Championship standard grounds

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

How are Toronto getting away with this, todays ground v Swinton.

31944135_1962668897076470_3091384543307890688_n.jpg

I think the question is are we still applying the same laws to uk clubs as those in canada.

That is something that needs to be seriously addressed if we are going down the transatlantic route.

1 hour ago, Woodyhkr said:

How are they getting away with playing a one-off game in a sub-standard "stadium"? I put a bit of it in bold to help you figure it out. Have you seen some of the other stadiums in rugby league?

I would buy that 'one off game' but they have just played their first half of the season away and played another 'one off game' at London Skolars v Fax. Better facilities are available in Canada, they should be made to pay for them, and remember the local soccer club has played all winter on grass

15 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

I would buy that 'one off game' but they have just played their first half of the season away and played another 'one off game' at London Skolars v Fax. Better facilities are available in Canada, they should be made to pay for them, and remember the local soccer club has played all winter on grass

Do you think swinton would have been granted the same benefit if it was at home?

Is this an issue of cost, other venues must have been available?

If costs are important why? 

33 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Believe me. No one plays anything in the Winter in Toronto on grass. Ice is about the best you can do. Soccer is played in Summer.

54 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

Believe me. No one plays anything in the Winter in Toronto on grass. Ice is about the best you can do. Soccer is played in Summer.

Undersoil heating is the future.

13 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Undersoil heating is the future.

Doesn't work well in Canada due to the extreme cold and weather in the winter.  Here is a picture I took at this year's Grey Cup in November in Ottawa (Canadian Football League National Championship)

20171126_182423_Burst26.thumb.jpg.7878dffa89c4f7eb1e0e42e8a8622572.jpg

That was at the beginning of the match.  They had plows on the field at halftime.

Fletcher's Field was always a strange choice and shows a lack of ambition, it is very much an amateur ground. 

I understand that they tried to use one of the University stadiums, but there was some issue with the goal posts (?).  The Ontario Arrows rugby union team is playing at York University with the same kick off time as the Wolfpack today.

IMO, a better option would be to try and play in Hamilton to test the market. 

2 hours ago, dixiedean said:

Toronto FC have already played a bunch of home games on real grass. I was there last night.  In future seasons, the Wolfpack need to start home games earlier (beginning of April).

13 minutes ago, ojx said:

Toronto FC have already played a bunch of home games on real grass. I was there last night.  In future seasons, the Wolfpack need to start home games earlier (beginning of April).

Am aware of that. Was merely pointing out that they certainly do not play "all winter."

1 hour ago, CanadianRugger said:

Doesn't work well in Canada due to the extreme cold and weather in the winter.  Here is a picture I took at this year's Grey Cup in November in Ottawa (Canadian Football League National Championship)

20171126_182423_Burst26.thumb.jpg.7878dffa89c4f7eb1e0e42e8a8622572.jpg

That was at the beginning of the match.  They had plows on the field at halftime.

But they still played...

2 hours ago, SL17 said:

But they still played...

American and Canadian Football do not stop because of weather, there have been some legendary Canadian Football games played in ridiculous conditions.

I don't mind the game being at Fletchers.  It is an amateur Union ground but they will be sure to target the Rugby Union audience in Toronto.

I drove in to Downtown TO this morning and went to The Wolfpack club shop.  A number of people in there buying gear and Lamport is finally getting the new field put down.  Workers were laying turf on a Saturday so things are happening.

2 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

American and Canadian Football do not stop because of weather, there have been some legendary Canadian Football games played in ridiculous conditions.

Some good illustrations of how extreme Canadian weather can be there, but as that game is thoroughly dominated by rules, coaches and players imported from the US while their Canadian counterparts have been pushed to the margins of the sport it cannot legitimately be called Canadian Football and none of those teams deserve to have their names on the Grey Cup.

Archived