2019 Squad

marklaspalmas

5 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Tansey on trial, not very inspiring if I must be honest. Season Tickets were selling like hot cakes upon the news of straight forward promotion & relegation + 3 PNG signings, should imagine they've slowed down considerably over the last 10 days or so.....we need to give these papuan lads and the youth signings a good welcome for them to start producing the goods. Unless we hear news of quality signings soon it's a case of mid table for us and then we go into stagnation mode after a few seasons of this yes, like Dewsbury, Batley, Rochdale, Swinton, Barrow and the heartland league 1 clubs. 

Dewsbury? Batley? To read stuff on here ther'e going to be better then us - at last!!! 

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems that a lot of clubs fans are writing us off before a balls even been kicked... Yes we have lost a lot of players, the likes of Ridyard, Holmes and Briscoe are as good as it gets at this level, the rest I think can be replaced. We got half a season each out of Holmes and Ridyard, Briscoe had gone 3/4s in, Hock spent the last part suspended, Wheeldon and Farrell out injured half a season and Walton out most of the season.. Despite all of this with most of our cap on the sidelines, we finished TWO points off second. 

So why do fans honestly think where gunna be so terrible next season? We went Toronto wth none of this players and won let's not forget! I'm pleased with out signings so far, the two lads from Batley both come highly rated, I've always been impressed espically with Day. We have signed Delaney, a bloke who's played at the highest level for years and his trophy collection speaks for it's self. Have his best days gone? Yes but you don't play at the level he has for as many years without been 'decent'. We have re-signed Bussey who for me is as good as any 13 at this level. Yes he has made mistakes but ask Toronto fans if they rate him or not. We have three PNG internationals coming, can't say I've seen anything of Thompson but the Boas brothers just played as part of the PNG team who beat England Knights, apparently are own national teams future. From what I saw of Watson, we have some player there I tell ya and Ase didn't look shabby crossing over for a meat pie either... Finally, you add the likes of Davis, Wheeldon, Cooper into the mix and that is a very capable pack at this level, we certainly won't be bullied anyway! 

4 or 5 decent signings and abit of help from rhinos (Newman and Brisoce/Golding please!) we should be there or there abouts. No point having lads who don't want to be here on books not matter how good they are, let's get behind the lads who want to be here this season!!

Up The Rovers!!

7 minutes ago, Notaek Rega said:

It seems that a lot of clubs fans are writing us off before a balls even been kicked... Yes we have lost a lot of players, the likes of Ridyard, Holmes and Briscoe are as good as it gets at this level, the rest I think can be replaced. We got half a season each out of Holmes and Ridyard, Briscoe had gone 3/4s in, Hock spent the last part suspended, Wheeldon and Farrell out injured half a season and Walton out most of the season.. Despite all of this with most of our cap on the sidelines, we finished TWO points off second. 

So why do fans honestly think where gunna be so terrible next season? We went Toronto wth none of this players and won let's not forget! I'm pleased with out signings so far, the two lads from Batley both come highly rated, I've always been impressed espically with Day. We have signed Delaney, a bloke who's played at the highest level for years and his trophy collection speaks for it's self. Have his best days gone? Yes but you don't play at the level he has for as many years without been 'decent'. We have re-signed Bussey who for me is as good as any 13 at this level. Yes he has made mistakes but ask Toronto fans if they rate him or not. We have three PNG internationals coming, can't say I've seen anything of Thompson but the Boas brothers just played as part of the PNG team who beat England Knights, apparently are own national teams future. From what I saw of Watson, we have some player there I tell ya and Ase didn't look shabby crossing over for a meat pie either... Finally, you add the likes of Davis, Wheeldon, Cooper into the mix and that is a very capable pack at this level, we certainly won't be bullied anyway! 

4 or 5 decent signings and abit of help from rhinos (Newman and Brisoce/Golding please!) we should be there or there abouts. No point having lads who don't want to be here on books not matter how good they are, let's get behind the lads who want to be here this season!!

Up The Rovers!!

Good post , feel a bit better reading this which makes a change from the negative posts. Looking forward to Leigh , Bradford and Fax at home.

11 minutes ago, Notaek Rega said:

Up The Rovers!!

I'm not writing you guys off.  The Boa brothers is good news and Bussey is a good pickup.   I think you guys will be right in there this year....just like last year.

8 minutes ago, Blue Pike said:

Good post , feel a bit better reading this which makes a change from the negative posts. Looking forward to Leigh , Bradford and Fax at home.

