceremony).

It was Matrix themed with nods to Turing and even Richard Arkwright plus more recent Manchester culture.  The first act was in a traditional theatre setting then an interval in the main foyer which has been designed with nods to the old Hacienda nightclub.

The second act though was standing upstairs (with seating for those who required it) in front of centred catwalk complete with a huge modulating screen and performers weaving in and out of the audience to add to the immersion.

I thought it worked well and keen enthusiasts of the Matrix film would have seen their favourite scenes recreated with intense dance choreography.

We’d bought the tickets as a group some months ago to mark the opening of the building and they cost £40 each which I’m informed is good value for this kind of thing.  We spoke to people involved in the production who told us of the big plans for it.

I can't wait for Ridley Scott's upcoming Napoleon biopic and on the History Hit YouTube channel he has done a video in which he examines and explains the battle sequences from his film. Great video giving some fantastic insight into the making of the film. Definitely give it a watch if you're wanting to see the film a much as I am! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/11/2023 at 21:51, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I can't wait for Ridley Scott's upcoming Napoleon biopic and on the History Hit YouTube channel he has done a video in which he examines and explains the battle sequences from his film. Great video giving some fantastic insight into the making of the film. Definitely give it a watch if you're wanting to see the film a much as I am! 

Okay, I'm getting ready for Napoleon, work this morning then cinema in the afternoon. My local cinemas first showing is at 12.20 so don't have to wait long after work. I'm going into this as open-minded as I can but I am aware of a few of the historical inaccuracies in it. They're not really in your face, obvious things as such; I know them simply because it's one of my favourite historical periods and I've studied it a lot but the average movie goer in the street wouldn't know them so I'm staying positive. I'll let you all know what I think of the film later this afternoon! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Okay, I'm getting ready for Napoleon, work this morning then cinema in the afternoon. My local cinemas first showing is at 12.20 so don't have to wait long after work. I'm going into this as open-minded as I can but I am aware of a few of the historical inaccuracies in it. They're not really in your face, obvious things as such; I know them simply because it's one of my favourite historical periods and I've studied it a lot but the average movie goer in the street wouldn't know them so I'm staying positive. I'll let you all know what I think of the film later this afternoon! 

Enjoy, no spoilers please 🙂

• Like 1

I've seen Napoleon. I'll try not to give any spoilers. 

I found it one of the most boring and dull films I've ever seen. It looks so miserable and bland; why make a film in colour when it's gonna look so miserable?

For a biopic there is very little character development and very little information offered about the every day life of Napoleon despite the majority of the film being about his relationship with his Empress.

The Napoleonic Wars were treated almost as an after thought with the few battle scenes lasting for only a couple of minutes each and the entire Russian campaign being given only about 10 minutes of film with absolutely no mention at all of such important battles like Trafalgar and Leipzig.

There was not one decent acting performance in the film with Joaquin Phoenix's portrayal of Napoleon one of the dullest, driest, most monotoned and emotionless performances ever. For 2 1/2 hours he basically sits around with a scowl on his face talking in a bored, American accent with absolutely no other emotion creeping in at all. 

It really felt like the film needed another couple of hours adding to it with the scenes seeming to be very individual and not flowing cleanly together. It felt so haphazardly thrown together and I really got the impression that Ridley Scott has no interest or passion in the subject matter. If you're gonna treat the subject matter with such little respect and throw together something this poor then give it to a director that cares. 

Napoleon is a BAD film. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've seen Napoleon. I'll try not to give any spoilers. 

I found it one of the most boring and dull films I've ever seen. It looks so miserable and bland; why make a film in colour when it's gonna look so miserable?

For a biopic there is very little character development and very little information offered about the every day life of Napoleon despite the majority of the film being about his relationship with his Empress.

The Napoleonic Wars were treated almost as an after thought with the few battle scenes lasting for only a couple of minutes each and the entire Russian campaign being given only about 10 minutes of film with absolutely no mention at all of such important battles like Trafalgar and Leipzig.

There was not one decent acting performance in the film with Joaquin Phoenix's portrayal of Napoleon one of the dullest, driest, most monotoned and emotionless performances ever. For 2 1/2 hours he basically sits around with a scowl on his face talking in a bored, American accent with absolutely no other emotion creeping in at all. 

It really felt like the film needed another couple of hours adding to it with the scenes seeming to be very individual and not flowing cleanly together. It felt so haphazardly thrown together and I really got the impression that Ridley Scott has no interest or passion in the subject matter. If you're gonna treat the subject matter with such little respect and throw together something this poor then give it to a director that cares. 

Napoleon is a BAD film. 

Never mind , he is doing Gladiator 2 next year.

I watched Hatari! last night. My brother is a big John Wayne and Howard Hawks fan and is currently showing me all their films. I enjoyed the film and thought the subject matter was very unique; I can't recall ever seeing another film about professional big game hunting. Howard Hawks is a great director but I'm not entirely convinced by John Wayne yet. We watched El Dorado a couple of days ago which is both of them again and I can't help thinking that John Wayne is exactly the same in everything, despite these two films being so different. 

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I watched Hatari! last night. My brother is a big John Wayne and Howard Hawks fan and is currently showing me all their films. I enjoyed the film and thought the subject matter was very unique; I can't recall ever seeing another film about professional big game hunting. Howard Hawks is a great director but I'm not entirely convinced by John Wayne yet. We watched El Dorado a couple of days ago which is both of them again and I can't help thinking that John Wayne is exactly the same in everything, despite these two films being so different. 

John Wayne didn't vary his performance much in his film roles, whether playing a genial Irish emigré in The Quiet Man or Genghis Khan in The Conqueror. He'd found a screen persona that worked at a relatively early stage of his career, and it was up to writers and directors to maximise the effectiveness of his performance, not change it to fit a story.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 23/11/2023 at 08:17, Futtocks said:

John Wayne didn't vary his performance much in his film roles, whether playing a genial Irish emigré in The Quiet Man or Genghis Khan in The Conqueror. He'd found a screen persona that worked at a relatively early stage of his career, and it was up to writers and directors to maximise the effectiveness of his performance, not change it to fit a story.

Would it be fair to say that directors respected John Wayne as an actor so much that they were happy to tailor their film, and specifically his role, to him rather than have him tailor his performance to the role? 

6 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Would it be fair to say that directors respected John Wayne as an actor so much that they were happy to tailor their film, and specifically his role, to him rather than have him tailor his performance to the role? 

Or that John Wayne being John Wayne was a very bankable box office asset.

His screen persona still speaks strongly to a certain type of American male who likes to think of themselves as a tough, rugged, straight-talking individualist. Especially if they are nothing of the sort.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nyad - Fairly run of the mill biopic, but Jodie Foster and Annette Bening put in great performances.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

9 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Especially if they are nothing of the sort.

Which rather sums up the (draft dodging?) John Wayne.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

This evening, I shall to the cinema to see Dr Strangelove on the big screen. I could probably recite it line by line from the start anyway but I am looking forward to it. I may even have a beer whilst watching, such is the nature of the Electric Palace cinema.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

35 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

This evening, I shall to the cinema to see Dr Strangelove on the big screen. I could probably recite it line by line from the start anyway but I am looking forward to it. I may even have a beer whilst watching, such is the nature of the Electric Palace cinema.

Stanley Kubrick. The greatest director of all time. No one comes close. 

Enjoy the film mate, really wish I could come see it with you! 

• Like 1