Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

You always wonder about his sanity. He's a scientologist.

Plus there are other lifestyle rumours. But when he's good, he's good.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Unfrosted - the pop tart story.

Looks like it’s been panned by the critics but I thought it was decent.  Solid 6/10.  Daft and filled with more stars than seemingly possible.  And it is daft and irrelevant.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I watched 21 Jump Street last night and loved it! I've never seen the original TV series but loved this film.

Not normally a big fan of Jonah Hill or Channing Tatum but thought they were great in this. Perfect mix of action and teen comedy. I watched it because I'm a fan of teen comedies and it didn't disappoint.

It was also a nice touch towards the end when Johnny Depp and his co-star from the original series turned up playing their characters from that series, making this film a sequel to the series really, rather than a remake or a reimagining. 

So I will definitely be watching 22 Jump Street today!

• Like 1

Watched the new Japanese "Godzilla Minus One" - Very good monster movie, probably the best/most enjoyment I have had watching a Godzilla movie.

It is all in Japanese with subtitles, which puts some people off!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I watched 21 Jump Street last night and loved it! I've never seen the original TV series but loved this film.

Not normally a big fan of Jonah Hill or Channing Tatum but thought they were great in this. Perfect mix of action and teen comedy. I watched it because I'm a fan of teen comedies and it didn't disappoint.

It was also a nice touch towards the end when Johnny Depp and his co-star from the original series turned up playing their characters from that series, making this film a sequel to the series really, rather than a remake or a reimagining. 

So I will definitely be watching 22 Jump Street today!

I watched 22 Jump Street today. Just as good, just as enjoyable as the first one, two really great films that I'll definitely be diving into again sometime, and I must say watching these has made me curious about the original TV series as well.

The Last Kumite (2024). A throwback to Eighties martial arts movies, and a movie which I helped get made via my Kickstarter donation.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

39 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

There's a bloke comes in my place of work regularly who is the absolute spitting image of Malcolm McDowell. I have never, ever seen someone look so like someone else!

We used get regular maintenance visits from the telecom company we used at work and he was Simon Pegg's absolute  doppelganger. He even sounded a bit like him.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Team America . World Police.........Thunderbirds with the swear filter removed.

from the 2 blokes responsible for South Park , hits the mark on so many levels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stirlin said:

Team America . World Police.........Thunderbirds with the swear filter removed.

from the 2 blokes responsible for South Park , hits the mark on so many levels.

It was one in the eye for the "you couldn't make <insert name of film> these days" bores of the time, and it still holds up today.

Apparently the whole marionette thing was miles more difficult to pull off than the South park guys anticipated, so I doubt they'll ever go down that route again.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 hours ago, Futtocks said:

It was one in the eye for the "you couldn't make <insert name of film> these days" bores of the time, and it still holds up today.

Apparently the whole marionette thing was miles more difficult to pull off than the South park guys anticipated, so I doubt they'll ever go down that route again.

......it made it funnier , especially the bonking.😆

• Haha 1

Watched early 80s classic uk film Meantime last night on YouTube , realistic portrayal of its time and years since i last watched it( possibly have to dig out Made in Britain next) Tim Roth, Phil Daniel’s, Gary Oldman and Pam Ferris all star in it

With the D Day anniversary upcoming, I watched "The Longest Day" yesterday.  Has there ever been a worse actor than John Wayne?  He speaks every word as though he were reading entries in a phone book.  He plays the same part no matter who he is playing.  Ok he was big and good looking and could ride a horse, but please actor????

Same goes to a lesser extent to another star of this movie.  Richard Burton, he speaks every line as though he were on stage at Stratford, for me he totally lacked the talent to act on screen.  

I doubt if this movie could ever be remade, even with CGI. Shame really.  It could do with some better acting performances from the English speaking cast.

• Like 1

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

12 minutes ago, Trojan said:

With the D Day anniversary upcoming, I watched "The Longest Day" yesterday.  Has there ever been a worse actor than John Wayne?  He speaks every word as though he were reading entries in a phone book.  He plays the same part no matter who he is playing.  Ok he was big and good looking and could ride a horse, but please actor????

Same goes to a lesser extent to another star of this movie.  Richard Burton, he speaks every line as though he were on stage at Stratford, for me he totally lacked the talent to act on screen.  

I doubt if this movie could ever be remade, even with CGI. Shame really.  It could do with some better acting performances from the English speaking cast.

I couldn't agree more about John Wayne and this is a heated debate I have with Brother Goose quite often because he loves John Wayne. As you say, absolutely the same in everything.

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I couldn't agree more about John Wayne and this is a heated debate I have with Brother Goose quite often because he loves John Wayne. As you say, absolutely the same in everything.

John Wayne fans wanted to see John Wayne. Even when he was playing Ghengis Khan. Not to my taste, but then neither is the glaringly obvious "give me awards!" type of Method Acting* at the other end of the spectrum.

*I think it was Humphrey Bogart who referred to it as "scratch your ass and belch" acting.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Trojan said:

Has there ever been a worse actor than John Wayne?  He speaks every word as though he were reading entries in a phone book.  He plays the same part no matter who he is playing.  Ok he was big and good looking and could ride a horse, but please actor????

And yet, go to serious film magazine Sight & Sound, and their top 1000 films of all time. (The top is a subtitled thing no one has ever heard of - they take it very seriously). And there are a bunch of films with John Wayne in.

And not just The Searchers.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

And yet, go to serious film magazine Sight & Sound, and their top 1000 films of all time. (The top is a subtitled thing no one has ever heard of - they take it very seriously). And there are a bunch of films with John Wayne in.

I don’t think I’ve ever watched a John Wayne film 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Watch The Searchers. It is genuinely brilliant. The rest ... there are some decent ones in amongst the mountain of not-decent but that one is a superb piece of work.

You'll also recognise just how much later films 'homaged' its shots.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The Quiet Man is a cheerful bit of nonsense, as John Wayne's character travels back to the old country (a gloriously clichéd Emerald Isle, begorrah!) and various high-jinks ensue.

You can tell Wayne's having a lot of fun, there's a cracking punch-up with Vic McLaglen, and Maureen O'Hara looks gorgeous.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

One that has never had much air time on TV is In Harms Way  with the Duke , Kirk Douglas , Patricia Neal.

made in '65 in B/W , really good trailor from Otto Preminger the director.

In Harm's Way (1965) - IMDb

Edited by Stirlin
  • Like 1

As for Sight and Sound magazine  ,  i had to to trawl down to no. 38 to find a film i regularly watch and still enjoy , and that was Some Like It Hot  .  Most of the "top" films voted by the critics are arty films , all about how they were shot , the scenery , how different camera angles enhance certain scenes ,costumes ,colours etc.......but then again its very much like art  , i can`t believe Jackson Pollack got away with that rubbish  he continually dished up, but thats another debate .