Mate it's been a tough start for us fans this year, seeing a massive turnover of players (again), loosing coach and Ridyard this close to preason. If we can make a shrewd appointment and get the "right" players in I think we will be dark horses. I like the way Halifax do business, investing money well on the "right" players, keeping the nucleus signed up each season and the reserves setup been used to it's full potential. I'd be on blower to their reserve coach, he certainly has an eye for a player...

33 minutes ago, Notaek Rega said:

Mate it's been a tough start for us fans this year, seeing a massive turnover of players (again), loosing coach and Ridyard this close to preason. If we can make a shrewd appointment and get the "right" players in I think we will be dark horses. I like the way Halifax do business, investing money well on the "right" players, keeping the nucleus signed up each season and the reserves setup been used to it's full potential. I'd be on blower to their reserve coach, he certainly has an eye for a player...

Are you Ager Keaton? Just a guess. Liked your posting. Good common sense

1 hour ago, Notaek Rega said:

Up The Rovers!!

Cracking post about time someone else showed a bit of positivity sick of all the doom and gloom merchants on here moaning before we have even kicked a ball.

3 hours ago, Notaek Rega said:

Up The Rovers!!

Your right the two Batley lads wont let you down that's for sure, and I think when young Harrison fills out ,with his work rate he could make the move to super league.

3 hours ago, Notaek Rega said:

Up The Rovers!!

I admire your positivity.  I have to admit to being a glass half empty Rovers fan (as per recent thread) but the key point seems to be those 4 or 5 decent signings.  I'm not sure they're going to come.  If they do I might share your optimism.

We shall see mate, it all depends on context. Some fans have rather unrealistic expectations about possible targets, I'm certain I've seen one bloke say we should go after Drinkwater which is just laughable. Others are drawn to "Big names" e.g Sammuts, we have been down this road a lot and it never seems to work. Others like "young and hungry" players, usually cheaper and abit more of a risk but there's always the chance of finding the next Greg worthington, Dane Manning. Again with have been down this road (The Bastain era...). For me it's been realistic, we have lost out on a lot of funding which means the loss of several key players, we have to be clever are money and is chucking all are money on a big name like Sammut smart business? He is proven at this level as been one of the best at what he does but commands a high fee. Or would we better getting 4-5 lesser known names but are decent championship player, not as exciting agreed but look how last season panned out...quality 19 but not much after that which cost us. There was not much hype with Sharpes signings but they did the business on the pitch and got the funding.

53 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

I admire your positivity.  I have to admit to being a glass half empty Rovers fan (as per recent thread) but the key point seems to be those 4 or 5 decent signings.  I'm not sure they're going to come.  If they do I might share your optimism.

you only have to look at the negativity surrounding Leigh not so long ago people saying they were going down even going under now all of a sudden a couple of signings nicked a coach and it’s all positive again 

we have a group that’s just getting on with it they hav not been coached by Duffy most of them so they won’t no any different Greg the conditioner and Paul March will be getting them in shape now and we have new additions to come so come February we will be ready let people think we’re done and right us off I’m happy with that we are always stronger when we are up against it that’s always been our mantra being overwhelming favourites has never really been our thing I’m glad the others are quietly enjoying our so called implosion it will make it that much sweeter when we beat them ....AGAIN 

through thick n thin ...!

I think the above is a sensible approach, we might actually go under the radar for once and as a part-time team on a much-reduced budget from previous years it might be nice to be underdogs for once. There's a thread on one of the other teams' forum predicting top 5 and so far nobody at all has predicted us to make it into the 5.

I think a lot is going to depend on what sort of impact the Boas brothers make, not least how soon they arrive and learn the calls/plays etc, in the circumstances it's not ideal them not arriving until January especially with a new coach still to be appointed but I hope it's early in the month not late, and after previous experiences I'm sure we'll all be nervous about visas etc until they get here.

The other thing we will probably needed on our much-reduced budget is better luck with injuries both for us and our DR partners, if we get Newman and one of Briscoe or Handley  that will make a big difference to how our back line looks.

The pack is starting to look ok for me...Wheeldon, Cooper, Delaney, Lockwood, Bussey and Day as middles and Davies and Harrison on the edge has a solid and proven look to me, we need another hooker but otherwise with DR as well I'd say we're ready to go as far as the forwards are concerned. I'm as unsure as most about the signing of Tansey but I suppose the 6-week trial gives the coaching staff chance to look at him and young Hartley and see who looks the best option.

35 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

, we need another hooker 

HOOKER thats a novel concept and coming from a former nunber ninbe sadly no such thing as a hooker anymore its just some one who goes to acting halfback and evereybody should be able to do that but I know what you mean somebody with a bit of nous and quick at the play the ball looking at the squad wev'e got maskil watson  did it last week in a test match and i would be tempted to utilise punchard davies or bussey  three quick players all with good rugby brains

20 hours ago, POR said:

HOOKER thats a novel concept and coming from a former nunber ninbe sadly no such thing as a hooker anymore its just some one who goes to acting halfback and evereybody should be able to do that but I know what you mean somebody with a bit of nous and quick at the play the ball looking at the squad wev'e got maskil watson  did it last week in a test match and i would be tempted to utilise punchard davies or bussey  three quick players all with good rugby brains

It's just shorter to type than "dummy half" or "acting half back". Maybe just "9" is better.

As for your suggestions (apart from Maskill who willl obviously be 1 contender), I thought Watson Boas might be the plan at 9 until Riddy went but we might need him at half back now. Punchard maybe though I wonder if he could stand up to the rigours of a full tackling set in the middle. Davies and Bussey no imo, both have been played there before but both are far better elsewhere.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I think the above is a sensible approach, we might actually go under the radar for once and as a part-time team on a much-reduced budget from previous years it might be nice to be underdogs for once. There's a thread on one of the other teams' forum predicting top 5 and so far nobody at all has predicted us to make it into the 5.

I think a lot is going to depend on what sort of impact the Boas brothers make, not least how soon they arrive and learn the calls/plays etc, in the circumstances it's not ideal them not arriving until January especially with a new coach still to be appointed but I hope it's early in the month not late, and after previous experiences I'm sure we'll all be nervous about visas etc until they get here.

The other thing we will probably needed on our much-reduced budget is better luck with injuries both for us and our DR partners, if we get Newman and one of Briscoe or Handley  that will make a big difference to how our back line looks.

The pack is starting to look ok for me...Wheeldon, Cooper, Delaney, Lockwood, Bussey and Day as middles and Davies and Harrison on the edge has a solid and proven look to me, we need another hooker but otherwise with DR as well I'd say we're ready to go as far as the forwards are concerned. I'm as unsure as most about the signing of Tansey but I suppose the 6-week trial gives the coaching staff chance to look at him and young Hartley and see who looks the best option.

Pretty much hit nail on head for me. Agree our season depends on the Boas brothers and how quick they settle. As we know they are both highly though of at the level they are playing at which to be fair is a good standard. They are also playing for a very capable PNG side, it's surely something for us fans to get abit excited about? The centre is certainly an "unknown" quantity but let's hope we have got are selves three gems... For me a new 9 is an absolute priority! That is where if we spend money on one position, I'd like it to be. I'm not a fan of Tansey what so ever, to say he has not lived up to his earlier hype is an under statement... However, I'm rather optimistically looking forward to seeing how young Hartely goes in preason. This is his chance to make to a real name for himself, we as a club were once famous from turning young talent into super league quality players... If Hartley is the real deal then for me Tansey would make sense, an experienced player who can cover the back line. 

I know a lot of it is "clutching at straws" and could be foolish optimism but that's why we support Fev, we never have a dull beginning to the season (would be nice for a change though) and we have been in much worse situations before. Let's at least give the lads a chance, rugby is never won on paper... 

I for one will be keeping a close eye on are next few signings and hoping with got ourselves a few hidden gems. 

54 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Yes. I'm sure we'd all be much more positive when we announce five new signings and a head coach and if we believed in or trusted DR to work for us.

Aye we might as well bother not turning up have we? We have no reason to be positive really, where not gunna sign any one else, Rhinos will screw us over again and nab Tansey off us after he scores in 18 consecutive games, we will finish season with a squad of 14 again as them bloomin Rhinos never lend us anyone decent and C*s will not only win double, they will get a nice new shiney stadium...

1 hour ago, Notaek Rega said:

Aye we might as well bother not turning up have we? We have no reason to be positive really, where not gunna sign any one else, Rhinos will screw us over again and nab Tansey off us after he scores in 18 consecutive games, we will finish season with a squad of 14 again as them bloomin Rhinos never lend us anyone decent and C*s will not only win double, they will get a nice new shiney stadium...

It was all quite believable until this........

8 hours ago, Notaek Rega said:

Yes that's the good news so let's now have what you feel might go wrong?

On 11/26/2018 at 10:28 AM, POR said:

i don't think anyone could play 9. his passing has to be good quality. when you've got a forward running on to the ball, he doesn't want it hitting his shoulder or his knee. we could do with another Andy Ellis.

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

Archived